Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

3.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

An initially very pretty, light coverage foundation that unfortunately could not handle my skin's oily or dry days. On either side of the spectrum, about 2 hours in, the foundation separated on my face, making me look like I had scales. It would either cling to every single semi-dry patch or the oil made it break up all over my face (even when set with powder). Its initial finish is really quite lovely, and I wish it worked better on me. Doesn't cover much, but offers a general evening out of the skintone. Won't do anything for serious discoloration. It also seemed to make my concealer cake more.

Bottle is fine. It doesn't look bad, but feels cheap (which, given the price of the foundation, shouldn't be surprising and is understandable). A luxe foundation this is not but, again, it's dirt cheap. I was pretty impressed with the shade range, but struggled to find an undertone that fit my mixed race skin. The pink tone was too pink and the yellow tone was too yellow.

Given its super light formula, the obvious OG comparison here is MAC Face & Body. F&B is...a lot better, with longer staying power and a really stunning finish. BUT I will say that if you have very normal skin, this does offer a more matte alternative than F&B's super glow and doesn't have as tacky a finish. It also has a slightly higher level of coverage.

If you have normal skin, this might work for you, but those with dry or (especially) oily skin, might not be a good option.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a pretty early review, but sometimes you just know when a product isn't going to work for you, and it's pointless to press on. I've used it twice, both times with terrible results. I got it in the lightest shade with pink undertones (shade 1.0P). It definitely is very pale (a bit too pale for me, which is pretty rare), but I would say it's more neutral than pink in undertones. When a line has both yellow, neutral and pink undertones I expect the yellow and pink ones to be distinctly warm and cold respectively. I could get away with it, though, since my undertones are somewhere between neutral and cool.

The foundation is so thin, it basically absorbed right into my damp beautyblender. With a brush, it goes on very streaky. It's so thin in consistency, and it just sort of slides around the face when you try to blend and even it out. The coverage is minimal, and it does not cover redness whatsoever. I don't have much redness apart from acne/scarring, but it did little to nothing to neutralize even that. Overall, the dry patches and healing breakouts were very noticable. The first time I used it I set it with translucent setting powder (Laura Mercier's Loose powder), and the second time I set it with a powder foundation (PUR 4-in-1 pressed mineral makeup). With the powder foundation I naturally got some additional coverage and it evened everything out a bit, too, but after a few hours it didn't really look much different from using a translucent powder. It very quickly broke down and wore off, not only on my t-zone but also on my cheeks. I also got terribly oily. I looked a mess, is the bottom line, and I just wanted to wash my face ASAP. I honestly like my bare skin more than this foundation, and that's coming from someone who hates being bare faced. Having only used it twice, I can't say whether or not it broke me out, though..

If you already have flawless skin with no redness and no texture, that is neither dry nor oily, then maybe it could work. Otherwise, I'm sceptical.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ Very, very cheap (I saw someone saying it's not that cheap due to its size, but that's untrue as it's the standard 30ml/1fl oz bottle)
+ The lightweight claim is true
+ The palest shade is truly pale (though not all that pink in undertones)

- Essentially no coverage. And I don't mean light coverage, I really do mean No Coverage.
- Breaks down/separates very quickly
- Made my t-zone and cheeks look much oilier than usual
- Too thin to work with. The little coverage it has disappears with a beautyblender, and it looks streaky applied with a brush
- 21 shades in total is pretty good, but the vast majority are still lighter shades

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's a light- medium coverage depending on how you apply it. Brushes aren't the best idea because it streaks like crazy. It's very liquidy. It's dewy so will need to be set because it will slide all over. Although it's dewy, it somehow intensifies micro dry patches or skin texture. It sort of clings to it which doesn't look good. I have normal skin, but after 2 hours, it starts to slide around and transfer so easily. I have the shade 1.2 N and it oxidizes to be definitely darker and definitely not neutral in undertone like it should be. Almost pink leaning. Check my pictures added to see what I mean. For reference, my skin is NC15-20. Very neutral undertone though.

If you have nice skin and just want to even it out more while giving yourself a glow, this is ideal. If you rarely wear foundation but would like to have some around, best to have an affordable from The Ordinary.

Before and after look on my blemishes skin is shown in video and/or on my blog.

So, when I first got this foundation, I really loved it. I tried it on right away, the shade was perfect, finish was suuuper natural, it evened out my redness really well, it just looked like my skin but a lot better. I even worked out in it and it wore off really naturally.
Now, it looks good right after i put it on but then when I get home after say, 3 hrs or more, it always looks cakey and separated. Sometimes even quicker.

I havent changed my skincare routine or anything else really, so I'm thinking maybe its the weather? It's gotten a lot hotter since I first got it, so maybe it doesnt react well to sweat or drinnes? I'm not sure, but I dont really like how it is rn. If I find out the reason or a solution I'll update. For now, 3 stars :(

Finally a foundation that matches my super pale skin. I use 1N. I really like the packaging as well, it doesn't have any fragrance and alcohol which is nice. The coverage is very light, helps even out my skin tone and it doesn't feel like anything on my skin. It lasts for maybe 4 hours. However I can't wear it when my skin is dry because it absorbs all the liquid in it and just leaves awkward looking patches of pigment on my skin. I will use it up but won't buy it again.

HG foundation for me.

It has the consistency of water but has an impressive amount of coverage given how light it is. The result is semi-matte and very natural. It lasts a long while with minimal powdering. I would surely buy again and again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I ordered this end April and just received 1 of 9, the rest are still pending shipment.
The first that has arrived is the serum 1.2YG. It's a perfect match for my NC20 skin. I don't see any gold shimmer but it can look very slightly yellow. This isn't a problem as I'm quite yellow being Asian.
The key to this foundation is proper moisturising. Although the consistency is watery, it somehow dried to a matte finish. I set it with my hour glass ambient powder in incandescent light. It's very beautiful and skin like. It's really my skin but better. I've tried using my fingers and the real techniques sponge and I have to say, using my fingers is a lot better. I use less and have a higher coverage. Takes me 10 seconds Vs a minute using the sponge.
It hasn't completely covered my acne scarring but I dab some Estee Lauder concealer on light warm medium and I'm good to go.
This lasts quite a good few hours. I've worn it for 6 hrs and it hasn't caked or smudged or melted. Given that it's 16 degrees in Melbourne, it's doing great.
I'm waiting for the rest to come and I'll add on to this review.
Totally worth it for the price. Very pigmented and it doesn't feel like you have makeup on. The wait is long though. I ordered mine from Victoria Health.