Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.7

HG foundation for me.

It has the consistency of water but has an impressive amount of coverage given how light it is. The result is semi-matte and very natural. It lasts a long while with minimal powdering. I would surely buy again and again!

I really like this foundation. I had been using Armani's Luminous Silk for years but figured for the price tag I couldn't really go wrong. As I was a little unsure about colours I decided to mix and match a little bit so I got the 1.1N in the Serum and the 1.2P in the higher coverage and when I mix them together they are the perfect shade. Yay!

It's nice and lightweight and blends so easily. I use either my Beautyblender or my tarte airbrush to apply, depending on the finish I want (usually BB makes it dewier-looking).

The only thing I have noticed is that when I pair it with Hylamide HA Blur it tends to ball slightly. I've been able to manage it by using a lot less but maybe a less silicone-based primer would be better to use with this.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I happen to own both The Ordinary's Serum Foundation and their Full Coverage Foundation as well. I just switch back and forth between the two based upon my individual preference for the day or night(whenever I choose to wear it). The Serum Foundation provides a lot of coverage, more than I actually expected. I can can actually build up the Serum foundation to get medium-to full coverage, even though it is supposed to provide less coverage than The Ordinary's Coverage foundation. This foundation has a very liquidy texture, the very same as MAC's Face and Body Foundation. However, they are definitely not twins when it comes to foundations. The Serum foundation glides onto ones skin very easily, and does give off the most natural finish that I've ever seen. And, the shades that I have it in in the Serum foundation are 2.1Y and 1.2YG. 2.1Y goes on medium yellow, but then it quickly oxidizes to a very orangey tan color, which doesn't look natural on me, at all. Which is why, I got the 1.2YG to use to combine with it, in order to get my perfect match. For reference I have been shade matched to both NC & NW30 shades in MAC.

Even though there are currently 21 shades to choose from, the actual shades offered aren't the best, so quite a number of people will need to mix foundation shades in order to get their perfect match. Oh and I don't see any real noticeable difference between the shades in the Serum foundation and the same corresponding shades in the Coverage foundation.

I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. Plus, I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I apply this foundation with a foundation brush, and not a beauty blender, foundation wedges, or my fingers. And, I get a very seamless finish to my makeup, and I don't experience any creasing or caking. Now, this foundation must be set well with powder, because it gives off a satiny finish, and it will unfortunately very noticeably transfer if not set well with powder.

All skintypes can get away with using this foundation, as long as you make sure to powder it well to set it. However, if you have oily or very oily skin, you will need to touch up this foundation with powder or use an oil blotting sheet in order to keep your face as shine free as possible until you take it off. Now, if you have very dark pigmentation on your face and/or lots of breakouts, you will most definitely need to use a concealer with this foundation for sure. However, I use it without concealer, and it works pretty well for me.

Before picking a shade, please understand that these foundations start to oxidize quickly after you apply them. The Medium shade range, I will say is not truly reflective of medium skintones. So, if you are someone that falls in the medium category like I do, please know that the colors offered within the medium category, will not cut it for most people. Also, even though the bottle looks quite small, it does come with 1 oz. of product inside, which is the normal size that most foundations come in. Now, I did buy this foundation off of the Deciem website, where it retails for $6.70 U.S. dollars, and I actually received it within a very short amount of time. I didn't have to incur any long wait at all.

Now, I don't see any major difference between wearing the Serum foundation with or without primer, which is why, for the most part, I don't wear it with anything underneath it. If it's for a special occasion then I will apply a little bit of prime underneath, but on an ordinary basis, I don't use such at all on my face, and my makeup still stay's looking good for a very long time on my face. Oh and because this product has a lot of silicone derivatives in it, using a lotion or cream underneath that also has silicone(s) in it, and then possibly a sun protection lotion that has silicone(s) in it, and then a primer which has silicone(s) in it, is what is going to cause the foundation to actually wear away quickly and end up not lasting long on their face as well. The skin is just being layered with silicone laden products, and it is just too much for the face, which is where I see quite a number of people going wrong with this foundation. To get the best finish and the longest wear out of this foundation, just applying it to a bare face, really works the best and then setting it well, definitely will provide the best outcome with this foundation as well as the The Ordinary's Coverage Foundation as well.

I happen to be a very big fan of The Ordinary's foundations, as I happen to own well over 10 of them, at this current time. And, I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future for sure. They have become my go-to foundations, and I have absolutely no interest in switching to anything else. I like that I can use more than one shade to provide a customized shade match, and that I can buy several at once and still get a lot, without having to pay a lot. I buy The Ordinary foundations from off of the Deciem website. And, this foundation retails for $6.70 (if you live in the U.S.). Which is what I consider a really economical price to pay for a foundation that performs really well.

The best setting powder to use with high the The Ordinary's Serum and Coverage Foundations is Ben Nye's Banana Powder. As, it works like magic with any foundation, I swear!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I read a review in Cosmopolitan magazine about this cheap but wonderful foundation that had sold out, and could not wait to try it.

I ordered the serum foundations in the color of 3.2R. I was skeptic due to me having very oily skin. After I washed my face with the Ole Henrickson balance line, and applied my Bare Minerals primer I tried it out.

