Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

3.4

I was able to get my hands on this sought after foundation yesterday. I ordered it May 2nd and it was shipped on May 16th, since demand is very high. I'm glad I did! I chose the serum foundation since I'm in my 40s and my skin tends to be dry. You would think with a watery serum foundation you wouldn't get much coverage. I used one pump and it was enough to cover my whole face. I didn't even need concealer since it covers my dark circles and spots very well. And the coverage is very natural looking with no powder needed (I used the fluid primer from this brand under it as well). The company's website is very helpful with the color selection, using a guide based on foundation shades by MAC (I am NW20 and it matched me to 1.2P, which is a perfect match). So far I'm in love with this foundation! It was worth the wait.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a lot of skin care from The Ordinary, which i really like and use regularly, so when i heard they were coming out with a foundation needless to say I was very intrigued. I love the concept behind this brand, few ingredients, cheap products and sleek packaging. Unfortunately this really didn't work out for me!

They also released a full-coverage foundation, but I bought the serum one because I like less coverage and luminosity, which serum foundations often have. I chose the shade 1.2N. It's always tricky choosing a foundation shade online, but I think I got away with it, the shade matches me pretty well.

I ordered the foundation on April 24th, and on the website they said that it would take around 10-15 days before it shipped, because of the high request on this product. Afterward I regularly received e-mails from the company, saying that they were sorry, but It would take a little while before my order will ship. Finally on May 12th, my order shipped. And a couple days later on May 16th I received my package.

I immediately started playing around with it, but I was quickly disappointed. The foundation doesn't blend very well, and it looks and feels very cakey and dry on the skin. Not what I expected at all. I can't say anything about the longevity of this foundation, because I couldn't get myself to wear it outside my house. Though I've tried it at home a couple times afterwords, but same results every time. Very disappointed and would definitely NOT recommend.

The packaging is alright, though I really wish i came with a cap. It has this twist function, so when twisted you can't pump any product out. I find this to be very messy. I must say that it's very affordable, I believe I gave 6,5 € minus shipping.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I'm really enjoying this foundation. It is, as the name suggest, very light and runny. It blends in effortlessly. I normally use my fingers to blend in foundation since most of them can look cakey on me, but I can use fingers, brushes, or a sponge with this one. The coverage is medium. Definitely more than a tinted moisturizer or MAC and MUFE face and body, but less than something like NARS Sheer Glow (which is medium–full for me). I use less than a pump, it spreads very well.

The colour match on me is great! I use 3.0Y and am a NC42-44 in MAC. Again, I rarely find a perfect colour match (which is why I bought this in 3 colours!) but got lucky with this one and 3.0Y blends in seamlessly. They have a fairly broad colour range, though I think they need a couple more colours beyond their current darkest shade. I use 3.1Y on my cheekbones for a summer bronze, looks lovely.

Once applies, it really does look like second skin. One thing though, since this foundation doesn't have much body to it by itself, I think skin prep is important. If you have dry skin, make sure you moisturize well so that your skin glows. If you have oilier skin, I still recommend the moisturizing and then using a mattifying primer where you need it. Some parts of my face are very oily (nose, cheeks, forehead) but I'm also prone to dry spots and flaking around my mouth. This foundation does not control oil per se, but it doesn't make matters worse either. A primer and a bit of powder will go a long way. It does not catch on dry spots or make my flakey. I use MUFE Step 1 mattifying primer, works like a charm. Also, I have extremely clog-prone skin and this does not clog my pores or break me out!! I think the ingredients are top notch.

The only thing holding my back from calling this my HG foundation is that by the end of the day it gets a teeny bit cakey on my upper lip and chin. I think this is fixable though and with some practice, I expect I'll be able to avoid that minimal cakiness as well. (Note that I like a really natural, undetectable finish.)

As for packaging, I'm glad it has a pump. I initially wished the bottle was glass but a heavy plastic is far more durable and travel friendly.

Honestly, I must say this this is brilliant, even regardless of price. So give it a try! If you like a natural finish and a versatile foundation, this is it! This will not give you full coverage so if that's what you seek, maybe try the Coverage Foundation. Given my great experience with the Serum foundation, I have high hopes for that one too.

