GUERLAIN Mon Guerlain

GUERLAIN Mon Guerlain

4.1

on 9/30/2018 7:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Mon Guerlain is another perfume that makes me wonder why it’s not more popular. It is sweet like many other popular fragrances (La Vie Est Belle, Flowerbomb, Coco Mademoiselle, Armani Si), but it is very distinct because of two major differences: the exclusion of patchouli and the inclusion of lavender. Lavender isn’t used much in women’s fragrances, so it is a unique and welcomed change of pace in Mon Guerlain. It adds a balance to the vanilla and tones down the sweetness. Mon Guerlain is slightly powdery, which I enjoy but others might not. I also like the plain, classy bottle and the lavender pink juice.

One thing that really bugs me is some of the perfume snobbery I witnessed on the fragrance boards after Guerlain released this fragrance. People were upset about Guerlain “selling out” by giving into the current gourmand trend. Others were upset that Guerlain chose Angelina Jolie. I think if YSL or D&G or pretty much any other perfume house had released this same exact fragrance no one would have complained. In fact, these same perfume snobs would have LOVED it! They see Guerlain as some sacred pedigree that they must protect. But, Guerlain is just a company. Money is what they want. They still make Jicky and LHB and Shalimar and Samsara for all the purists… it really isn’t that serious.

If you are looking for a more unique gourmand, then test out Mon Guerlain. I’m running through my 1oz bottle and probably will buy the 3.3oz during Sephora’s November 20% off.

on 7/20/2018 11:39:00 PM

I received a sample of this last November and tried it out for a while. I am super sensitive to perfumes (many cause migraines for me) so I have to tread lightly when trying new scents. Not only did this pass the migraine test, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it once the sample ran out. I treated myself to a bottle and it had become my favorite winter fragrance . Its warm vanilla scent feels like I’m wrapping myself in a cozy blanket. It’s comforting but not cloyingly sweet - it’s sophisticated yet can be worn every day. I love it!

I love Guerlain fragrances but with Mon Guerlain I was not into it. First, I didn’t like the whole big bucks ad campaign. Also I’m not fond of the spokesperson I just don’t feel like that was the right fit. So I was being snobby I guess because I love Shalimar, Samsara, Shalimar PI, and I like the soufflé 2014 perfume. So when I recieved a sample of this I just added it to my sample collection. Finally after seeing so many good reviews I said to myself try the sample. If I dislike it I have nothing to lose. I loved it! I know this is a commercial scent or one that is mass marketed and that was something I didn’t like but times change and a good fragrance is a good fragrance. So I bought the 3.3 ounce bottle and I don’t regret it one bit.

I love vanilla especially the way Guerlain does it. This does lean gourmand but this to me isn’t foodie vanilla at all. It’s a creamy, delicious, well done one. The lavender in this is very good it’s spicy but sweet. Mature but has a youthful vibe. The bergamot I don’t get to much except for the lovely citrus in the opening but I do not get a strong bergamot note, I read that’s due to new guidelines on bergamot oil. Nonetheless I like how this opens! The lavender together with the citrus smells so good, clean but spicy, yet, not too clean. Something about it is cozy too. The middle is lovely the iris isn’t standoffish as sometimes it can be. It is soft and beautiful, I keep catching whiffs of the Jasmine and no, it’s not not super strong or indolic at all. These two flowers intertwined with the rose which I do not smell but I think it’s how they go together that makes it so gorgeous!

Finally the base ah the vanilla I don’t get vanilla ice cream but instead a lavender vanilla desert that smells so good you almost don’t want to eat it because it just looks so pretty. I see on Fragrantica that they have added the notes patchouli and Licorice and I don’t smell either. Instead I get the vanilla obviously with some benzoin which I think adds to the vanilla combined with the tonka and sandalwood I just adore this! Because you can still smell the lavender in it when it totally dries down. But it’s so lovely it’s like a spicy vanilla, lavender delight! I also get a Shalimar vibe and can smell Wasser’s guerlinaide which I personally love.

So for me Mon Guerlain is beautiful it’s made for mass market but at the same time you can still tell this is Guerlain and it has Guerlain’s quality written all over it imo. I love it! I wish they’d come out with an intense version as I like my scents loud and this one is quite gentle. So, it is great for work and for me I wear it daily I find it to be perfect no matter what I’m wearing. Also this is great with all seasons I think. I also like it for day wear, the sillage is moderate on me and lasts for hours on my skin. I’m so happy I gave this scent a chance because I now love it. I’m glad I put aside my preconceived notions! This to me is a delicious fragrance that has just the amount of sweet and spice. I would like the shower gel and lotion too.

