Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.6

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I could not resist trying this, no matter how long the wait, as the price made it worth experimenting without much loss.
I have only been using this for a little over a week, although I ordered it two months before it arrived, so take everything I say being aware that I am a new user and who knows what might be the long term judgement. But as of now I am delighted with this foundation. It seems to be everything that is claimed for it, at least for me. I am an NC 22-23, leaning toward neutral, so I ordered a 2.0N(light medium neutral) which seems just fine, undetectable on my face as far as color goes. I use very little, much less than a pump, a few drops actually which I dot on cheeks chin nose and forehead and then use my fingers to spread. In a +15X magnifying mirror there is no gathering in either pores or wrinkles, which, being in my 80's I have a goodly number. But it evens out my skin beautifully, even with this minimal amount. One needs a really good moisturizer (over hydration) to keep from looking dry, but I am working on that. So far, I have no complaints. What a bargain, and you feel like you are have just skin on your face.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I'm really enjoying this foundation. It is, as the name suggest, very light and runny. It blends in effortlessly. I normally use my fingers to blend in foundation since most of them can look cakey on me, but I can use fingers, brushes, or a sponge with this one. The coverage is medium. Definitely more than a tinted moisturizer or MAC and MUFE face and body, but less than something like NARS Sheer Glow (which is medium–full for me). I use less than a pump, it spreads very well.

The colour match on me is great! I use 3.0Y and am a NC42-44 in MAC. Again, I rarely find a perfect colour match (which is why I bought this in 3 colours!) but got lucky with this one and 3.0Y blends in seamlessly. They have a fairly broad colour range, though I think they need a couple more colours beyond their current darkest shade. I use 3.1Y on my cheekbones for a summer bronze, looks lovely.

Once applies, it really does look like second skin. One thing though, since this foundation doesn't have much body to it by itself, I think skin prep is important. If you have dry skin, make sure you moisturize well so that your skin glows. If you have oilier skin, I still recommend the moisturizing and then using a mattifying primer where you need it. Some parts of my face are very oily (nose, cheeks, forehead) but I'm also prone to dry spots and flaking around my mouth. This foundation does not control oil per se, but it doesn't make matters worse either. A primer and a bit of powder will go a long way. It does not catch on dry spots or make my flakey. I use MUFE Step 1 mattifying primer, works like a charm. Also, I have extremely clog-prone skin and this does not clog my pores or break me out!! I think the ingredients are top notch.

The only thing holding my back from calling this my HG foundation is that by the end of the day it gets a teeny bit cakey on my upper lip and chin. I think this is fixable though and with some practice, I expect I'll be able to avoid that minimal cakiness as well. (Note that I like a really natural, undetectable finish.)

As for packaging, I'm glad it has a pump. I initially wished the bottle was glass but a heavy plastic is far more durable and travel friendly.

Honestly, I must say this this is brilliant, even regardless of price. So give it a try! If you like a natural finish and a versatile foundation, this is it! This will not give you full coverage so if that's what you seek, maybe try the Coverage Foundation. Given my great experience with the Serum foundation, I have high hopes for that one too.

UPDATE:
Still liking this foundation but it did go from love to like. Why? The colour. This could be categorized as user error but their yellow shades are _extremely_ yellow. I have terrible lighting in my room, so I didn't notice till I was applying this in a car with plenty of sunlight. It blends in but it's wayyy too yellow. I'd have to buy the red shade to mix together (they don't have a 3.0N). Such a shame, the depth is perfect but just off on the undertone. Note that I have a olive/golden-y complexion, I always buy yellow toned foundations and have actually never come across one that was too yellow. I do think 3.0Y will be too yellow for many people unfortunately.
Aside from that, still hasn't broken me out. Wears well, looks good. I just apply very lightly around my mouth to prevent cakiness (I use a little colour correction underneath due to darkness). Downgraded to 4 lippies.

Another issue: the pumps are low quality. I'm certain they'll be changing this soon so I'm not penalizing them for it.

I haven't ordered the 3.0R shade (out of stock right now anyway), instead I'm going to try using this as a yellow corrector for my MUFE water blend foundation which is too pink. hahaha, undertones are hard to nail down I suppose!

I was able to get my hands on this sought after foundation yesterday. I ordered it May 2nd and it was shipped on May 16th, since demand is very high. I'm glad I did! I chose the serum foundation since I'm in my 40s and my skin tends to be dry. You would think with a watery serum foundation you wouldn't get much coverage. I used one pump and it was enough to cover my whole face. I didn't even need concealer since it covers my dark circles and spots very well. And the coverage is very natural looking with no powder needed (I used the fluid primer from this brand under it as well). The company's website is very helpful with the color selection, using a guide based on foundation shades by MAC (I am NW20 and it matched me to 1.2P, which is a perfect match). So far I'm in love with this foundation! It was worth the wait.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I happen to own both The Ordinary's Serum Foundation and their Full Coverage Foundation as well. I just switch back and forth between the two based upon my individual preference for the day or night(whenever I choose to wear it). The Serum Foundation provides a lot of coverage, more than I actually expected. I can can actually build up the Serum foundation to get medium-to full coverage, even though it is supposed to provide less coverage than The Ordinary's Coverage foundation. This foundation has a very liquidy texture, the very same as MAC's Face and Body Foundation. However, they are definitely not twins when it comes to foundations. The Serum foundation glides onto ones skin very easily, and does give off the most natural finish that I've ever seen. And, the shades that I have it in in the Serum foundation are 2.1Y and 1.2YG. 2.1Y goes on medium yellow, but then it quickly oxidizes to a very orangey tan color, which doesn't look natural on me, at all. Which is why, I got the 1.2YG to use to combine with it, in order to get my perfect match. For reference I have been shade matched to both NC & NW30 shades in MAC.

