GUERLAIN Mon Guerlain

Filtered by skin type : Dry
GUERLAIN Mon Guerlain

on 6/11/2018 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After multiple samplings of Mon Guerlain when it was launched in spring of '17 I did buy a full bottle the following fall, and I have been enjoying it a lot, so much so that it's close to being empty! Yes, I also wasn't a fan of the ad campaign but my main reason for holding off on buying was that initially I simply wasn't sure whether this fragrance was unique enough to add it to my already pretty large collection. I do see some faint similarities with La Vie est Belle from Lancome and a few more with Mon Exclusif from Guerlain, neither of which I own. The latter is not so surprising as Mon Exclusif was created by the same famous Guerlain nose, Thierry Wasser. For reference, Guerlains that I do own are Shalimar, Terracotta, Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Cuir Beluga. After using it regularly for close to a year, I definitely think that Mon Guerlain is a very well made gourmand. Although it is this hugely successful best seller and crowd pleaser, I feel that Thierry Wasser has created a quality perfume which exudes elegance and style. It has good staying power on my skin and is never overwhelming. I have worn Mon Guerlain in all seasons and to many different occasions and it worked well in all of them. The opening features a fresh, herbal quality, due to lavender, which I find dry and very enjoyable. A few minutes later, the floral elements, I detect mainly Jasmin Sambac, come into play and the famous vanilla Guerlinade is definitely present also. Mon Guerlain is soft and sweet but neither boring nor too sweet in my opinion, I would recommend that fans of gourmand fragrances give it a try. I also much appreciate the design of the bottle. I find it classic and tasteful yet modern and the pinkish hue of the perfume is simply beautiful. I have already repurchased and I plan to keep this in my rotation.

on 10/31/2017 6:43:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This fragrance, which is based on lavender and jasmine, is objectively lovely. It's just not for me. It has a powerful vanilla base that would appeal to so many, just not to me. (Sweet vanillas and I are no longer on speaking terms.) The result is powerfully sweet and strong. There is no animal, leather, green, or dry note to allay the sweetness. You would think the lavender would do this, but it barely makes a dent. If you love vanilla, dig right in. You will love this. It lasts a good while and has considerable sillage. For most, this would be an evening or special event fragrance. I would classify this as an oriental. This reminds me a bit of Narciso Rodriguez for Her.

on 5/17/2017 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This perfume seems to get a ton of bad rap from the fragrance community and hardcore Guerlain devotees (though arguably, these two can actually just mean one and the same thing honestly, haha) and while I consider Guerlain to be among my favourite perfume houses, I actually love Mon Guerlain! Yes, it's sweet, not that unique, caters to modern tastes and maybe *is* a bit too easy to like, but no one else does sweet perfumes with a refined French elegance the way Guerlain does. Among the modern gourmand perfumes that are oh so ubiquitous these days, Mon Guerlain is undoubtedly one of the best iterations of that genre.

Mon Guerlain immediately opens with a sweet, herbal lavender with just enough bergamot to give the impression of fizziness and a bit of sparkle at the top. Then, a decadent gourmand iris makes it's entrance, luscious and buttery in nature; there is nothing vegetal or 'root-y' about the iris, as it is blushing in pastel pink and purple hues. The vanilla is very strong in this, but it's that signature Guerlain vanilla that is sensual, balmy and sumptuous all at once. It is addicting and instantly recognizable if you are familiar with it. The fragrance dries down to soft Guerlain vanilla with gourmand tonka beans that have a marzipan-like facet, all resting on a fuzzy bed of clean white musk. A shade of aromatic pale lavender persists in the drydown, giving the fragrance an air of girly romanticism.

Lasting power is good with at least 8 hours of weartime. Sillage is within an arms length until the 3 hour mark, in which it becomes a skin scent.The quality of the juice is nothing short of Guerlain quality, and I really commend Thierry Wasser for the painstaking time and love he puts into his fragrances and carefully done reformulations of classics. Well-done! :)