Freeman Coconut Glow Leave-On Bronzing Mask

3.0

1 review

Not tested on animals

on 3/13/2017 12:00:00 PM

First off, I've never been one for self-tanning or bronzing. I'm too cheap or too lazy to commit to going for spray tans or to apply self-tanner. I am on the pale side. Not Snow White, but I tend to wear usually something like the second-palest foundation color you can find in most drugstore lineups, so bronzed looks feel like they're not me.

Sometimes I do dream of a bit of color, though.

When I spotted this, billed as a leave-on bronzing mask, I was intrigued. I like a lot of Freeman products, and that it promised to bronze and moisturize, well, for something like $4, I thought why not? Plus, I flipped open the cap and liked the beachy (mostly coconut) scent, and it looked interesting, to see a hint of this bronze-y gel-moisturizer inside.

The instructions say to apply the mask to a clean face and neck, and to avoid contact with eyes. It also says to let it absorb in and to not wash off. Use as often as needed. And that's about it.

I've tried it that way, too. A little squirt on the hand makes it look somewhat intimidating. It kind of looks like partially set pudding in a bronze color. It blends out easily and doesn't look streaky, which is nice. It sets nicely, too, and looks more like one's skin has gotten a touch darker without looking sparkly or shimmery.

It doesn't quite work for me, though. It's not that it's a bad product. The color is nice. The scent is nice. The application is nice. It doesn't feel sticky or heavy once it sets, which is fairly quick. It leaves my skin feeling soft, too. (It's probably the dimethicone, coconut oil and shea butter, which are the top three ingredients listed, after water).

I'm just not sure what to make of this yet. I'm happy that it doesn't stain my skin, so I don't have to worry about awkward streaks.

I still find myself wondering what to do with it:
• If I put it on clean skin, can I put makeup over it and will some tan peep through? (Sort of, I guess.)
• Will the color build up, if I were to apply the mask every day? (I don't think it would.)
• Would it smear if I sweated or got caught in the rain? (Probably not, unless I applied tons of it, which would be hard to do.)

While I like this, I don't love it. If I apply it to my face or neck, I get a bit of color, but it feels too dark for me. But then again, I'm not one to self-tan, so that could just be a personal thing. (And I like to wear makeup in public, so this alone as a bronzer isn't going to cut it.) I have applied it to arms and legs, and it will make my skin look a bit softer and a bit more even and healthier looking. I like it for that. But I'm still working on it.

It seems to blend okay with some BB creams so I can add a touch of bronziness to formulas that are too pale for me, and I may try this in warmer weather with a dark shirt, so I can make my arms look a bit less pale. At best I'll use it as an easy moisturizing mask that lets me get a bit of hydration and some coconut scent, and rinse it off before applying makeup. So, basically, I guess I'm using it as a Freeman mask.