NIVEA Nivea Creme - Authentic German formula made in Europe

NIVEA Nivea Creme - Authentic German formula made in Europe
Nivea Creme - Authentic German formula made in EuropeNivea Creme - Authentic German formula made in Europe

Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit®), Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Parfum.

on 5/17/2017 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Recently I starting buying European made Nivea Soft from Smallflower.com. There is such a huge difference in the texture of the Nivea Soft sold in the US I imagine Europeans are confused when they think they'll be able to use familiar, trustred brands and they turn out to be quite different. (Please see my review of European Nivea Soft for more information). I decided to try Nivea cream, in the blue jar, which was around when I was a kid, but seemed to disappear for years. At Target I purchased a new plactic jar with a plastic screw-off cap. The cream inside looked like...skin cream. Only Noxzema and Nivea had the distinction of looking so much more interesting that other creams, but now even Nivea, which smelled a little depressing...like old shampoo...was just a gooey waxy cream. I received my German formula Nivea from Smallflower. It comes in a tin jar, with a tin cap that pops off. The difference in textures of the two creams is immediately obvious. European Nivea didn't budge. The tin got bend a bit from shipping and handling, the but cream stood up straight in the middle feeling no need to mush itself into the shape of the tin. The thick, pasty, soft, cool cream looked like it would turn white when rubbed onto my skin, and leaving me looking like a bizarre Snow White cosplay until I washed it off. So I was SHOCKED when this softened immediately on skin contact, warmed, and basically melted into my skin. Like Butter. No grease, No stickiness. Pleasant, light, fresh scent. Skin is revived immediatly and soothed. It looks and feels great!

I'm taking a guess as to why there's a texture difference: The Nivea Creme made in Mexico and sold in the US contains:Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum [Vaseline], Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

The two last ingredients, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, and Methylisothiazolinone, are preservatives. They are preservatives that have apparently caused mass skin care issues and allergies in Europe. The European Commission changed the cosmetic law to ban the use of MIT in leave-on cosmetic products. Since 12 February 2017, it is no longer permitted to make these products available to consumers. (http://www.thefactsabout.co.uk/methylisothiazolinone-and-methylchloroisothiazolinone/content/250)

German Nivea Creme Ingredients:Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit¨), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol.

No Vaseline. No Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm going to put this review here as my product was bought in the UK, although mine is in a plastic pot. You can buy the metal pots here though.

I've been recently trying the Korean skincare regime of layering, to try and find something that works to calm my rosacea. Unfortunately, it can very quickly become very expensive to keep buying products that either don't work with my skin or are very heavily fragranced when they arrived. So I needed something that I knew would work.

So, my skin is fairly unlined, and combination, although I'd say that as I age I have more dryness problems than oil problems. My eyelids in particular are extremely sensitive and get irritated sometimes, resulting in flaky skin. Not nice.

I use this for my dry hands and as a night cream. I wash my face in a non-foaming cleanser (using a Biore one from Japan at the moment), apply my antibiotic cream (not making much difference to the rosacea but I want to finish the tube) and allow to settle. Then I apply eye cream, serum and then add this over the top as a sort of moisture mask.

It works beautifully. When you initially scoop some up from the pot, it feels stiff and like it won't spread easily. However, when you start to massage it into your skin, it just melts in and spreads really well. It doesn't feel tacky, but it does feel moist for quite some time which is why I don't use it during the day. I doesn't irritate my skin, and when I wake up in the morning while I don't look glowy (I have never looked glowy in the morning who am I kidding!) my skin looks and feels plump and moisturised but not greasy.

