Tarte Sex Kitten Eyeliner

1 review

Black eyeliner is the only item that I wear every day, and I've tried many. My general opinion on pencil and gel eyeliners is that most high end products do not perform any better than drugstore. I have not bought a black pencil liner over $10 in a long time. I had been using gel eyeliner lately, which I greatly prefer to pencil for the longevity and intensity, but I don't love the extra few minutes spent applying it, and sometimes the eye irritation. I wanted gel performance but something I could just swipe on in seconds for every day. Sex Kitten's gel formula, promise of durability and the smudger on the end (I prefer my liner to not be too crisp and clean) grabbed me. I tried a couple of drugstore gel pencil formulas and they just didn't hold up.

This goes on smooth like a gel. It is easy to apply, no dragging on the skin. I do need to go over the line several times to get the intensity just right, intermittent with the smudger. Some days it comes together for me with just as much time spent on it as a real gel rather than a regular pencil, so it's not always a time saver.

In the winter, this held up as well as a gel throughout the day, when my other pencils were fading. As soon as slightly warmer weather hits, this smudges on me, and I actually get better performance from my cheap Revlon colorstay pencil. I can put the Revlon pencil on faster than this and they perform about the same. This pencil disappeared on me a few times by noon.

It is still a nice pencil, but unreliable for me and not always faster than real gel. I'll use mine up, and would consider repurchasing if it were about half the price that it is. I found it to be a decent pencil, just not worth the cost, and not a replacement for gel liner other than in the dead of winter.