Deciem The Ordinary Serum Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Dry

3.1

I love my other Deciem products, so I had pretty high hopes for this foundation despite its price. I was sorely disappointed.

I don't know if I got a dud bottle, because there are positive reviews for this foundation, and with the way it performs on my skin I don't understand how anyone can like it even a little bit. It's strangely watery yet dry-feeling at the same time. It applies almost gritty, like the pigment particles are so large they're actually visible to the naked eye. This magnifies any texture on my skin and makes me look like my face is carved from sandstone. Not a look I strive for.

It also refuses to blend, just gliding across the skin like I'm coated in teflon. I've tried numerous primers and applications tools and it does the same thing with all of them. This makes it a struggle to get an even application. It doesn't set AT ALL, even with generous amounts of setting powder. I can't touch my face while wearing this or it will come right off. In fact, I have to pin my HAIR back because it takes off the foundation if it gets in my face. Forget sweating even just a little bit - it actually runs down my face leaving very visible streaks.

Since it refuses to set, I can't use any products on top of it. No contouring, nu blush, no highlights, no bronzer. Not even concealer if I don't avoid the eye area altogether with the foundation.

This is the most horrible foundation I've ever tried. I can't find a single thing that I like about it, and you couldn't pay me to wear it in public. My bottle is going straight in the trash, and I'm going back to my Wet n Wild and Korean BB creams.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am in the U.K and waited eagerly for 3 weeks for this foundation. I chose two colours and both shades were fine for me. Sadly, that is where it ends as the foundation itself was so disappointing. I have tried it twice, with and without primer and with my fingers and a beauty blender, both times, it just clings to pores and sits in any fine lines or dry areas I have. It also disappears in areas like my chin and around nose within a few hours. I do have dry skin, but find this needs a slight powder down in areas and I always lightly powder any foundation. I looked older and at 51, this is something I don't want to do. I don't think this likes being powdered as it quickly looked 'cakey' . It also doesn't take blusher or bronzer very well. I had to apply twice the amount I normally do, which was weird and I wonder if it's because it's full of silicones. I didn't feel "me" wearing it. I really didn't like it and as I knew I'd never wear it again, they're in the bin. Definitely over hyped. Back to my beloved other foundations.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a lot of skin care from The Ordinary, which i really like and use regularly, so when i heard they were coming out with a foundation needless to say I was very intrigued. I love the concept behind this brand, few ingredients, cheap products and sleek packaging. Unfortunately this really didn't work out for me!

They also released a full-coverage foundation, but I bought the serum one because I like less coverage and luminosity, which serum foundations often have. I chose the shade 1.2N. It's always tricky choosing a foundation shade online, but I think I got away with it, the shade matches me pretty well.

I ordered the foundation on April 24th, and on the website they said that it would take around 10-15 days before it shipped, because of the high request on this product. Afterward I regularly received e-mails from the company, saying that they were sorry, but It would take a little while before my order will ship. Finally on May 12th, my order shipped. And a couple days later on May 16th I received my package.

I immediately started playing around with it, but I was quickly disappointed. The foundation doesn't blend very well, and it looks and feels very cakey and dry on the skin. Not what I expected at all. I can't say anything about the longevity of this foundation, because I couldn't get myself to wear it outside my house. Though I've tried it at home a couple times afterwords, but same results every time. Very disappointed and would definitely NOT recommend.

The packaging is alright, though I really wish i came with a cap. It has this twist function, so when twisted you can't pump any product out. I find this to be very messy. I must say that it's very affordable, I believe I gave 6,5 € minus shipping.