Even though there are currently 21 shades to choose from, the actual shades offered aren't the best, so quite a number of people will need to mix foundation shades in order to get their perfect match. Oh and I don't see any real noticeable difference between the shades in the Serum foundation and the same corresponding shades in the Coverage foundation.

I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. Plus, I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I apply this foundation with a foundation brush, and not a beauty blender, foundation wedges, or my fingers. And, I get a very seamless finish to my makeup, and I don't experience any creasing or caking. Now, this foundation must be set well with powder, because it gives off a satiny finish, and it will unfortunately very noticeably transfer if not set well with powder.

All skintypes can get away with using this foundation, as long as you make sure to powder it well to set it. However, if you have oily or very oily skin, you will need to touch up this foundation with powder or use an oil blotting sheet in order to keep your face as shine free as possible until you take it off. Now, if you have very dark pigmentation on your face and/or lots of breakouts, you will most definitely need to use a concealer with this foundation for sure. However, I use it without concealer, and it works pretty well for me.

Before picking a shade, please understand that these foundations start to oxidize quickly after you apply them. The Medium shade range, I will say is not truly reflective of medium skintones. So, if you are someone that falls in the medium category like I do, please know that the colors offered within the medium category, will not cut it for most people. Also, even though the bottle looks quite small, it does come with 1 oz. of product inside, which is the normal size that most foundations come in. Now, I did buy this foundation off of the Deciem website, where it retails for $6.70 U.S. dollars, and I actually received it within a very short amount of time. I didn't have to incur any long wait at all.

Now, I don't see any major difference between wearing the Serum foundation with or without primer, which is why, for the most part, I don't wear it with anything underneath it. If it's for a special occasion then I will apply a little bit of prime underneath, but on an ordinary basis, I don't use such at all on my face, and my makeup still stay's looking good for a very long time on my face. Oh and because this product has a lot of silicone derivatives in it, using a lotion or cream underneath that also has silicone(s) in it, and then possibly a sun protection lotion that has silicone(s) in it, and then a primer which has silicone(s) in it, is what is going to cause the foundation to actually wear away quickly and end up not lasting long on their face as well. The skin is just being layered with silicone laden products, and it is just too much for the face, which is where I see quite a number of people going wrong with this foundation. To get the best finish and the longest wear out of this foundation, just applying it to a bare face, really works the best and then setting it well, definitely will provide the best outcome with this foundation as well as the The Ordinary's Coverage Foundation as well.

I happen to be a very big fan of The Ordinary's foundations, as I happen to own well over 10 of them, at this current time. And, I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future for sure. They have become my go-to foundations, and I have absolutely no interest in switching to anything else. I like that I can use more than one shade to provide a customized shade match, and that I can buy several at once and still get a lot, without having to pay a lot. I buy The Ordinary foundations from off of the Deciem website. And, this foundation retails for $6.70 (if you live in the U.S.). Which is what I consider a really economical price to pay for a foundation that performs really well.

The best setting powder to use with high the The Ordinary's Serum and Coverage Foundations is Ben Nye's Banana Powder. As, it works like magic with any foundation, I swear!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: 2.1Y (NC37 for reference)
METHOD OF APPLICATION: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- lightweight
- blends easily
- satin finish

CONS

- settles into fine lines
- breaks up

COMMENTS: Lightweight, satin finish foundation with sheer coverage. Looks very natural on and blends effortlessly. If you're anything other than dry, expect to blot. This will not control oil, nor does it claim to. However, mixing some translucent loose powder into this will alter the formula. It gives more coverage and help control oil a little better. Two things I can’t seem to fix, though: it settles into fine lines rather quickly and tends to break up pretty badly throughout the day. It’s a formula I can’t wear for very long before it starts to look bad, whether worn on its own or using the method mentioned.

