Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this in 1.0N, very fair neutral. I worried that it was too light, but I dot it on my (moisturized) face and blend with a foundation brush. I have been using a BB cream for several years, but have found that my early-mid 40s require a touch more coverage, This gives me a little more coverage but it's still my skin you notice, not the foundation. I will say that because I have extremely dry skin, I use a lot of moisturizer (with SPF) before I apply this, because one day I didn't and I felt like it settled into my lines. I was really stunned at the quality of this foundation given its giveaway price.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I admit it, I bought it for its price. Did not expect too much and I was almost sure I ordered the wrong shade (2.1P). Huge surprise, this foundation was beyond my expectations.

+Lightweight
+It covers as much as it should.
+Evens out my tone.
+Not cakey
+Can apply it easily
+Vast range of shades

-residues of the product stay inside the pump and next time you use it, it can get quickly throwned in various dimensions (eg. on your clothes). Better use your palm closed to protect from spilling.

I don't expect my make up to last for hours, my most important concern is that it feels comfortable. And this one does.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Well, living overseas has prevented me from trying any of the Ordinary products sooner. However, when I heard family from Canada was coming to visit, I decided to make a plan. I have dry, fine skin and don't like high coverage. I purchased shades 2.0yg and 2.1y (olive Skin, usually nc30/35). It is autumn where I am, so I mixed a little of both and used my fingers to apply. I did not use a primer, as I rarely do. I think this foundation is great. I know many people have issues with the finish or consistency, but this just works terrific for my skin type. Add in the low price, and it's a winner for me. I don't like the pump, so for 90 cents, I bought the droppers.

I’ve been using this for about 2 weeks and I’ve been really loving it. I’m over full coverage as that can look cakey and my skin has been pretty decent lately. I have combo skin. This goes on light, yet has moderate coverage. It looks like skin. Lasts pretty well on my skin when set with powder and setting spray. I use a pump and a half to cover my full face. Price is great. Only con is the pump can get messy f the foundation but I just wipe after each use. Overall, I love it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Light and sheer coverage for those who don’t want cakey face. Also gives my faces a glow. It won’t cover your obvious flaws like rosacea or scars but good for those who want a light wear on some days.

I love my other Deciem products, so I had pretty high hopes for this foundation despite its price. I was sorely disappointed.

I don't know if I got a dud bottle, because there are positive reviews for this foundation, and with the way it performs on my skin I don't understand how anyone can like it even a little bit. It's strangely watery yet dry-feeling at the same time. It applies almost gritty, like the pigment particles are so large they're actually visible to the naked eye. This magnifies any texture on my skin and makes me look like my face is carved from sandstone. Not a look I strive for.

It also refuses to blend, just gliding across the skin like I'm coated in teflon. I've tried numerous primers and applications tools and it does the same thing with all of them. This makes it a struggle to get an even application. It doesn't set AT ALL, even with generous amounts of setting powder. I can't touch my face while wearing this or it will come right off. In fact, I have to pin my HAIR back because it takes off the foundation if it gets in my face. Forget sweating even just a little bit - it actually runs down my face leaving very visible streaks.

Since it refuses to set, I can't use any products on top of it. No contouring, nu blush, no highlights, no bronzer. Not even concealer if I don't avoid the eye area altogether with the foundation.

This is the most horrible foundation I've ever tried. I can't find a single thing that I like about it, and you couldn't pay me to wear it in public. My bottle is going straight in the trash, and I'm going back to my Wet n Wild and Korean BB creams.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For the money, I think it's a very good foundation. I still prefer Armani Luminous Silk on my combination skin (neither excessively oily nor dry). I wear The Ordinary Serum Foundation over Bare Minerals Prep Step or Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and it lasts well on my skin without feeling heavy or thick. I set with Charlotte Tilbury's pressed powder. Coverage is medium. It gives me a satin finish, similar to that of Bobbi Brown's original Skin Foundation.

I usually apply with a Beautyblender sponge, but when I travel sometimes I substitute a dry wedge sponge or a brush such as the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. I like the foundation because I have a good color match and it evens out my skin tone without looking cakey or mask-like.

I've used more than half the bottle. I appreciate that The Ordinary includes a pump, however; I have learned to squirt this into the palm of my hand first. The pump has been known to squirt the foundation past my sponge and randomly onto nearby fabrics, the mirror, or the wall. I don't have this problem with all my foundation pumps, just this one. A minor quibble. I've also found that I need to shake the bottle before dispensing it. I've had the bottle for a few months.

I'll mention my shade in case this helps someone with a similar skin tone: In Bourjois Healthy Mix foundations I wear the shade 52 Vanille. In MAC's foundations I usually wear NC20 and Sand in Bobbi Brown's original Skin Foundation (not the new Long-Wear formula). In this foundation I am 1.2N Light Neutral, which has a yellow undertone. The Bourjois shade I wear is a bit less yellow than this one.

It's not my all-time favorite foundation but it's reasonably priced at $6.70, and I'm sure I'll finish the bottle. I like it enough to repurchase.