The color is amazing. It matches my skin so beautifully. I blended it on with my fingers, and my skin began to glow. I applied it around 8:00 a.m. and by 8:00 p.m. my skin still looked flawless. This was the best $6.70 cents I spent.

Needless to say I ordered 2 more bottles today. You never know when they may run out again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the ordinary foundations. I have both The coverage and serum. I don't put primer i just moisturize my face well.it last all day for me and it gives me a healthy look. I have dry sensitive skin.with some redness and it covers well. I do set my face with very little powder and then spray it with my Mario Budescu facial mist. FYI the coverage Foundation does oxide so get a lighter color.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I feel like this is exactly the same as the coverage foundation, except slightly more sheer and less dewy.
The coverage one is pretty wet-looking.
It looks quite natural and a little goes a long way. I'm an NC25, armani 4.5 is my most perfect match and with this I'm between 1.2N and 2.0N. I could wear either one, 1.2 looks slightly more pale but also more natural.

Pros:
- Price is excellent, really affordable
- Packaging is nice and minimal
- Packaging has a hygienic pump
- Shade range is lovely

Cons:
- Packaging is plastic.
- It's more matte than the one that's supposed to be semi-matte. BUT that makes it look more natural.
- Not transfer-proof

I'm surprised there isn't more reviews for this with how hyped it is! Was expecting 100s. Anyway I'm very happy with this foundation. I bought it in the lightest shade, the one without the silver highlights and it was a close match. A touch orange for me maybe, my perfect match is MUFE's Y205.

It's more high coverage than I expected, I sorta expected a bb cream like product. I'd put it at medium coverage. It covered my acne scarring and slight under eye darkness easily. It dried down to a natural finish and just felt like skin. Doesn't transfer much like heavier foundation.

I barely had to powder it, just under the eyes because I tend to crease a lot there. I have oilier skin and this mattified it, I have a feeling if your skins drier this wouldn't be moisturising enough.

Overall it's a ten. I can't fault this at all, it exceeded my expectations. And for a fiver you couldn't beat it!

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I have been using shade 1.1n which is a great match for my MAC nc15 colouring,

It is a very liquidy formulae which comes in a very neat bottle with pump which I love. I find that two pumps provides enough foundation for my entire face. It blends really easily and provides light to medium coverage with a a very lovely natural finish. It makes my skin look healthy and brighter - which is great for days when I look a little tired. It lasts very well on my skin when set with a bit of powder.

I love this foundation and will definitely repurchase its as I prefer it to more expensive foundations

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I finally received my foundation yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out!
In the last few years my skin has changed a lot mainly due to hormonal changes, and I now rarely use foundation because I find it can make my face look greasy and my pores look enlarged. If I do use a base, it's MAC Studiofix. I like the finish of a liquid foundation though; The Ordinary's foundations have had such great reviews that I thought they were worth trying at the price.
Yesterday was incredibly warm so a good day to really put this product to the test. I used it over Clinique's DDML and La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 50; no primer.
Apparently each of The Ordinary's shades suit a range of about three skin shades, and the Wayne Goss comparison guide online says this shade is suitable for MAC NC30 to NC42. I'm MAC C40 and my Ordinary shade, 2.1Y (Medium with yellow undertones) matched my skin very well.
I used one pump applied with Real Techniques' Expert Face Brush (as recommended by Sali Hughes of The Guardian) all over my face. Perfect application, and my skin looked completely flawless. To my eyes the coverage was medium-to-full rather than sheer, but I think one pump was too much. As a serum formulation it worked very well with my BB Serum Concealer. I set the lot with Clinique loose powder in Invisible Blend, and went about my day.
I spent some time in a very hot car driving in the sun and generally outdoors. A few hours later my face looked slightly dewy but the foundation hadn't broken up on my forehead and my pores looked OK. 8 hours after application it did look a little worse for wear, but it had been very hot and I hadn't repowdered all day. My face looked darker at the end of the day; not sure if that was the product oxidizing or if I'd caught some sun.
I'll experiment with less product, over primer, etc. and update accordingly, but at this early stage I think this is an excellent product and am very pleased with my purchase. I also love the price! I'd rather spend £6 than £30 on a product I might only use twice a month.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I ordered the serum foundation 2.0YG because it has a yellow undertone and I have light medium yellow skin tone. I think it took 3 weeks before it arrived, because they had a waiting list. I didn't mind because I already had enough foundation (the Giorgio Armani one, but I bought the wrong color, which is a different story).

It is very difficult for me to find a yellow foundation which is for light medium skin tone. Most NARS and Bobbi Brown foundations that I tested were way too dark for me, but this color matches my skin tone by 90%. If it had been slightly more yellow it would have been perfect. It is a beautiful light yellow color, but I don't know why it is called golden, because imo it also has a bit of a pink undertone.

The foundation is runny, but one pump will do for me. It does not completely cover my small acne scars, but I don't want to use more, because I have pretty good skin and I like medium coverage for daily use. I have combination skin but it tends to be more dry. You have to moisturize your face pretty well before applying because it tends to be a bit dry in the beginning. However, during the day my face becomes very dewy, almost oily, so I have to powder it anyways. I think that's the only downside I have. So, I think this will serum foundation is best for people with very dry to dry skin.

I would order this again, because I haven't had a foundation that matched my skin tone so well and the quality is just great for the price. However, I like to try out other foundations as well.