This was cheap, so I don't feel bad if I have one in my bag and one on my dressing table. I picked this up on a whim having not used it for years and I'm really pleased I did.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was sure I'd written a review for the German-made Nivea but I guess there are several listings for this wonderful cream. Though I live in Canada, I'm fortunate to live in a city with Denninger's - a small chain of German delis that have morphed into small stores. They carry cookware, toys, gift items, household cleaning items and beauty products. This is where I get (among other things, including a wide range of British food items), "real" Persil from Germany and also the German-made Nivea cream. We always have a few tubs of this in the house (some of them disappear with my younger son on his stays at home). This cream is rich and thick but so mild and soothing. In winter, this is a terrific night cream and it even works beautifully under makeup if I have enough time to let it soak in. It's great on chapped hands and feet (put socks on though or you'll be sliding all over the place and leaving grease marks in your wake). It's one of the products I do like wearing outside in winter if we're going X country skiing or we're going to be out for a long time in the cold as it doesn't contain much water (maybe not any) so I don't have to worry about water freezing and harming my skin. There is a reason this has been around for as long as it has and why it's so coveted. The German made formula is becoming more widely available here in Canada - I've seen it in drug stores and, I think, even at the supermarket but I make a point of always reading the jar to make sure it is made in Germany rather than Mexico as the formulas really are different.

on 11/28/2017 5:40:00 AM

I've been only using this for a few days, but it has made a huge difference in my facial skin! I've been looking around for quite some time for a product that helps hydrate and calm my winter skin, and finally I've found it. I used to go to bed with several layers of Korean moisturizers and raw shea butter on top and had a humidifier in the bedroom and still woke up with dry skin! So, about a week ago, I got fed up with it. I went to the store and picked this cream up, which I've known since childhood. I put on a thick layer on my face before bedtime, and I woke up with not-that-dry skin! It gets less dry after every day I use this! So yesterday I rushed to the store to get two more HUGE tins of this. It's that great! Also, I have sensitive pro-breakout skin that's dry most of the time, and this doesn't break me out, nor give me blackheads. And I live in the Netherlands so we have the German formula here.

on 1/13/2018 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Just started using my Nivea Creame from Germany. Looks and smells the same.I think it does go into your skin better than the one made in Mexico. That can be the petroleum in one from Mexico, which is heavier product. Also this German made one doesn't have the preservatives in it, which is always good. I have had good results with the Mexican made one and will be very interested to see if this one is any better on my face, as the other is a little heavy.I love Nivea and also use Basis soap made by Nivea. I have Rosacea and wanted to try the German made product to see if it was even better. Time will tell. I do use this as a moisturizer under my Merle Norman Powder base foundation,I do not break out.I will do an update in 30 days to report if there is any difference in the formulas...

UPDATE: I have found that I like the Nivea Creame made in Mexico(cheaper formula) for my body and the German made one for my face. Makeup goes on more smoothly with it and my face is more moist after a month of this...both are good products!

on 4/21/2018 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

When this product was one of the few in the market, everyone, including my grandma, used it. Daily use of this product made her skin unbelievably soft, smooth and bright. She passed away at the 97 but even at that age, her skin was flawless. If you can find the genuine thing, grab it because there is no substitute. Even after years of new and innovative products, I bought this in Scotland and I was amazed of the quality. My skin can signal oily, dry and sensitive at different areas. This calmed all areas. Highly recommended!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Really great product that I've used for years
Price can't be beat
Worth trying if you're skeptical

on 10/5/2018 8:17:00 AM

Finally got the German formula Nivea creme!
It is definitely different from the one made in Mexico.

The German one absorbs better into the skin and feels less waxy.
I use this as a hand and feet cream and it works well.
Haven't tried it on my face as the floral smell is too overwhelming for me.
I use this only on small areas like hands and feet since smelling this constantly gives me a headache.

It would be perfect if the smell could be toned down or got rid of all together.

I read that this is a potential dupe for La Mer.
Maybe I'll try it on my face when I can overcome the strong floral smell of this creme.

on 10/5/2018 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This one changed my life forever. I bought 1 75ml tin, 4 400ml tin and 100ml tube and use it from face to toes. The mexican or thailand version has weird texture, which i hate as it doesn't sink into my skin and the german one have creamy texture like cream cheese. I have use more than 10 face cream and trust me whitening or anti-aging is for serum or essence, moisturizer is used to lock down all the nutrients of the previous steps as well as provide moisture to your skin so this cream is doing a great job.