Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by age: 36-43

4.6

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I happen to own both The Ordinary's Serum Foundation and their Full Coverage Foundation as well. I just switch back and forth between the two based upon my individual preference for the day or night(whenever I choose to wear it). The Serum Foundation provides a lot of coverage, more than I actually expected. I can can actually build up the Serum foundation to get medium-to full coverage, even though it is supposed to provide less coverage than The Ordinary's Coverage foundation. This foundation has a very liquidy texture, the very same as MAC's Face and Body Foundation. However, they are definitely not twins when it comes to foundations. The Serum foundation glides onto ones skin very easily, and does give off the most natural finish that I've ever seen. And, the shades that I have it in in the Serum foundation are 2.1Y and 1.2YG. 2.1Y goes on medium yellow, but then it quickly oxidizes to a very orangey tan color, which doesn't look natural on me, at all. Which is why, I got the 1.2YG to use to combine with it, in order to get my perfect match. For reference I have been shade matched to both NC & NW30 shades in MAC.

Even though there are currently 21 shades to choose from, the actual shades offered aren't the best, so quite a number of people will need to mix foundation shades in order to get their perfect match. Oh and I don't see any real noticeable difference between the shades in the Serum foundation and the same corresponding shades in the Coverage foundation.

I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. Plus, I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I apply this foundation with a foundation brush, and not a beauty blender, foundation wedges, or my fingers. And, I get a very seamless finish to my makeup, and I don't experience any creasing or caking. Now, this foundation must be set well with powder, because it gives off a satiny finish, and it will unfortunately very noticeably transfer if not set well with powder.

All skintypes can get away with using this foundation, as long as you make sure to powder it well to set it. However, if you have oily or very oily skin, you will need to touch up this foundation with powder or use an oil blotting sheet in order to keep your face as shine free as possible until you take it off. Now, if you have very dark pigmentation on your face and/or lots of breakouts, you will most definitely need to use a concealer with this foundation for sure. However, I use it without concealer, and it works pretty well for me.

Before picking a shade, please understand that these foundations start to oxidize quickly after you apply them. The Medium shade range, I will say is not truly reflective of medium skintones. So, if you are someone that falls in the medium category like I do, please know that the colors offered within the medium category, will not cut it for most people. Also, even though the bottle looks quite small, it does come with 1 oz. of product inside, which is the normal size that most foundations come in. Now, I did buy this foundation off of the Deciem website, where it retails for $6.70 U.S. dollars, and I actually received it within a very short amount of time. I didn't have to incur any long wait at all.

Now, I don't see any major difference between wearing the Serum foundation with or without primer, which is why, for the most part, I don't wear it with anything underneath it. If it's for a special occasion then I will apply a little bit of prime underneath, but on an ordinary basis, I don't use such at all on my face, and my makeup still stay's looking good for a very long time on my face. Oh and because this product has a lot of silicone derivatives in it, using a lotion or cream underneath that also has silicone(s) in it, and then possibly a sun protection lotion that has silicone(s) in it, and then a primer which has silicone(s) in it, is what is going to cause the foundation to actually wear away quickly and end up not lasting long on their face as well. The skin is just being layered with silicone laden products, and it is just too much for the face, which is where I see quite a number of people going wrong with this foundation. To get the best finish and the longest wear out of this foundation, just applying it to a bare face, really works the best and then setting it well, definitely will provide the best outcome with this foundation as well as the The Ordinary's Coverage Foundation as well.

I happen to be a very big fan of The Ordinary's foundations, as I happen to own well over 10 of them, at this current time. And, I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future for sure. They have become my go-to foundations, and I have absolutely no interest in switching to anything else. I like that I can use more than one shade to provide a customized shade match, and that I can buy several at once and still get a lot, without having to pay a lot. I buy The Ordinary foundations from off of the Deciem website. And, this foundation retails for $6.70 (if you live in the U.S.). Which is what I consider a really economical price to pay for a foundation that performs really well.

The best setting powder to use with high the The Ordinary's Serum and Coverage Foundations is Ben Nye's Banana Powder. As, it works like magic with any foundation, I swear!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool

I was so excited to try this foundation given all the hype and the price point. I ordered the 3.0R first and eventually ordered the 2.1P. I have normal skin with not much acne or any considerable problems except some surface redness. I usually like thinner foundations. This is one is super thin and runny, but also very comfortable. It spread easily with a Sigma F80 and 3DHD kabuki. It lasted all day comparable to any other foundations when I used a setting powder followed by a setting spray. I liked that the coverage wasn't so heavy that it let my freckles show through. It did cover my redness adequately.

However, why so yellow?! I don't exactly know my mac shade but my guess is NW35 to NW40, so I'm right on the line between 2.1P and 3.0R. After checking out a few swatches, I went with the 3.0R. Super orange on my skin tone, but probably the right depth of tone. I ordered the 2.1P and that was so many shades lighter (too light for me) but also has yellow undertones. Just for fun I mixed the 2.1P and the 3.0R and it looked like I put mustard on my face. If you are around medium/medium-tan and have cool undertones, the Ordinary will not have a good match for you. Hopefully they'll expand their shade range in the future.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I read a review in Cosmopolitan magazine about this cheap but wonderful foundation that had sold out, and could not wait to try it.

I ordered the serum foundations in the color of 3.2R. I was skeptic due to me having very oily skin. After I washed my face with the Ole Henrickson balance line, and applied my Bare Minerals primer I tried it out.

The color is amazing. It matches my skin so beautifully. I blended it on with my fingers, and my skin began to glow. I applied it around 8:00 a.m. and by 8:00 p.m. my skin still looked flawless. This was the best $6.70 cents I spent.

Needless to say I ordered 2 more bottles today. You never know when they may run out again.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I have been using shade 1.1n which is a great match for my MAC nc15 colouring,

It is a very liquidy formulae which comes in a very neat bottle with pump which I love. I find that two pumps provides enough foundation for my entire face. It blends really easily and provides light to medium coverage with a a very lovely natural finish. It makes my skin look healthy and brighter - which is great for days when I look a little tired. It lasts very well on my skin when set with a bit of powder.

I love this foundation and will definitely repurchase its as I prefer it to more expensive foundations

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I ordered this end April and just received 1 of 9, the rest are still pending shipment.
The first that has arrived is the serum 1.2YG. It's a perfect match for my NC20 skin. I don't see any gold shimmer but it can look very slightly yellow. This isn't a problem as I'm quite yellow being Asian.
The key to this foundation is proper moisturising. Although the consistency is watery, it somehow dried to a matte finish. I set it with my hour glass ambient powder in incandescent light. It's very beautiful and skin like. It's really my skin but better. I've tried using my fingers and the real techniques sponge and I have to say, using my fingers is a lot better. I use less and have a higher coverage. Takes me 10 seconds Vs a minute using the sponge.
It hasn't completely covered my acne scarring but I dab some Estee Lauder concealer on light warm medium and I'm good to go.
This lasts quite a good few hours. I've worn it for 6 hrs and it hasn't caked or smudged or melted. Given that it's 16 degrees in Melbourne, it's doing great.
I'm waiting for the rest to come and I'll add on to this review.
Totally worth it for the price. Very pigmented and it doesn't feel like you have makeup on. The wait is long though. I ordered mine from Victoria Health.