Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Combination

3.6

I have never worn foundation, only a BB cream. I recently went to the Deciem store to pick up some skincare items and this serum foundation caught my eye and upon testing it, I fell in love. The bottle is adorable and comes with a pump. I got shade 1.0N and it’s a perfect match. I do not use a primer before applying this, only sunscreen. I blend it in with my fingers or the Ecotools kabuki brush. The Ordinary Serum Foundation doesn’t streak and is very easy to blend. There is no smell and it doesn’t cake. It is not too matte or too dewy, and it feels like you are wearing nothing at all. To top it off, there is no oxidization. For reference, I have combination skin with no blemishes. The price is unbelievable low! This will replace my $47 BB cream. Thank you Deciem, I love you!

I really really like this <3

It's got good medium coverage. I have shade 2.1 Y, and it is almost yellow enough for me, which I love. I've so far not been able to find a foundation yellow enough for my undertone and this is the closest I've ever gotten.

I love the texture, it so light, it blends like a dream, and just meshes with your skin, makes it look so smooth. You know how when you're 1cm away from a mirror, you can sometimes see there's foundation on? Yeah, you can't see this one, it's practically invisible.

I did notice however, that it transfers more easily than my other foundations. Nothing horrible, but keep that in mind and avoid touching your face. Additionally, if I added two layers, it can sink into fine lines just a Teensy Tiny bit. Barely even noticeable unless you're 1cm away from a mirror, but it's probs better to use a light layer if you have lots of line on your face.

I feel like the best application method is to put it on with a brush, then tap it in with a sponge to get rid of streaks.

Overall: would definitely recommend if you want a lightweight, medium coverage foundation.

*This review is for the serum foundation, not the full coverage foundation which is actually pretty good*: Eeeeeeeee....no. Good pigment, but extremely drying - like a heat-seeking missile for any barely-even-dry patches. It's somehow also very oily and *still* drying - slides around my face while highlighting every single pore I have. The wear just gets worse throughout the day. At 10.00 it was worth a shot but I am not sure I will ever really use this again.

Well, I have oily dehydrated flaky skin. Even though I set it with a mattifying powder, I still became a oil slick within a few hours. Coverage is decent. Natural, nah not really. I generally prefer powder foundations so would stick to that instead!

I'm about NC25 with combination/oily skin. Skin texture is slightly bumpy with some pores and fine lines. I chose the serum foundation over coverage because for day to day wear, I usually prefer a lighter finish that just slightly cover my imperfections.

I purchased 1.2YG, which I initially found to be a bit too pale however, it did eventually oxidise quite a lot to suit my skin tone. I apply with a damped beauty blender and then set with brush/powder. The consistency of this foundation is more watery than the NYX total control drops and coverage is slightly lighter as well.

Unfortunately it didn't perform good enough; it settled into the lines underneath my nose and emphasised some dry patches on my lower cheeks/chin. On the oilier part of my face such as forehead/cheeks/nose, it kind of caked up over the skin, making my face look way greasier than it actually was. When I tried to blot it, it moved around and adhere to my blotting sheet.

For the price I paid I don't have super high expectation, but I just don't get the hype around it.

Texture : This is SUPER liquidy. If you shake up the bottle it sloshes around inside like it's full of just water. Going on the face it feels super light and not like you're wearing anything.

Coverage : The brand promises a light-medium coverage for this and I find this to be true - it reminded me strongly of the coverage of my NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturiser. I put on one layer of this and got a light coverage, enough to even out my skin tone but not enough to really cover up any pigmentation spots or blemishes.

Finish : It's semi-matte, true to description. It's not super shiny but not matte either, it's a natural-looking finish that looks very skin-like.

Shade : 2.0YG is ideal for my skintone. I do get the sense that this oxidises though, because when I initially put it on it looked much lighter than my skintone, and then once it settled in it matched me perfectly. I don't notice these "gold highlights" that the YG range of shades is meant to have.

Wear : I've heard of some people with oily skin liking this better than the Coverage Foundation, which is why I bought this. However I was really disappointed with the wear - the litmus test for me is how well a foundation holds up on my oily nose. I am a glasses wearer and am cursed with foundation either just disappearing off my nose or separating or caking there. I wore this with my trusty Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot Primer, L'Oreal Infallible Fixing Mist, and NYX HD Finishing Powder. Within 3 hours I found that the foundation had virtually disappeared from my nose and I felt like I had to blot less than 2 hours into wearing it. I can't excuse this just based off the fact that it's a lightweight foundation, as my NARS TM lasts incredibly well on my nose as does the L'Oreal True Match, which is also very light in texture.

