Edward Bess Desert Sun

1 review

on 5/6/2017 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This isn’t something I use in the dead of winter when I’m at my fairest, but if I already have some summer color, faux or natural, this is great for the cheekbones and the tops of my shoulders, and anywhere else that I want to deepen a tan.

I ordered Desert Sun because I had been dissatisfied with light bronzers such as Too Faced Milk Chocolate, which is golden on me but not really tan. I already had Charlotte Tilbury’s original, lighter shade of Bronze & Glow (she later came out with a darker variation), and while it’s perfect for a subtle look for winter, it really isn’t dark enough for me in summer when I’ve visited the beach or applied sunless tanner. For reference, in Charlotte's Light Wonder Foundation I can wear Fair 2 when I'm pale but I easily go up to Fair 4 when I've had some sun, or up to Medium 6 in Magic Foundation.

I also recently purchased Tarte Hotel Heiress, which is in the middle between my Tilbury palette and my Edward Bess bronzer. Desert Sun is by far the darkest I own. It's darker than Benefit Hoola (original shade), too. Desert Sun is suitable for medium, already tan, or deep skin tones rather than pale skin. What I like about Desert Sun is that it’s not yellowish or orange or sparkly. It’s matte and it’s brown. It doesn’t fade easily, so I don’t have to reapply it later in the day. Because it’s a dark, richly pigmented shade, a fluffy brush is required to blend it. The little fan brush that comes in the compact is almost useless. It's a little scratchy and flimsy and I'd rather have sleeker packaging with no brush at all instead of the bigger compact required to house this one. For the body I prefer to use a big bronzing brush such as the one Charlotte Tilbury makes, and for smaller areas, Wayne Goss #14 or #2.

If you’re very fair, I recommend that you check out the lighter shade, Daydream, because you'll probably find that Desert Sun is too dark. But if you have a tan, amber, golden or deep complexion and you're frustrated with light bronzers that just don’t show up enough for you, give Desert Sun a try.