UPDATE:
Still liking this foundation but it did go from love to like. Why? The colour. This could be categorized as user error but their yellow shades are _extremely_ yellow. I have terrible lighting in my room, so I didn't notice till I was applying this in a car with plenty of sunlight. It blends in but it's wayyy too yellow. I'd have to buy the red shade to mix together (they don't have a 3.0N). Such a shame, the depth is perfect but just off on the undertone. Note that I have a olive/golden-y complexion, I always buy yellow toned foundations and have actually never come across one that was too yellow. I do think 3.0Y will be too yellow for many people unfortunately.
Aside from that, still hasn't broken me out. Wears well, looks good. I just apply very lightly around my mouth to prevent cakiness (I use a little colour correction underneath due to darkness). Downgraded to 4 lippies.

Another issue: the pumps are low quality. I'm certain they'll be changing this soon so I'm not penalizing them for it.

I haven't ordered the 3.0R shade (out of stock right now anyway), instead I'm going to try using this as a yellow corrector for my MUFE water blend foundation which is too pink. hahaha, undertones are hard to nail down I suppose!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I ordered this end April and just received 1 of 9, the rest are still pending shipment.
The first that has arrived is the serum 1.2YG. It's a perfect match for my NC20 skin. I don't see any gold shimmer but it can look very slightly yellow. This isn't a problem as I'm quite yellow being Asian.
The key to this foundation is proper moisturising. Although the consistency is watery, it somehow dried to a matte finish. I set it with my hour glass ambient powder in incandescent light. It's very beautiful and skin like. It's really my skin but better. I've tried using my fingers and the real techniques sponge and I have to say, using my fingers is a lot better. I use less and have a higher coverage. Takes me 10 seconds Vs a minute using the sponge.
It hasn't completely covered my acne scarring but I dab some Estee Lauder concealer on light warm medium and I'm good to go.
This lasts quite a good few hours. I've worn it for 6 hrs and it hasn't caked or smudged or melted. Given that it's 16 degrees in Melbourne, it's doing great.
I'm waiting for the rest to come and I'll add on to this review.
Totally worth it for the price. Very pigmented and it doesn't feel like you have makeup on. The wait is long though. I ordered mine from Victoria Health.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am in the U.K and waited eagerly for 3 weeks for this foundation. I chose two colours and both shades were fine for me. Sadly, that is where it ends as the foundation itself was so disappointing. I have tried it twice, with and without primer and with my fingers and a beauty blender, both times, it just clings to pores and sits in any fine lines or dry areas I have. It also disappears in areas like my chin and around nose within a few hours. I do have dry skin, but find this needs a slight powder down in areas and I always lightly powder any foundation. I looked older and at 51, this is something I don't want to do. I don't think this likes being powdered as it quickly looked 'cakey' . It also doesn't take blusher or bronzer very well. I had to apply twice the amount I normally do, which was weird and I wonder if it's because it's full of silicones. I didn't feel "me" wearing it. I really didn't like it and as I knew I'd never wear it again, they're in the bin. Definitely over hyped. Back to my beloved other foundations.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I could not resist trying this, no matter how long the wait, as the price made it worth experimenting without much loss.
I have only been using this for a little over a week, although I ordered it two months before it arrived, so take everything I say being aware that I am a new user and who knows what might be the long term judgement. But as of now I am delighted with this foundation. It seems to be everything that is claimed for it, at least for me. I am an NC 22-23, leaning toward neutral, so I ordered a 2.0N(light medium neutral) which seems just fine, undetectable on my face as far as color goes. I use very little, much less than a pump, a few drops actually which I dot on cheeks chin nose and forehead and then use my fingers to spread. In a +15X magnifying mirror there is no gathering in either pores or wrinkles, which, being in my 80's I have a goodly number. But it evens out my skin beautifully, even with this minimal amount. One needs a really good moisturizer (over hydration) to keep from looking dry, but I am working on that. So far, I have no complaints. What a bargain, and you feel like you are have just skin on your face.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I ordered the serum foundation 2.0YG because it has a yellow undertone and I have light medium yellow skin tone. I think it took 3 weeks before it arrived, because they had a waiting list. I didn't mind because I already had enough foundation (the Giorgio Armani one, but I bought the wrong color, which is a different story).

It is very difficult for me to find a yellow foundation which is for light medium skin tone. Most NARS and Bobbi Brown foundations that I tested were way too dark for me, but this color matches my skin tone by 90%. If it had been slightly more yellow it would have been perfect. It is a beautiful light yellow color, but I don't know why it is called golden, because imo it also has a bit of a pink undertone.

