Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.4

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lovely dewy finish, but my skin HATED it. My skin is now red, angry and flaky - having to use just E45 and bio oil on it at the moment. From reading up, it could be the coconut alkanes in it. Really surprised as I don’t have particularly sensitive skin. Perricone MD is the only other foundation that made me break out.

If you can choose the right colour online and your skin can tolerate it, it’s a great buy - but not for me!

This product just came out around the time I was ordering a few other products from the site and I thought, 'why not?' and got both the Serum and the Coverage products. Because why not. I thought it would be fun to see how they measure up against my HG foundations, the description certainly has a lot of high claims. I got the shade 1.0N for my pale skin, and it matches me quite well, shade-wise. Spreads like any silicone-based foundation, no drag on skin. A single layer (with a foundation brush) does give sheer coverage, it didn't cover anything. Two layers - same thing, everything I'd want covered is still visible. Piling it on makes it go sort of greasy, like stirring balm cleanser with a brush all over face. I could see some of the pigment gathering in pores and lines, which is never a good sign with my skin. Finish is definitely on the dewy side and it doesn't "set" without a powder. Which is all quite strange, as the description claims a semi-matte finish and a spreadability system to keep the foundation from settling into lines and make it longer-lasting. Lasting power is a bit of a foggy matter to begin with due to the exceptionally sheer pigmentation, but the foundation does get more and more shiny quickly (3-4 h mark). I wasn't impressed. No coverage, no sign of texture improvements (like some of the sheer cover products that blur surface irregularities and make skin look airbrushed), quite the opposite and turns greasy fast.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am in the U.K and waited eagerly for 3 weeks for this foundation. I chose two colours and both shades were fine for me. Sadly, that is where it ends as the foundation itself was so disappointing. I have tried it twice, with and without primer and with my fingers and a beauty blender, both times, it just clings to pores and sits in any fine lines or dry areas I have. It also disappears in areas like my chin and around nose within a few hours. I do have dry skin, but find this needs a slight powder down in areas and I always lightly powder any foundation. I looked older and at 51, this is something I don't want to do. I don't think this likes being powdered as it quickly looked 'cakey' . It also doesn't take blusher or bronzer very well. I had to apply twice the amount I normally do, which was weird and I wonder if it's because it's full of silicones. I didn't feel "me" wearing it. I really didn't like it and as I knew I'd never wear it again, they're in the bin. Definitely over hyped. Back to my beloved other foundations.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a lot of skin care from The Ordinary, which i really like and use regularly, so when i heard they were coming out with a foundation needless to say I was very intrigued. I love the concept behind this brand, few ingredients, cheap products and sleek packaging. Unfortunately this really didn't work out for me!

They also released a full-coverage foundation, but I bought the serum one because I like less coverage and luminosity, which serum foundations often have. I chose the shade 1.2N. It's always tricky choosing a foundation shade online, but I think I got away with it, the shade matches me pretty well.

I ordered the foundation on April 24th, and on the website they said that it would take around 10-15 days before it shipped, because of the high request on this product. Afterward I regularly received e-mails from the company, saying that they were sorry, but It would take a little while before my order will ship. Finally on May 12th, my order shipped. And a couple days later on May 16th I received my package.

I immediately started playing around with it, but I was quickly disappointed. The foundation doesn't blend very well, and it looks and feels very cakey and dry on the skin. Not what I expected at all. I can't say anything about the longevity of this foundation, because I couldn't get myself to wear it outside my house. Though I've tried it at home a couple times afterwords, but same results every time. Very disappointed and would definitely NOT recommend.

The packaging is alright, though I really wish i came with a cap. It has this twist function, so when twisted you can't pump any product out. I find this to be very messy. I must say that it's very affordable, I believe I gave 6,5 € minus shipping.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a pretty early review, but sometimes you just know when a product isn't going to work for you, and it's pointless to press on. I've used it twice, both times with terrible results. I got it in the lightest shade with pink undertones (shade 1.0P). It definitely is very pale (a bit too pale for me, which is pretty rare), but I would say it's more neutral than pink in undertones. When a line has both yellow, neutral and pink undertones I expect the yellow and pink ones to be distinctly warm and cold respectively. I could get away with it, though, since my undertones are somewhere between neutral and cool.

