Deciem The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

Deciem The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Rosa damascena flower water, Centaurea cyanus flower water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Propanediol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Aminomethyl Propanol, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Aspartic Acid, Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Valine, Isoleucine, Proline, Threonine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, PCA, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Urea, Hexyl Nicotinate, Dextrin, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Gellan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol 4.02

on 12/2/2018 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

ok...SO...my age is right out of the ball-park with what's listed here, so my review is based on someone in their late 50s with decent skin condition.
My skin condition declined somewhat after menopause and using cheaper skin-care products. Although I don't have a lot of wrinkles, my skin was quite red and blotchy with a couple of dry spots.
After returning from a lengthy overseas trip, I went to a medical/beauty therapy salon to get some advice. In a short space of time I was able to get my skin to looking hydrated, clear and firm by just using a cleanser, toner, mechanical peeling cream and daily moisturising (I will post my reviews on these products) as well as regular facials.
I must have been under a rock, because I have only recently discovered The Ordinary range. It is a product minefield and I've only added 3 products to my regular skincare regime.
My skin has just settled down and is only slightly pigmented on my cheeks I thought I'd try the Glycolic Acid 7% before going down the IPL route.
It's early days yet (3 weeks) and so far I am happy with how my skin is feeling.
Originally I applied GA7% to my arms, knees and shins as well as my decolletage. Applied once a week and left on my skin for 30 minutes. (Neutralising the acid only requires splashing with water) I pat my skin dry and then apply my body cream.
I have now used the GA7% on my face in the same manner and it has boosted my skin condition quite well. The application is included as part of a weekly evening facial routine. Two days later, I then use my jojoba exfoliating cream.
My moisturiser and body cream are being absorbed into my skin and I am using less product.
As far as the physical attributes of the product go, it does have that sticky feel to it which I use to my advantage. By initially wiping the product on and then using a patting motion as it goes sticky, it helps activate the circulation.
By leaving on for 30 minutes only, I've avoided any irritation and my skin is feeling smooth to the touch.
The GA7% is used in conjunction with TO "Buffet" and TO "Lactic Acid5% + HA" as well as my general skin care products.

on 8/6/2018 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Despite everything I've ever tried from The Ordinary being a disaster I'm still seduced by the brand on a regular basis. This toner is a perfect example: the ingredients are great, the pH is right, the size is generous, and the price can't be beat. And yes, it's definitely an effective exfoliator, so given all that I'm giving it 3 lippies. The one thing I just couldn't get past though was the film it would leave on my skin. It was humectant and normally I love humectants, but this just felt... oppressive. Ugh. I stopped using it on my face because if I wanted an exfoliating toner I've got like 3 others that are all a lot better and don't make me want to claw my skin off. For a while I used this in place of deodorant, which it worked good for, but again, I just couldn't get past the sticky film it left on my skin. After a year of owning it and only using 1/4 of the bottle I dumped it down the drain. Next time I'll just light a $10 bill on fire and call it done.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I thought this would be a cheaper dupe for the Pixi Glow Tonic (which I loved) since it's only about $7 for 8 oz but I should've known better--if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Ordinary toner is fine but I didn't really see the same results I saw with the Pixi one. With the Glow Tonic, I saw results immediately, and my skin looked clear, plumper, and my pores looked tighter. The Ordinary one was good for cell turnover but I felt like my skin wasn't glowing the same way in the morning. I only use it at night because it leaves my face way way too sticky to wear under makeup. (I feel like that sticky feeling takes a long time to dissipate too.) I like the package, it helps control how much I use each night, and one bottle lasted about 4-5 months with daily use. It does, however, have a very off-putting smell (almost sulfuric) so I'd pass if you're sensitive to them.

Bottom line, I'm going back to Glow Tonic.

on 1/25/2018 10:27:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Summary:
Pros:
-has rare 7% AHA concentration
-contains glycerin to help retain moisture
- plumps up my skin
- smooths
- price is a bargain
- good packaging (squeeze spout)

Cons
- Despite smoothing, this doesn't seem to help with my tiny whiteheads or blackheads
- Apparently the company's got some messy ceo shizt going on at present so I'm not sure if this will be around long term?

Full review:
I was about to re-purchase Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Resurfacing AHA Treatment but happened upon this brand, which had a much lower price point for an aha liquid. I also like the fact but it's only 7% AHA, as the Paula's Choice is 10% and too drying for me to use more than 1-2x a week. The price is $8.70 for 8.1 oz (aka 240 ml size), if purchased from the Deciem website. By comparison, Paula's Choice AHA liquid is $36 for 1 oz. (PCs liquid AHA is called "RESIST Advanced Smoothing Treatment 10% AHA" --they carry no AHA lower than 10%).

2/4/18 Applied this all over my face with a cotton pad at night. It's a clear fluid, no overpowering scent, and leaves a slightly sticky finish. No stinging or irritation on application. My skin didn't seem much different the next day but more use is needed.

2/9/18 After 5 day's use: I can really say now that I like this stuff. Love the light watery texture, and the price. My face started feeling like it was smoothing out by day 2, and had a slightly plumper feel by day 5. I never had any peeling or flaking, I've not decided if this is a negative since there were spots of my skin that were already clogged that I would have liked to have peeled a bit. Anyway, by day 6, I did start to notice some dryness. I hadn't been using any moisturizer on top of this so I will either do that or use this every other night. This has a winner so far.

May 2018
After Walgreens sunscreen wrecked my skin, I took a break from this for a while in favor of BHA to clear up the breakouts. Now that I'm using this again, I can say that this *definitely* makes my skin feel plumper and more hydrated than BHA. I'm trying this 4-5 days a week instead of every day to see if I can't avoid the dryness i started encountering by day 6.

7/25/18 Still love this. I find my skin looks so much plumper and healthier when I use it consistently. I still use it about 5 days a week at night. It does make me flake a bit otherwise. On off days I just moisturize with jojoba or a mild facial oil. And I gently do a manual exfoliation at least twice a week to keep and flakes and buildup at bay. One thing that I have to note (despite upping my rating to 5 stars) is that I still get small numbers of closed comedones and slightly enlarged pores despite using this. I try to counter it by using the Ordinary BHA in acne prone areas a couple times a week. This is a great value to boot, I'm still only halfway through the bottle.
Ingredients:
Phenylalanine, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, PCA, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Urea, Hexyl Nicotinate, Dextrin, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Gellan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

on 8/26/2017 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This has been a godsend for me. I have sensitive, perimenopausal skin that has decided to make use of whatever is left of my hormones and make up for what I missed during puberty. We're talking papulous rosacea, open pores, burning irritation and an overall look of ill-health. I know that I have to treat my skin gently, yet it was becoming congested in weird constellations across my cheekbones and under my chin in particular. Of course the congestion led to painful underground cysts that never amounted to anything, but looked swollen and took weeks to bugger off. I started with a twice-weekly application of THE ORDINARY'S gory-looking AHA & BHA mask and found it to be very effective, but it left me wanting more. This toner added to my nightly ritual has sweetened the deal. My redness has diminished. I haven't had a cyst in weeks and my blackhead clusters have gone.