I also love the packaging and the spray nozzle on this is so perfect! It applies the perfume so evenly. Not too much not too little. I love the acid etching on the bottle, very old school like the vintage Shalimar. Love that they use the Jicky quadrilobe bottle as well. The pink juice suits it perfectly so feminine. Overall I love it! It gets a lot of compliments and makes me feel good. Love!

on 2/23/2018 8:48:00 PM

I hate to rain on this parade. And even more so, I hate that I was right to have trusted my instincts. I didn't like Guerlain "selling out", "cheapening" their brand, I didn't like the choice of Angelina Jolie trying to be the modern day Audrey Hepburn. I'm sorry but Audrey Hepburn allowed herself to age naturally and lived through the war, and had qualities that I just don't see in any actress today and certainly not AJ. But I chastised myself for being a fusty old fuddy duddy. It had lots of great reviews and I liked the idea of a high end elevated version of a homely vanilla scent. Let me tell you: I prefer my Demeter fragrance library Vanilla Ice Cream to this!!!

OK When this perfume is first sprayed, it has a promising start. There's licorice and a green fresh blast which gives it an interesting take. However after at most ten minutes, this settles into a sweet musty cigar type scent and I swear I smell like one of those old over groomed men who have over shined shoes and over shined hair (what's left of it) and smoke a pungent cigar. It's sickly sweet and smokey but not in a leather smoke way, in a very musty overwhelming sweet smoke. When my grandpa died my grandma said she missed the smell of his sweet pipe smoke wafting through from the TV room. Maybe this would appeal to her. I like the smell of pipe smoke too, but I don't want to smell of it and this is a very sickly version of it. A few times I wore this to the gym and I thought, ugh why do people smoke before they come to the gym? And then with horror I realised it was my perfume!

I really don't like this and I've just put it up for sale. I blind bought this (yes very foolish!) but it was on offer with the maxi lash mascara which I love and use daily and I figured the notes sounded good, I liked the sound of lavender (which sadly is weak at best, to me) and ultimately it is Guerlain after all. But I just don't like this. I like l'heure blue and jicky and possibly others but I didn't like la Petite robe noir and I should have known (albeit I suspected) that this was more of the same mass market trash. I don't want to be a snob but this just smells really generic and doesn't smell like a high end perfume to me. It smells try-hard and over fussy but at the same time very dupeable. I can't smell individual notes at all once it settles down. If it could retain the initial promise of the first blast then I'd probably warm to it. Very disappointing purchase. I wouldn't recommend it but I am a perfume connoisseur and I am willing to invest in high end fragrances when they are really individual and special. I mean, I wouldn't spend hundreds or thousands but I spend around £70 or so on Hermes that I love and rebuy in bulk at duty free. If I was drawn to this fragrance I'd get it for a fraction of the price. The Demeter fragrance I mentioned above has notes of vanilla and ice cream cone and creaminess and although it's a EDT the notes stay distinct throughout. This is supposed to be an EDP but I felt it had poor wear time. For ten minutes it smelt great and vibrant and unique, then it fades to this sweet musky mustiness which I hated, but within 3 hours - at most- it's gone completely. The bottle is very beautiful, I will give it that.

on 1/27/2018 6:46:00 AM

Love this scent. Unobtrusive, gentle, but with a lively kick. I needed a new fragrance and bought this based on the reviews from the lovely ladies posting their reviews. I am not disappointed. First Guerlain ever and it is a winner. People ask me every week what I am wearing. Love.

on 1/19/2018 7:35:00 PM

This fragrance isn't terrible-it's just not for me. At drydown, it's a sweet, strong vanilla fragrance with hints of lavender, flowers and powder. Unless you love vanilla and sweet fragrances, you likely won't love this, since the vanilla is very dominant in it. I don't find it to be particularly original, either, just another variation of vanilla fragrance.

on 11/10/2017 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The best parfum ever!!!So soft and gentle ,i’ve got a many compliments...

on 9/21/2017 2:25:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This came across as a plain floral vanilla to me. Nothing original or special about it. It gave me a slight headache to be honest. Really disappointed because I love vanilla scents and wanted to love this one but it just didn't work for me. Would not repurchase.

This perfume has got a lot of negative reviews online. Just because it's a Guerlain does it mean it has to smell like the older Guerlains? There is a reason these type of perfumes are made these days and it's because there's a demand for them. I personally love it. I don't like the older style Shalimar or Samsara (my bad) so this one suits me down to the ground. I also love La vie est belle which Mon Guerlain has been compared to. They smell absolutely nothing alike at all. I bought a 50ml bottle but returned it to get the 100ml.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's a beautiful scent, although a little too sweet for my liking. It smells a lot like Flowerbomb, in my opinion. Since it's eau de parfum, it's a little more pricy than others, but that means you don't have to re-apply as often. If you're on a budget, Pink Sugar will give you a similar scent for less.