Now here's the additional kicker : THIS THING BROKE ME OUT. I woke up today with a nice big new cystic pimple on my left cheek and some red little spots near my left eye, which I saw were developing yesterday when I took the foundation off. This is super upsetting since I'm still trying to fade the PIH spots from the two cystic acnes that sprung up a few weeks ago due to hormones. I did not try any other new products yesterday aside from this foundation, so I know that this is the culprit. I highly suspect this is due to the Coconut Alkanes in the foundation, which I know now doesn't agree at all with my skin.

Conclusion : 3/5. It's cheap, but aside from the shade range and temporary nice finish, I wasn't a fan of this at all. It didn't last well on my t-zone and gave me cystic acne. This is going back to the store and I'm going back to my NARS TM for light coverage.

I ordered this in 1.2P as I read it was a good match for MAC NW20. I found it slightly yellower but still a pretty good colour match for my skin tone. It goes on quite pigmented and I got a better more natural result applying just one layer with a brush rather than two lighter layers with a sponge. A single pump was sufficient for the whole face. I found coverage-wise it was similar to the MAC Studio Waterweight. My skin is slightly dry so it stayed on for at least 8 hours before breaking down slightly but throughout the day it looked pretty natural and the colour was flattering. At the 10 hour mark it was showing some flaky patches on my chin and had sunk into my pores slightly, but most foundations do this to me especially over mineral sunscreen, even with a primer in between. Overall it's not bad, certainly not my HG but wearable. However, for a more polished natural look with better staying power I still prefer the Make Up Forever Ultra HD liquid foundation.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this was one of the most awaited products in the history of makeup, took me several months to be able to get it, unfortunately, it didn't live up to the hype for me. For reference, I have normal/combination skin, no major problems or concerns, just looking to even out the tone and cancel out a little bit of redness I get here and there occasionally. Usually get fair-light shades, and 1.2P/1.2N are a good match for me (NW20 or a bit lighter)
PROs:
- it is very affordable
- impressive color and tone range for very fair/light skin tones
- nice hygienic packaging- pump with a lock
- unscented and doesn't have any funky smells in general
- good ingredients
- decent coverage
- doesn't cause breakouts or irritation of any sorts
CONs:
- weird finish- ashy and shiny at the same time, not sure how that is even possible
- looks awful without primer
- accentuates every minor dry patch and imperfection
- very short wear time even with primer- starts to separate and look cakey
- it is very obvious on the skin if you look close-up- I am a huge fan of light, invisible perfecting foundations since I have good skin, and this foundation is not doing it for me. Actually, makes my skin look worse than before makeup.
- In my opinion looks awful if set with even the lightest powder

I'm not going to say this is awful, and I own and LOVE most of The Ordinary skincare products, but when it comes to foundations, cheaper ones just don't seem to work too well. This is a pass for me. I'd much rather pay a load of money, and get Perricone MD no foundation serum, which makes skin look absolutely stunning and smooth all day with literally one drop and undetectable coverage, it won't even be that much more expensive at the end of the day, because don't need a primer, don't need powder, and don't need to reapply after two hours.

I'm posting a review after using once and will update, thought I'd get it up since here is a lot of curiosity. It's very liquidy and half a pump would have done my face (I used a full pump the first time). I used a flat top brush to blend and it blended very well and easily. It covered discolourations and my under eye circles. It settled into my large nose pores so I might apply more lightly or use a primer to remedy. Overall this is an awesome product with even better price.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

I like this a lot as a lightweight summer fdtn! It's a very thin formula and feels like nothing on the skin. The lightest neutral shade is good for my nc10 skin, oxidices a bit but nothing major. Blends out so effortlessly and looks natural, leaves a healthy dewy finish to the skin. I have oily t zone and I do get oily after only like four hours so I do need to blot but that's no problem to me.

Packaging is okay, comes with a pump so that's always a plus, but obviously feels cheap cause that's what can be expected from a 6,90€ foundation so not a con imo.