Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.4

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I found a review claiming this to be an excellent foundation . I wasted $6 A complete let down. It has some coverage to it but wears off fast .I used a primer I applied this foundation with a brush.It is very greasy/oily and made my chin bumpy looking . After 2 hours it had settled into my light crows feet making them look worse than ever .If you have mature skin and any fine line warning it makes them worse. Also I noticed that it turned my face orange after it set I got a color with yellow undertones because I thought it would prevent the orange but no such luck

I love my other Deciem products, so I had pretty high hopes for this foundation despite its price. I was sorely disappointed.

I don't know if I got a dud bottle, because there are positive reviews for this foundation, and with the way it performs on my skin I don't understand how anyone can like it even a little bit. It's strangely watery yet dry-feeling at the same time. It applies almost gritty, like the pigment particles are so large they're actually visible to the naked eye. This magnifies any texture on my skin and makes me look like my face is carved from sandstone. Not a look I strive for.

It also refuses to blend, just gliding across the skin like I'm coated in teflon. I've tried numerous primers and applications tools and it does the same thing with all of them. This makes it a struggle to get an even application. It doesn't set AT ALL, even with generous amounts of setting powder. I can't touch my face while wearing this or it will come right off. In fact, I have to pin my HAIR back because it takes off the foundation if it gets in my face. Forget sweating even just a little bit - it actually runs down my face leaving very visible streaks.

Since it refuses to set, I can't use any products on top of it. No contouring, nu blush, no highlights, no bronzer. Not even concealer if I don't avoid the eye area altogether with the foundation.

This is the most horrible foundation I've ever tried. I can't find a single thing that I like about it, and you couldn't pay me to wear it in public. My bottle is going straight in the trash, and I'm going back to my Wet n Wild and Korean BB creams.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lovely dewy finish, but my skin HATED it. My skin is now red, angry and flaky - having to use just E45 and bio oil on it at the moment. From reading up, it could be the coconut alkanes in it. Really surprised as I don’t have particularly sensitive skin. Perricone MD is the only other foundation that made me break out.

If you can choose the right colour online and your skin can tolerate it, it’s a great buy - but not for me!

This product just came out around the time I was ordering a few other products from the site and I thought, 'why not?' and got both the Serum and the Coverage products. Because why not. I thought it would be fun to see how they measure up against my HG foundations, the description certainly has a lot of high claims. I got the shade 1.0N for my pale skin, and it matches me quite well, shade-wise. Spreads like any silicone-based foundation, no drag on skin. A single layer (with a foundation brush) does give sheer coverage, it didn't cover anything. Two layers - same thing, everything I'd want covered is still visible. Piling it on makes it go sort of greasy, like stirring balm cleanser with a brush all over face. I could see some of the pigment gathering in pores and lines, which is never a good sign with my skin. Finish is definitely on the dewy side and it doesn't "set" without a powder. Which is all quite strange, as the description claims a semi-matte finish and a spreadability system to keep the foundation from settling into lines and make it longer-lasting. Lasting power is a bit of a foggy matter to begin with due to the exceptionally sheer pigmentation, but the foundation does get more and more shiny quickly (3-4 h mark). I wasn't impressed. No coverage, no sign of texture improvements (like some of the sheer cover products that blur surface irregularities and make skin look airbrushed), quite the opposite and turns greasy fast.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am in the U.K and waited eagerly for 3 weeks for this foundation. I chose two colours and both shades were fine for me. Sadly, that is where it ends as the foundation itself was so disappointing. I have tried it twice, with and without primer and with my fingers and a beauty blender, both times, it just clings to pores and sits in any fine lines or dry areas I have. It also disappears in areas like my chin and around nose within a few hours. I do have dry skin, but find this needs a slight powder down in areas and I always lightly powder any foundation. I looked older and at 51, this is something I don't want to do. I don't think this likes being powdered as it quickly looked 'cakey' . It also doesn't take blusher or bronzer very well. I had to apply twice the amount I normally do, which was weird and I wonder if it's because it's full of silicones. I didn't feel "me" wearing it. I really didn't like it and as I knew I'd never wear it again, they're in the bin. Definitely over hyped. Back to my beloved other foundations.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a lot of skin care from The Ordinary, which i really like and use regularly, so when i heard they were coming out with a foundation needless to say I was very intrigued. I love the concept behind this brand, few ingredients, cheap products and sleek packaging. Unfortunately this really didn't work out for me!