The foundation is so thin, it basically absorbed right into my damp beautyblender. With a brush, it goes on very streaky. It's so thin in consistency, and it just sort of slides around the face when you try to blend and even it out. The coverage is minimal, and it does not cover redness whatsoever. I don't have much redness apart from acne/scarring, but it did little to nothing to neutralize even that. Overall, the dry patches and healing breakouts were very noticable. The first time I used it I set it with translucent setting powder (Laura Mercier's Loose powder), and the second time I set it with a powder foundation (PUR 4-in-1 pressed mineral makeup). With the powder foundation I naturally got some additional coverage and it evened everything out a bit, too, but after a few hours it didn't really look much different from using a translucent powder. It very quickly broke down and wore off, not only on my t-zone but also on my cheeks. I also got terribly oily. I looked a mess, is the bottom line, and I just wanted to wash my face ASAP. I honestly like my bare skin more than this foundation, and that's coming from someone who hates being bare faced. Having only used it twice, I can't say whether or not it broke me out, though..

If you already have flawless skin with no redness and no texture, that is neither dry nor oily, then maybe it could work. Otherwise, I'm sceptical.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ Very, very cheap (I saw someone saying it's not that cheap due to its size, but that's untrue as it's the standard 30ml/1fl oz bottle)
+ The lightweight claim is true
+ The palest shade is truly pale (though not all that pink in undertones)

- Essentially no coverage. And I don't mean light coverage, I really do mean No Coverage.
- Breaks down/separates very quickly
- Made my t-zone and cheeks look much oilier than usual
- Too thin to work with. The little coverage it has disappears with a beautyblender, and it looks streaky applied with a brush
- 21 shades in total is pretty good, but the vast majority are still lighter shades

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I waited until I wore this at least 5 times before writing this. I haven't done a review in a while but felt the need because this was just so disappointing. The only good thing being the low price and it does feel pretty light on so a plus there. I tried this a few different ways: with primer, without primer, over sunscreen, not over sunscreen, etc... but after about hour 2 this stuff just looks horrible. I don't think I've ever had a foundation settle so much into my pores. It also gets really patchy. I'm wearing it now at work and can't wait to go home and take it off. Apparently it works for some people but maybe it's a skin-type sort of thing.

*This review is for the serum foundation, not the full coverage foundation which is actually pretty good*: Eeeeeeeee....no. Good pigment, but extremely drying - like a heat-seeking missile for any barely-even-dry patches. It's somehow also very oily and *still* drying - slides around my face while highlighting every single pore I have. The wear just gets worse throughout the day. At 10.00 it was worth a shot but I am not sure I will ever really use this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These went in the trash. Very little coverage if at all and the wrong colors for my skin even though I followed their recommendations for my skin color based on my MAC equivalent. They were both too light. I chose the ones that were supposed to be closest to MAC NC 20 per Wayne Goss' comments but they were way too light even after oxidation. Glad I tried them out but no great loss.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

First I have to say how much I LOVE the Deciem skin care products. Since I started using them a few months ago my skin has improved a ton, in texture, comfort, and yes, it even glows! My hopes were up when I ordered the foundation! Alas, I was sorely disappointed. The whole range was too yellow for my skin. The coverage was ok but not the smoothest I've ever tried. Without a Beauty Blender it was much more uneven than most—leaning toward a mini relief map look.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I picked this up out of curiosity and I am not all that impressed. It's very yellow and in my case, 1.2YG was too light (NC25-30; 220 in Fenty and W4 in L'Oreal True Match) - then it dried down darker and ended up being a really good match. The formula itself is super thin and runny. I applied using my RT sponge and it took some work to blend. The coverage is medium but not buildable, at least not in my case. It didn't blend at all around my nose area an ended up being very patchy and even pilled up along the side creases of my nose. I didn't see any difference in the texture of my skin either. I'm not terribly disappointed since the price point is so low. I do like the simple packaging and the locking pump. That said, I wouldn't repurchase.