I couldn't get this to work, at all. Thought it would go on smoothly like a serum, and remain that way. Unfortunately, just an hour after applying, my jag skin felt prickly as if covered in sand. Not at all comfortable, and certainly not a good look. I've tried applying with a blender, a brush, a cheap spongey thing and fingers. I guesse using my hands was what worked best, but it was still a little patchy. Also didn't get on at all with any of my liquid/gel/cream blushes. Still, it's not the worst i've ever tried, and it is cheap - so i'm not putting a 1 overall. If I remember to, i might give it another go in the summer. Could be less likely to crumble if the weather is warmer and more humid.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

First I have to say how much I LOVE the Deciem skin care products. Since I started using them a few months ago my skin has improved a ton, in texture, comfort, and yes, it even glows! My hopes were up when I ordered the foundation! Alas, I was sorely disappointed. The whole range was too yellow for my skin. The coverage was ok but not the smoothest I've ever tried. Without a Beauty Blender it was much more uneven than most—leaning toward a mini relief map look.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I picked this up out of curiosity and I am not all that impressed. It's very yellow and in my case, 1.2YG was too light (NC25-30; 220 in Fenty and W4 in L'Oreal True Match) - then it dried down darker and ended up being a really good match. The formula itself is super thin and runny. I applied using my RT sponge and it took some work to blend. The coverage is medium but not buildable, at least not in my case. It didn't blend at all around my nose area an ended up being very patchy and even pilled up along the side creases of my nose. I didn't see any difference in the texture of my skin either. I'm not terribly disappointed since the price point is so low. I do like the simple packaging and the locking pump. That said, I wouldn't repurchase.

This foundation clings to ALL of my dry patches and makes me look super cakey. I really wanted this to like because of how affordable it is :/

For seven dollars The Ordinary's Serum Foundation is one of the best beauty buys out there. This foundation is best used by those with lighter colored skin (there aren't as many deeper toned colors as their should be) who have skin that tends to be on the more oily side. I have dry skin and this definitely accentuated dry flaky patches. Some of this can be remedied by mixing in a few drops of oil or moisturizer. To be totally honest, I'm not a fan of how the finished product looks on my skin, but I cannot point precisely why, I think it just leaves a bit of an unnatural look. My more detailed review with swatches can be seen here:

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I am a fan of this line, and have found several products to be staples, (retiniods, vit C, HA.) I like the singular ingredients for mixing and matching purposes, the clinical packaging and of course, the extremely reasonable price point.

I ordered this foundation the second it came out, in 2.1 y. (MAC C3/C4/NC 40)The shade was truly peachy, and borderline unwearable. I ordered a 2.0 neutral as a mixer, and was caught in the multi week wait.

I have had both shades and tried mixing then for several weeks now. I just can't get it to work perfectly. The 2.0 is very light, and I'm still coming up with a shade that's too peach.

The coverage is light to medium, Demi-matte and pretty. It does cling to dry patches, but that's what foundations do. It's a water-like consistency with a potentially dangerous messily squirting pump. It takes a bit of work to get the makeup to settle in and stop moving around the surface of the face. I've tired the RT face brush, the BB sponge, and the Clariosnic foundation head. The most effective tool, in my mind, is the BB. This is a good, not great foundation at a great price.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is so much better than the coverage one in terms of texture and staying power. This is much more watery than the coverage foundation but only a tad less coverage than the other. To be honest, it was easy for the other one to look cakey or “makeup-ish” so I only used little dots every time, maybe that’s why I think the coverage is the same. But the serum foundation feels better on spreading , also there’s less worry that it’d look unnatural. I ordered 1.1NS which has silver highlights in it. I noticed a slight sheen to it comparing to 1.2N but that’s all. Also a tiny bit paler, which is lighter than my nc15-20. I think 1.1NS would be suitable for nc10 or N10. Dried down to semi matte and it covers my pores beautifully.
However oil control is a big no. I’m oily in summer and I look greasy by the end of the day. Using oil control primer helped a lot unlike the coverage foundation where there’s no hope at all. In winter when my skin is good this is perfect. But when my skin starts to flake I would reach out to other more hydrating products. I do not see how I can use it alone as a foundation. Overall it’s a good product given it’s price and color range, good coverage and very beautiful finish, but touch ups are necessary for oily skin people