Tarte Make Believe In Yourself Eye + Cheek Palette

Tarte Make Believe In Yourself Eye + Cheek Palette
Make Believe In Yourself Eye + Cheek Palette

4.4

on 12/11/2017 8:33:00 PM

I had been drooling over this palette since it was released but couldn't justify the purchase because I already have plenty of colorful shadows and only wear them from time to time. Well, it is currently on the Tarte site for $26 with an additional 25% off, so I finally bought it. Wow, I love this so much and am so glad I broke down and got it. My other colorful shadows don't have great staying power even with primer, but these hold on all day long. I generally just pat a color over my mobile lid with my pinky finger. Though this is a colorful palette, even the "brights" are somewhat muted, so I can wear them to work if I pair them with a neutral palette and just put one of these colors on the mobile lid. This does have one matte shade, which is a perfect transition for my NW13 skintone. I'll save that for when I travel with this since I can just use another matte neutral palette at home - I didn't expect this to be a stand-alone palette. I think I'm the lone dissenter, but I love the highlighter. It looks more beautiful and natural than any other highlighter I own on my NW13 skin.

Finally - the packaging! SO beautiful! And the shadows smell faintly of vanilla. I usually hate scents, but love this.

The colours swatch beautifully. Using them with a brush can be a bit tricky. What I have found works best is to use a slightly sticky primer and pat it on with a synthetic brush or a finger. I haven't used the highlighter yet so I cannot comment on it. Myth, the only matte shade in the palette, is a gorgeous all over colour to help transition the colours.

Got this beautiful palette on sale at Sephora (from CAD$52 to CAD$39) and I could not be more excited. The packaging is beautiful and feminine and classy.

I know that some people complain about not being able to use this entirely to create a complete look, but I feel like that's not what this palette is trying to be. It really just offers 8 richly pigmented tones of shimmery eyeshadoes to top off and compliment any look you want. They did throw in a matte pinky shade with brown undertone so if you want you can create a simple fun look if you are really in a pinch. But this is meant to be used with other eye shadows/palettes. In the center it comes with a gorgeous iridescent highlighter with pinky brown undertone and I absolutely love that.

Another big plus is the subtle vanilla scent in the shadows. So addictive!

All in all very glad I bought this and I have reached for it quite often. Probably won't repurchase as I can't see myself ever finishing this palette but I would highly recommend!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Every company and their mother has a sparkly unicorny palette out right now, and I told myself I wouldn't buy any more palettes with shimmer/glitter/holo themes unless it was going to carry its weight. I clearly have no discipline because last month I picked this up, shamelessly and impulsively. But the mere sight of this palette fills me with joy and hope. Yeah, that's probably too touchy feely, but trust me, I did NOT need it. I also did not know how often I would reach for it (and on some level I assumed I hardly would.) The thing about Tarte is that their packaging is so incredibly BEAUTIFUL, from the design to the big mirror to the glowy spectrum inside. What I didn't expect is that I have whipped it out every single day! As non-everyday as some of these shadows seem to be, I've used every single shade at some point over the past month to "pop" my upper lid because they play so beautifully well with matte shadows, even my Shade and Light palette. (I know, it's a weird combo. But my go-to is the left trio in the KVD palette and popping lids with "Crystal." Don't knock it till ya try it!) The highlighter is pretty and I like it on the inner corners; I have WAY too many highlighters so I sometimes forget to consider it. Also, without a doubt this smells like sweet marshmallowy cocoa. Everything about this palette really does cheer me up, as ridiculous as that sounds. It's the little things. Oh, and spray your brush using these; they can last 8+ hours if you do. EDIT: I did forget to mention the one matte shadow in here; I like it fine but I assume no is buying this palette for that one shade. If you're on the go and can't bring a suitcase full of palettes, it's something.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

This palette has sold out on Tarte and Sephora, but various other sites still stock it - Tarte have brought back other popular limited edition stuff in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up on the Tarte website again soon. QVC is the only official Tarte stockist over our side of the Atlantic and they are slow with releasing Tarte palettes, so haven't got it yet, but I thought that I'd put this review up ready for UK/European customers to help make up their minds in the coming months [I'm very impatient, so ordered mine from the US a short while ago].

I start by pointing out that Myth is the only matte shadow in the palette - a nice slightly-mauvy nude. All of the following shades are all metallic/pearly; Magic (bronze), Wings (copper), Marvel ( sage), Trance (taupe slate), Fairy (lavender), Mystic (blue), Dream (turquoise), Crystal (champagne) and Pixie (golden pink). In the center of the palette is Believe - a pearl toned eye/cheek highlighter. I can happily use this as a complete-look-in-one-compact product when I have simpler 1-crease-and-lid-shade makeup moods; using Myth in the crease works well with all of the glitzy shades, so when I use any one or two on the lids they compliment each other wonderfully. However I do find that the pretty and unusual-colours-and-finishes-for-Tarte encourage me to be a bit more creative, and beg for more colourful matte shades to be used as crease/transition shades, so I tend to reach for one my Kat Von D palettes to use alongside Make Believe In Yourself.