INGREDIENTS:

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, AQUA (WATER), CAPRYLYL METHICONE, COCONUT ALKANES, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, COCO CAPRYLATE/CAPRATE, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, CETYL DIGLYCERYL TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILOXY)SILYLETHYL DIMETHICONE, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, TOCOPHEROL, POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 POLYRICINOLEATE, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, HECTORITE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, HEXYL LAURATE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, STEARIC ACID, ALUMINA, TRISODIUM ETHYLENEDIAMINE DISUCCINATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CHLORPHENESIN. MAY CONTAIN [+/-]: TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), TIN OXIDE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), MICA, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lovely dewy finish, but my skin HATED it. My skin is now red, angry and flaky - having to use just E45 and bio oil on it at the moment. From reading up, it could be the coconut alkanes in it. Really surprised as I don’t have particularly sensitive skin. Perricone MD is the only other foundation that made me break out.

If you can choose the right colour online and your skin can tolerate it, it’s a great buy - but not for me!

*This review is for the serum foundation, not the full coverage foundation which is actually pretty good*: Eeeeeeeee....no. Good pigment, but extremely drying - like a heat-seeking missile for any barely-even-dry patches. It's somehow also very oily and *still* drying - slides around my face while highlighting every single pore I have. The wear just gets worse throughout the day. At 10.00 it was worth a shot but I am not sure I will ever really use this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I happen to own both The Ordinary's Serum Foundation and their Full Coverage Foundation as well. I just switch back and forth between the two based upon my individual preference for the day or night(whenever I choose to wear it). The Serum Foundation provides a lot of coverage, more than I actually expected. I can can actually build up the Serum foundation to get medium-to full coverage, even though it is supposed to provide less coverage than The Ordinary's Coverage foundation. This foundation has a very liquidy texture, the very same as MAC's Face and Body Foundation. However, they are definitely not twins when it comes to foundations. The Serum foundation glides onto ones skin very easily, and does give off the most natural finish that I've ever seen. And, the shades that I have it in in the Serum foundation are 2.1Y and 1.2YG. 2.1Y goes on medium yellow, but then it quickly oxidizes to a very orangey tan color, which doesn't look natural on me, at all. Which is why, I got the 1.2YG to use to combine with it, in order to get my perfect match. For reference I have been shade matched to both NC & NW30 shades in MAC.

Even though there are currently 21 shades to choose from, the actual shades offered aren't the best, so quite a number of people will need to mix foundation shades in order to get their perfect match. Oh and I don't see any real noticeable difference between the shades in the Serum foundation and the same corresponding shades in the Coverage foundation.

I have sensitive, dry-to-very dry, acne prone skin. Plus, I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I apply this foundation with a foundation brush, and not a beauty blender, foundation wedges, or my fingers. And, I get a very seamless finish to my makeup, and I don't experience any creasing or caking. Now, this foundation must be set well with powder, because it gives off a satiny finish, and it will unfortunately very noticeably transfer if not set well with powder.

All skintypes can get away with using this foundation, as long as you make sure to powder it well to set it. However, if you have oily or very oily skin, you will need to touch up this foundation with powder or use an oil blotting sheet in order to keep your face as shine free as possible until you take it off. Now, if you have very dark pigmentation on your face and/or lots of breakouts, you will most definitely need to use a concealer with this foundation for sure. However, I use it without concealer, and it works pretty well for me.

Before picking a shade, please understand that these foundations start to oxidize quickly after you apply them. The Medium shade range, I will say is not truly reflective of medium skintones. So, if you are someone that falls in the medium category like I do, please know that the colors offered within the medium category, will not cut it for most people. Also, even though the bottle looks quite small, it does come with 1 oz. of product inside, which is the normal size that most foundations come in. Now, I did buy this foundation off of the Deciem website, where it retails for $6.70 U.S. dollars, and I actually received it within a very short amount of time. I didn't have to incur any long wait at all.

Now, I don't see any major difference between wearing the Serum foundation with or without primer, which is why, for the most part, I don't wear it with anything underneath it. If it's for a special occasion then I will apply a little bit of prime underneath, but on an ordinary basis, I don't use such at all on my face, and my makeup still stay's looking good for a very long time on my face. Oh and because this product has a lot of silicone derivatives in it, using a lotion or cream underneath that also has silicone(s) in it, and then possibly a sun protection lotion that has silicone(s) in it, and then a primer which has silicone(s) in it, is what is going to cause the foundation to actually wear away quickly and end up not lasting long on their face as well. The skin is just being layered with silicone laden products, and it is just too much for the face, which is where I see quite a number of people going wrong with this foundation. To get the best finish and the longest wear out of this foundation, just applying it to a bare face, really works the best and then setting it well, definitely will provide the best outcome with this foundation as well as the The Ordinary's Coverage Foundation as well.

My biggest con with the Deciem foundations is that there's not a single shade that they offer that completely matches my skin tone, so mixing foundation shades is a must, but it is tedious to do everytime I desire to wear this foundation, which is why, I can say that I probably won't be re-purchasing the Deciem foundations anymore, because I have found a foundation that I like much better and do not have to mix shades in order to get my perfect color match and that is the LA. Colors Truly Matte Foundation.