They also released a full-coverage foundation, but I bought the serum one because I like less coverage and luminosity, which serum foundations often have. I chose the shade 1.2N. It's always tricky choosing a foundation shade online, but I think I got away with it, the shade matches me pretty well.

I ordered the foundation on April 24th, and on the website they said that it would take around 10-15 days before it shipped, because of the high request on this product. Afterward I regularly received e-mails from the company, saying that they were sorry, but It would take a little while before my order will ship. Finally on May 12th, my order shipped. And a couple days later on May 16th I received my package.

I immediately started playing around with it, but I was quickly disappointed. The foundation doesn't blend very well, and it looks and feels very cakey and dry on the skin. Not what I expected at all. I can't say anything about the longevity of this foundation, because I couldn't get myself to wear it outside my house. Though I've tried it at home a couple times afterwords, but same results every time. Very disappointed and would definitely NOT recommend.

The packaging is alright, though I really wish i came with a cap. It has this twist function, so when twisted you can't pump any product out. I find this to be very messy. I must say that it's very affordable, I believe I gave 6,5 € minus shipping.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

EDIT: This ended up breaking me out in angry red spots. My guess is it's the silicone. Into the bin, alas. If this works for you, fill your boots, but if you have sensitive skin, be aware.

Very serviceable for the price (six bucks and change!) The staff member at the Deciem store tried to steer me towards the 2.0 N, but I opted for the 2.0 Y/O--the extra warmth adds a bit of life to my aging NC 20/25 complexion. During my first few forays into wearing this, I used too much (a full pump) and this led to too much fuzzy patchiness. Half a pump, used over a good moisturizer and sunscreen, works a treat. I dot it near the centre of my face, blend it with warm fingers and then buff in the excess with a dense brush. Wears very nicely. I'm not a foundation sort of person, but the light, glowy coverage of this makes it the perfect winter complexion evener and far outdoes my monstrously expensive Vapour Atmosphere Foundation Stick. Advice: invest in the pipette (90 cents from Deciem). The pump on this leaks and makes every deployment of the product messy and potentially lethal to walls and fabrics.

Highly pigmented, a little goes a long way and it is very easy to apply and provides great coverage.

I do not wear foundation on a daily basis. Only on certain occasions (weddings and other events that go on all day) will I wear foundation to keep shine at bay. This product is fine for those purposes and very affordable, but I won’t be repurchasing because without fail I will end up with clogged pores and minor breakouts (whiteheads and blackheads) the next day. Nothing so bad that I can’t manage it since I use it so rarely, but I would never use this everyday.

When travelling I recommend taping the top to secure it in the “closed” position as I’ve found the product tends to leak because the cap isn’t very secure and can easily be turned to “open” inside your make up bag.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

An initially very pretty, light coverage foundation that unfortunately could not handle my skin's oily or dry days. On either side of the spectrum, about 2 hours in, the foundation separated on my face, making me look like I had scales. It would either cling to every single semi-dry patch or the oil made it break up all over my face (even when set with powder). Its initial finish is really quite lovely, and I wish it worked better on me. Doesn't cover much, but offers a general evening out of the skintone. Won't do anything for serious discoloration. It also seemed to make my concealer cake more.

Bottle is fine. It doesn't look bad, but feels cheap (which, given the price of the foundation, shouldn't be surprising and is understandable). A luxe foundation this is not but, again, it's dirt cheap. I was pretty impressed with the shade range, but struggled to find an undertone that fit my mixed race skin. The pink tone was too pink and the yellow tone was too yellow.

Given its super light formula, the obvious OG comparison here is MAC Face & Body. F&B is...a lot better, with longer staying power and a really stunning finish. BUT I will say that if you have very normal skin, this does offer a more matte alternative than F&B's super glow and doesn't have as tacky a finish. It also has a slightly higher level of coverage.

If you have normal skin, this might work for you, but those with dry or (especially) oily skin, might not be a good option.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is very thin. I had high hopes because I used to love MAC F&B and this consistency was similar. I wanted this for redness cover and didn't expect it to conceal any blemishes. I could not find a good way to apply it. I tried multiple brushes, beauty blender, hands... It showed dry spots in places that I didn't even know were there! This foundation stuck on all the already good spots on my skin and slid off the parts that needed covering. So I looked cakey AND red faced. Not a good look. Really disappointed, but at least I didn't spend much.