The pigmentation in all of the metallic/pearly shades is awesome, and the shadow formula is very soft and buttery. When I dip my brush into the shadows they do have some kickup to them, but they aren't patchy and apply with only a little [if any] fallout and blends really well, and everything is crease & fade resistant. The gold shimmer in several of the shades doesn't migrate all over my face during the day.

Myth is less-pigmented than everything else, but I think it is designed for using mainly as a base for the other shades, and to neaten up transition edges, so it's not a deal-breaker for me as I tend to pull in mattes from other palettes automatically for most times I use this palette anyway, as the shades are so pretty that I feel as though I simply have to dress them up with colourful matte shades.

My only disappointment with this palette is with the Believe highlighter; the cool-toned mostly-white-with-a-hint-of-pink shade looks odd on my skintone and just sits there as a strip of colour without extra careful blending, and then the cool shade vanishes and leaves me with nothing but heavy gold shimmer on my skin. I just find the mix of cool tines and heavy warm shimmer weird and unflattering, which disappointed me because I love Tarte's highlighters generally. I only get use out of Believe as a tearduct brightener.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

This is my Mermaid Unicorn Dreams Tutorial! This palette is truly dreamy! This is the perfect summer palette for fun weekends, festivals, fairs, nights on the town, riding that Harley! Rock that inner Mermaid Unicorn!! Ya KNOW ya want it!!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I love this palette- it's so pigmented and all the shades with the exception of 2 are very shimmery so if you hate shimmer stay away from this one; however, if you're like me and love all things shimmery, you will enjoy this palette. It will suit all skin tones, as it is highly pigmented. I do wear these to work, but most of the time I will go with the brown peachy shades (myth, pixie, magic, wings truce, and wings), but when I'm feeling a little adventurous, I wear Fairy and Dream). A little goes a long way. I've read reviews, you can use these damp/wet, but I have only used them dry and have not had an issue with them being just as vibrant. I also love the packaging- very colorful- I also believe this is the standard tarte packaging, as the bloom palette also has the same color for the cover. The inside has a nice mirror. I never use the mirror in any of my palettes so I can't review the ease of use with the mirror.

on 4/23/2017 11:39:00 AM

EDIT: (4/23/17) I forgot to add that there is little to no fallout of the eyeshadow.

The shade names drew me in along with the shimmer. I so far have enjoyed most of the colors in this palette. A couple of the neutrals I am not as excited about (magic and wings) but I will still be able to wear them. The rest of the shades I will get good use out of. I do find I have to pack it on my eyeshadow brush a couple of times over my lid to get enough color payoff. But it fits in one of my makeup bags. My favorite shades are trance (taupe), fairy (soft purple), and mystic (muted teal). Did I mention how I love the names of the shades? I would almost repurchase just for that. Though the shades are wearable also for the most part. The only shade I will not get much use out of is dream which is a turquoise.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have been waiting and waiting for this to arrive in-store at Sephora so I could see for myself if I really wanted these shadows (and the highlighter - that's almost an afterthought). I knew from seeing these on Temptalia that all but one of the colours was very shimmery but I absolutely LOVE some shimmer in my eye looks....note, I say "some". While I have similar shades to most of these shadows, the shades Marvel and Fairy really caught my eye. While I have at least 3 dupes of Marvel (a greenish gold), I still really wanted it and and, for a violet shadow, Fairy scored very well at Temptalia (purple shades are frequently disappointing). I'm really pleased with all the shimmer shadows in the palette and I haven't encountered the pigmentation problems the previous reviewer had. I use a pretty ordinary brush - a Sonia Kashuk small eye shadow brush (it's an oldie, so no number but it has a white handle and is now sold as the #106 brush) and I don't even find I have to dampen it to get good colour pay-off from most of the shadows. I'm less than thrilled with the highlighter in the middle of the palette. It's way too glittery, with a harsh looking gold glitter that I really wasn't expecting from how it looks in the pan. I may need to "play" with it more but as it stands now, I wouldn't use this on my cheekbones or on my browbone.

While this palette is super-pretty, it really is not a "must have" by any stretch of the imagination. And it really isn't a "stand alone" either. I need to combine it with some less "over the top shiny" shadows to get a wearable look (and bear in mind that I LOOOVE shimmer!) and this also means it is not ideal for travel, unless you don't mind taking another palette with you. But I am glad I have this and would replace it if something happened to it but if I were to use it all up, I don't think I'd replace it, if that makes any sense at all....

on 4/12/2017 12:15:00 PM

This is a nice palette for more subtle color. This might be a better product for a starter or someone who is newer to makeup. It is not very pigmented, but there is a trick to getting a punch out of your color. Use a short fat brush and also wet the bristles. That makes a big difference. My more detailed review video is below.