The foundation is runny, but one pump will do for me. It does not completely cover my small acne scars, but I don't want to use more, because I have pretty good skin and I like medium coverage for daily use. I have combination skin but it tends to be more dry. You have to moisturize your face pretty well before applying because it tends to be a bit dry in the beginning. However, during the day my face becomes very dewy, almost oily, so I have to powder it anyways. I think that's the only downside I have. So, I think this will serum foundation is best for people with very dry to dry skin.

I would order this again, because I haven't had a foundation that matched my skin tone so well and the quality is just great for the price. However, I like to try out other foundations as well.

This product just came out around the time I was ordering a few other products from the site and I thought, 'why not?' and got both the Serum and the Coverage products. Because why not. I thought it would be fun to see how they measure up against my HG foundations, the description certainly has a lot of high claims. I got the shade 1.0N for my pale skin, and it matches me quite well, shade-wise. Spreads like any silicone-based foundation, no drag on skin. A single layer (with a foundation brush) does give sheer coverage, it didn't cover anything. Two layers - same thing, everything I'd want covered is still visible. Piling it on makes it go sort of greasy, like stirring balm cleanser with a brush all over face. I could see some of the pigment gathering in pores and lines, which is never a good sign with my skin. Finish is definitely on the dewy side and it doesn't "set" without a powder. Which is all quite strange, as the description claims a semi-matte finish and a spreadability system to keep the foundation from settling into lines and make it longer-lasting. Lasting power is a bit of a foggy matter to begin with due to the exceptionally sheer pigmentation, but the foundation does get more and more shiny quickly (3-4 h mark). I wasn't impressed. No coverage, no sign of texture improvements (like some of the sheer cover products that blur surface irregularities and make skin look airbrushed), quite the opposite and turns greasy fast.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I, really, really like this product. I think it's super lightweight and I would actually say the coverage is more than light, I'd say it's a solid medium on my skin. It's VERY lightweight and it feels like nothing on. It seems to be all pigment, which I don't mind at all. It tends to take on the qualities of your base, which means if you moisturize well and use a hydrating primer it'll feel very hydrating, etc. So customize as you want for your particular skin type. The only thing is I actually wish it came without the SPF and I can just wear my own underneath. I find that the physical sunblocks tend to look a bit weird on certain parts of my skin like my nose, when mixed with pigment on top of blackheads etc (almost like super tiny bumps where the sunblock settles and almost highlights). But that's the SPF not the foundation so if you havent had a problem with that before then you probably wont even notice (a lot of korean BB creams give me the same effect). Definitely recommend this. Will be repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I finally received my foundation yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out!
In the last few years my skin has changed a lot mainly due to hormonal changes, and I now rarely use foundation because I find it can make my face look greasy and my pores look enlarged. If I do use a base, it's MAC Studiofix. I like the finish of a liquid foundation though; The Ordinary's foundations have had such great reviews that I thought they were worth trying at the price.
Yesterday was incredibly warm so a good day to really put this product to the test. I used it over Clinique's DDML and La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 50; no primer.
Apparently each of The Ordinary's shades suit a range of about three skin shades, and the Wayne Goss comparison guide online says this shade is suitable for MAC NC30 to NC42. I'm MAC C40 and my Ordinary shade, 2.1Y (Medium with yellow undertones) matched my skin very well.
I used one pump applied with Real Techniques' Expert Face Brush (as recommended by Sali Hughes of The Guardian) all over my face. Perfect application, and my skin looked completely flawless. To my eyes the coverage was medium-to-full rather than sheer, but I think one pump was too much. As a serum formulation it worked very well with my BB Serum Concealer. I set the lot with Clinique loose powder in Invisible Blend, and went about my day.
I spent some time in a very hot car driving in the sun and generally outdoors. A few hours later my face looked slightly dewy but the foundation hadn't broken up on my forehead and my pores looked OK. 8 hours after application it did look a little worse for wear, but it had been very hot and I hadn't repowdered all day. My face looked darker at the end of the day; not sure if that was the product oxidizing or if I'd caught some sun.
I'll experiment with less product, over primer, etc. and update accordingly, but at this early stage I think this is an excellent product and am very pleased with my purchase. I also love the price! I'd rather spend £6 than £30 on a product I might only use twice a month.