e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence

e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence

1.5

Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Trehalose, Niacinamide, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Extract, Cyclodextrin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium PCA, Urea, Polyquatemium-51, Triacetin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Coceth-7, PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Xanthum Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhe

on 5/5/2018 10:40:00 AM

I have sensitive, acne-prone skin.I purchased this because it does not contain silicone oils, e.g., dimethicone, that are in so many moisurizers. My skin gets clogged pores and pimples when I use products containing them. So I ordered this online and it arrived only partially filled. Which makes me wonder if it was previously used. I patch tested this twice and had no problem, but when I put this on all over my face and woke up with scaly, bumpy patches on my cheeks. As to efficacy, I don’t think it is very moisturizing, even for people who don’t have crazy, reactive skin.

on 3/23/2017 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had this product for a few weeks now, trying to find the best way to use it for my skin and what I wanted it to do.

Pros - does not cause any breakouts or agitation on my skin. It has a very slight fragrance, but not enough that it effects your skin. I'm super sensitive to scents, this doesn't bother me at all. It's a good sized bottle for the little you need to go a long way. The bottle describes it as a "liquid moisturizer" which is exactly what it is. This is not a toner, it doesn't dry out your skin or cleanse it like you may think by looking at the bottle. This is a liquid light moisturizer. Period.

How I use it: I bought it thinking I could pour it into a spray bottle and mist it on my face - no. The formula is too thick to spray like a mist on your face. What I did do: I still poured it into a bottle to spray (had an old WnW setting spray bottle which works great) and I put my regular moisturizer in the palm of my hand, then spritz about 2-3 pumps of this on top of my moisturizer in my hand. Then I mix the two a bit on my hands and then apply that to my face and rub it in like you normally would your face moisturizer. I found this works great. It's almost like a moisturizing boost in liquid form for your regular moisturizer. Since it's runny, I find that it works well with mixing into my moisturizer, thinning it out so that it applies better and faster into my skin.

I tried applying this after washing my face, first with a cotton ball, but stopped that after seeing a lot of the product get stuck in the cotton ball and go to waste. I then tried applying it by just dabbing it into my hand and then patting and rubbing it softly on my face - but it was a bit too runny alone for that. So by putting part of it into a small spray bottle and then spraying it on my moisturizer and mixing - helps me utilize this product to the best I can for the price without wasting any of it.

Only thing I'd note, I think I've been getting some of this on my neck when I rub my moisturizer down my face - and it may be agitating the skin on my neck a bit (neck on your skin is more sensitive). Not bad enough to stop, but just be aware to keep this on your face.

Benefits: I'm not sure that this is adding any more moisture to my skin or not - I think it's a bonus for your current face moisturizer, but I haven't seen anything exceptional from it (no brightening of skin, or shrinking pores etc..). So, even though I like it, I'm on the fence whether I'd really need to repurchase this. A little does go a long way - especially if you use it like I have been in a spray bottle to use only what you really need. (2-3 squirts, really).

Update: not long after this review - I stopped using this. It was causing agitation severe enough to create burns on my neck. Nothing happened with my face, just my neck was too sensitive for it. If you do use this - be careful with more sensitive skin areas.

Popular Face Skincare Products