Will not repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I ordered this end April and just received 1 of 9, the rest are still pending shipment.
The first that has arrived is the serum 1.2YG. It's a perfect match for my NC20 skin. I don't see any gold shimmer but it can look very slightly yellow. This isn't a problem as I'm quite yellow being Asian.
The key to this foundation is proper moisturising. Although the consistency is watery, it somehow dried to a matte finish. I set it with my hour glass ambient powder in incandescent light. It's very beautiful and skin like. It's really my skin but better. I've tried using my fingers and the real techniques sponge and I have to say, using my fingers is a lot better. I use less and have a higher coverage. Takes me 10 seconds Vs a minute using the sponge.
It hasn't completely covered my acne scarring but I dab some Estee Lauder concealer on light warm medium and I'm good to go.
This lasts quite a good few hours. I've worn it for 6 hrs and it hasn't caked or smudged or melted. Given that it's 16 degrees in Melbourne, it's doing great.
I'm waiting for the rest to come and I'll add on to this review.
Totally worth it for the price. Very pigmented and it doesn't feel like you have makeup on. The wait is long though. I ordered mine from Victoria Health.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I read a review in Cosmopolitan magazine about this cheap but wonderful foundation that had sold out, and could not wait to try it.

I ordered the serum foundations in the color of 3.2R. I was skeptic due to me having very oily skin. After I washed my face with the Ole Henrickson balance line, and applied my Bare Minerals primer I tried it out.

The color is amazing. It matches my skin so beautifully. I blended it on with my fingers, and my skin began to glow. I applied it around 8:00 a.m. and by 8:00 p.m. my skin still looked flawless. This was the best $6.70 cents I spent.

Needless to say I ordered 2 more bottles today. You never know when they may run out again.

I have been using Revlon colorstay for several years but found that they have no light-medium yellow undertone shades...all were too pink or too gray on my skin. I love everything else about Revlon Colorstay other than that it may clog my pores (uncertain).

I waited 6 weeks for this foundation since I ordered it with the coverage foundation. Since the price was so low and I was not sure about my shade, I ordered a couple of different shades. I'm in my early 30's and have combination, acne-prone, sensitive asian skin. I've been using some mild acids and retinols to get rid of hyperpigmentation which has resulted in some dry patches. I apply minimal base, that is, I don't use primer, concealer, powder, setting spray, or bronzer/highlighter. I like to keep things simple and expect my foundation to cover my imperfections, look natural, and be long lasting.

Pros: inexpensive, good packaging, great colour for yellow undertone skin, silky skin-like finish.

Cons: Oxidized after 3 hours, all the foundation on my nose disappeared, forehead and chin had foundation clumped up into patches, foundation settled into lines and made dry patches more obvious. Does not cover acne (will need concealer).

So I tried it again with the ordinary high adherence primer and had the same results + some clogged pores. Disappointed but glad the return policy is very good and the price was cheap. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I finally received my foundation yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out!
In the last few years my skin has changed a lot mainly due to hormonal changes, and I now rarely use foundation because I find it can make my face look greasy and my pores look enlarged. If I do use a base, it's MAC Studiofix. I like the finish of a liquid foundation though; The Ordinary's foundations have had such great reviews that I thought they were worth trying at the price.
Yesterday was incredibly warm so a good day to really put this product to the test. I used it over Clinique's DDML and La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 50; no primer.
Apparently each of The Ordinary's shades suit a range of about three skin shades, and the Wayne Goss comparison guide online says this shade is suitable for MAC NC30 to NC42. I'm MAC C40 and my Ordinary shade, 2.1Y (Medium with yellow undertones) matched my skin very well.
I used one pump applied with Real Techniques' Expert Face Brush (as recommended by Sali Hughes of The Guardian) all over my face. Perfect application, and my skin looked completely flawless. To my eyes the coverage was medium-to-full rather than sheer, but I think one pump was too much. As a serum formulation it worked very well with my BB Serum Concealer. I set the lot with Clinique loose powder in Invisible Blend, and went about my day.
I spent some time in a very hot car driving in the sun and generally outdoors. A few hours later my face looked slightly dewy but the foundation hadn't broken up on my forehead and my pores looked OK. 8 hours after application it did look a little worse for wear, but it had been very hot and I hadn't repowdered all day. My face looked darker at the end of the day; not sure if that was the product oxidizing or if I'd caught some sun.
I'll experiment with less product, over primer, etc. and update accordingly, but at this early stage I think this is an excellent product and am very pleased with my purchase. I also love the price! I'd rather spend £6 than £30 on a product I might only use twice a month.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I, really, really like this product. I think it's super lightweight and I would actually say the coverage is more than light, I'd say it's a solid medium on my skin. It's VERY lightweight and it feels like nothing on. It seems to be all pigment, which I don't mind at all. It tends to take on the qualities of your base, which means if you moisturize well and use a hydrating primer it'll feel very hydrating, etc. So customize as you want for your particular skin type. The only thing is I actually wish it came without the SPF and I can just wear my own underneath. I find that the physical sunblocks tend to look a bit weird on certain parts of my skin like my nose, when mixed with pigment on top of blackheads etc (almost like super tiny bumps where the sunblock settles and almost highlights). But that's the SPF not the foundation so if you havent had a problem with that before then you probably wont even notice (a lot of korean BB creams give me the same effect). Definitely recommend this. Will be repurchasing.