essence Glitter in the Air Velvet Lipstick: Can't Buy Love, But Lipstick

No Image

2.0

1 review

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I was placing an Essence order online recently, and picked up a limited edition lipstick. Who can resist a new Essence lippie, right? They are so cheap, and are generally pretty good.

There wasn't much online about this tiny, two-lipstick range, but I thought I'd check it out. Can't Buy Love, but Lipstick was described as a creamy matte, dusty rose. First, isn't it funny that a glitter named lipstick is totally demi-matte? Even the tube has 'glitter' stylization and says 'leave glitter everywhere you go' or something. Anyway, I knew it was matte going in.

What I didn't know is that this lipstick would go on totally different than it appears online or even in a hand swatch. If you see a tube in person, the color is closer to the tube band (which is very light), but the online pictures of the bullet and tube band are not really accurate.

Anyway! I thought this would be a rosey/mauvey MLBB sort of shade. Instead it is super-white-based, very light, and almost mod-ish. It is a rosey color but...so white, much lighter than my natural lips. It does go on thick, creamy, and smooth, but looks more like a thick titanium dioxide paste tinted pink. And that white paste does call attention to some lip creases and can look a bit patchy.

I like the flavour (some sort of fruity smell/taste), I like the texture, sometimes I even wear it (at home only) and my daughter makes funny comments. But, truth be told, it washes me out (pale yellow/olive, dark hair), it's just too pale.

I doubt this will be in my drawer for much longer.