Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

3.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a pretty early review, but sometimes you just know when a product isn't going to work for you, and it's pointless to press on. I've used it twice, both times with terrible results. I got it in the lightest shade with pink undertones (shade 1.0P). It definitely is very pale (a bit too pale for me, which is pretty rare), but I would say it's more neutral than pink in undertones. When a line has both yellow, neutral and pink undertones I expect the yellow and pink ones to be distinctly warm and cold respectively. I could get away with it, though, since my undertones are somewhere between neutral and cool.

The foundation is so thin, it basically absorbed right into my damp beautyblender. With a brush, it goes on very streaky. It's so thin in consistency, and it just sort of slides around the face when you try to blend and even it out. The coverage is minimal, and it does not cover redness whatsoever. I don't have much redness apart from acne/scarring, but it did little to nothing to neutralize even that. Overall, the dry patches and healing breakouts were very noticable. The first time I used it I set it with translucent setting powder (Laura Mercier's Loose powder), and the second time I set it with a powder foundation (PUR 4-in-1 pressed mineral makeup). With the powder foundation I naturally got some additional coverage and it evened everything out a bit, too, but after a few hours it didn't really look much different from using a translucent powder. It very quickly broke down and wore off, not only on my t-zone but also on my cheeks. I also got terribly oily. I looked a mess, is the bottom line, and I just wanted to wash my face ASAP. I honestly like my bare skin more than this foundation, and that's coming from someone who hates being bare faced. Having only used it twice, I can't say whether or not it broke me out, though..

If you already have flawless skin with no redness and no texture, that is neither dry nor oily, then maybe it could work. Otherwise, I'm sceptical.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ Very, very cheap (I saw someone saying it's not that cheap due to its size, but that's untrue as it's the standard 30ml/1fl oz bottle)
+ The lightweight claim is true
+ The palest shade is truly pale (though not all that pink in undertones)

- Essentially no coverage. And I don't mean light coverage, I really do mean No Coverage.
- Breaks down/separates very quickly
- Made my t-zone and cheeks look much oilier than usual
- Too thin to work with. The little coverage it has disappears with a beautyblender, and it looks streaky applied with a brush
- 21 shades in total is pretty good, but the vast majority are still lighter shades

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I waited until I wore this at least 5 times before writing this. I haven't done a review in a while but felt the need because this was just so disappointing. The only good thing being the low price and it does feel pretty light on so a plus there. I tried this a few different ways: with primer, without primer, over sunscreen, not over sunscreen, etc... but after about hour 2 this stuff just looks horrible. I don't think I've ever had a foundation settle so much into my pores. It also gets really patchy. I'm wearing it now at work and can't wait to go home and take it off. Apparently it works for some people but maybe it's a skin-type sort of thing.

HG foundation for me.

It has the consistency of water but has an impressive amount of coverage given how light it is. The result is semi-matte and very natural. It lasts a long while with minimal powdering. I would surely buy again and again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's a light- medium coverage depending on how you apply it. Brushes aren't the best idea because it streaks like crazy. It's very liquidy. It's dewy so will need to be set because it will slide all over. Although it's dewy, it somehow intensifies micro dry patches or skin texture. It sort of clings to it which doesn't look good. I have normal skin, but after 2 hours, it starts to slide around and transfer so easily. I have the shade 1.2 N and it oxidizes to be definitely darker and definitely not neutral in undertone like it should be. Almost pink leaning. Check my pictures added to see what I mean. For reference, my skin is NC15-20. Very neutral undertone though.

If you have nice skin and just want to even it out more while giving yourself a glow, this is ideal. If you rarely wear foundation but would like to have some around, best to have an affordable from The Ordinary.

Before and after look on my blemishes skin is shown in video and/or on my blog.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I ordered this end April and just received 1 of 9, the rest are still pending shipment.
The first that has arrived is the serum 1.2YG. It's a perfect match for my NC20 skin. I don't see any gold shimmer but it can look very slightly yellow. This isn't a problem as I'm quite yellow being Asian.
The key to this foundation is proper moisturising. Although the consistency is watery, it somehow dried to a matte finish. I set it with my hour glass ambient powder in incandescent light. It's very beautiful and skin like. It's really my skin but better. I've tried using my fingers and the real techniques sponge and I have to say, using my fingers is a lot better. I use less and have a higher coverage. Takes me 10 seconds Vs a minute using the sponge.
It hasn't completely covered my acne scarring but I dab some Estee Lauder concealer on light warm medium and I'm good to go.
This lasts quite a good few hours. I've worn it for 6 hrs and it hasn't caked or smudged or melted. Given that it's 16 degrees in Melbourne, it's doing great.
I'm waiting for the rest to come and I'll add on to this review.
Totally worth it for the price. Very pigmented and it doesn't feel like you have makeup on. The wait is long though. I ordered mine from Victoria Health.

Video Reviews & Tutorials