Guerlain Mon Guerlain

Guerlain Mon Guerlain

4.2

on 2/23/2018 8:48:00 PM

I hate to rain on this parade. And even more so, I hate that I was right to have trusted my instincts. I didn't like Guerlain "selling out", "cheapening" their brand, I didn't like the choice of Angelina Jolie trying to be the modern day Audrey Hepburn. I'm sorry but Audrey Hepburn allowed herself to age naturally and lived through the war, and had qualities that I just don't see in any actress today and certainly not AJ. But I chastised myself for being a fusty old fuddy duddy. It had lots of great reviews and I liked the idea of a high end elevated version of a homely vanilla scent. Let me tell you: I prefer my Demeter fragrance library Vanilla Ice Cream to this!!!

OK When this perfume is first sprayed, it has a promising start. There's licorice and a green fresh blast which gives it an interesting take. However after at most ten minutes, this settles into a sweet musty cigar type scent and I swear I smell like one of those old over groomed men who have over shined shoes and over shined hair (what's left of it) and smoke a pungent cigar. It's sickly sweet and smokey but not in a leather smoke way, in a very musty overwhelming sweet smoke. When my grandpa died my grandma said she missed the smell of his sweet pipe smoke wafting through from the TV room. Maybe this would appeal to her. I like the smell of pipe smoke too, but I don't want to smell of it and this is a very sickly version of it. A few times I wore this to the gym and I thought, ugh why do people smoke before they come to the gym? And then with horror I realised it was my perfume!

I really don't like this and I've just put it up for sale. I blind bought this (yes very foolish!) but it was on offer with the maxi lash mascara which I love and use daily and I figured the notes sounded good, I liked the sound of lavender (which sadly is weak at best, to me) and ultimately it is Guerlain after all. But I just don't like this. I like l'heure blue and jicky and possibly others but I didn't like la Petite robe noir and I should have known (albeit I suspected) that this was more of the same mass market trash. I don't want to be a snob but this just smells really generic and doesn't smell like a high end perfume to me. It smells try-hard and over fussy but at the same time very dupeable. I can't smell individual notes at all once it settles down. If it could retain the initial promise of the first blast then I'd probably warm to it. Very disappointing purchase. I wouldn't recommend it but I am a perfume connoisseur and I am willing to invest in high end fragrances when they are really individual and special. I mean, I wouldn't spend hundreds or thousands but I spend around £70 or so on Hermes that I love and rebuy in bulk at duty free. If I was drawn to this fragrance I'd get it for a fraction of the price. The Demeter fragrance I mentioned above has notes of vanilla and ice cream cone and creaminess and although it's a EDT the notes stay distinct throughout. This is supposed to be an EDP but I felt it had poor wear time. For ten minutes it smelt great and vibrant and unique, then it fades to this sweet musky mustiness which I hated, but within 3 hours - at most- it's gone completely. The bottle is very beautiful, I will give it that.

on 1/19/2018 7:35:00 PM

This fragrance isn't terrible-it's just not for me. At drydown, it's a sweet, strong vanilla fragrance with hints of lavender, flowers and powder. Unless you love vanilla and sweet fragrances, you likely won't love this, since the vanilla is very dominant in it. I don't find it to be particularly original, either, just another variation of vanilla fragrance.

on 9/21/2017 2:25:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This came across as a plain floral vanilla to me. Nothing original or special about it. It gave me a slight headache to be honest. Really disappointed because I love vanilla scents and wanted to love this one but it just didn't work for me. Would not repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This was a blind buy for me, as I purchased it online. I regretted it immediately. The opening notes are much too peppery, leathery and masculine for my taste. The dry down is a smoky vanilla that I like, but I just can't get past the opening, which lasts a good long while.
Think leather jacket + bitter florals + smoky, peppery vanilla. An oriental perfume for sure.

on 10/31/2017 6:43:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This fragrance, which is based on lavender and jasmine, is objectively lovely. It's just not for me. It has a powerful vanilla base that would appeal to so many, just not to me. (Sweet vanillas and I are no longer on speaking terms.) The result is powerfully sweet and strong. There is no animal, leather, green, or dry note to allay the sweetness. You would think the lavender would do this, but it barely makes a dent. If you love vanilla, dig right in. You will love this. It lasts a good while and has considerable sillage. For most, this would be an evening or special event fragrance. I would classify this as an oriental. This reminds me a bit of Narciso Rodriguez for Her.

on 6/11/2018 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After multiple samplings of Mon Guerlain when it was launched in spring of '17 I did buy a full bottle the following fall, and I have been enjoying it a lot, so much so that it's close to being empty! Yes, I also wasn't a fan of the ad campaign but my main reason for holding off on buying was that initially I simply wasn't sure whether this fragrance was unique enough to add it to my already pretty large collection. I do see some faint similarities with La Vie est Belle from Lancome and a few more with Mon Exclusif from Guerlain, neither of which I own. The latter is not so surprising as Mon Exclusif was created by the same famous Guerlain nose, Thierry Wasser. For reference, Guerlains that I do own are Shalimar, Terracotta, Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Cuir Beluga. After using it regularly for close to a year, I definitely think that Mon Guerlain is a very well made gourmand. Although it is this hugely successful best seller and crowd pleaser, I feel that Thierry Wasser has created a quality perfume which exudes elegance and style. It has good staying power on my skin and is never overwhelming. I have worn Mon Guerlain in all seasons and to many different occasions and it worked well in all of them. The opening features a fresh, herbal quality, due to lavender, which I find dry and very enjoyable. A few minutes later, the floral elements, I detect mainly Jasmin Sambac, come into play and the famous vanilla Guerlinade is definitely present also. Mon Guerlain is soft and sweet but neither boring nor too sweet in my opinion, I would recommend that fans of gourmand fragrances give it a try. I also much appreciate the design of the bottle. I find it classic and tasteful yet modern and the pinkish hue of the perfume is simply beautiful. I have already repurchased and I plan to keep this in my rotation.

on 8/27/2017 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Have just managed to acquire a 100ml bottle of this from a lady on eBay.
I have never had a perfume from the Guerlain house before, so certainly aren't going to be slating them for wandering off track to join the current trend of 'in the moment' scent tastes! I just take as I find. I had already sampled this perfume so knew i liked it, so it was not a blind buy.
Anyway, it's beautiful! Very feminine and yes it is a little sweet, but definitely not as sickly sweet as La Vie Est Belle which I also sampled and wore for a day. They do still remind me of each other slightly though, before the dry down at least.
LVEB made me feel a little nauseous, whereas Mon Guerlain does not. However, I will definitely admit that LVEB has far better longevity.
The bottle is simple and stunning and looks classy on your dressing table.
I am 43, but of all the samples I have had that my daughter (nearly 20) has also sniffed, this is the one that she also thinks is the nicest (along with LVEB) so I think it will appeal to anyone out their teens and upwards as it's just 'pretty' and feminine. It's not unique I guess, it's not quirky like Mugler scents (which don't do it for me anyway) but I can't see anyone really objecting to the way this smells.
Only downside like I say is the fact that it only lasts 3-4 hours tops on my skin.
Definitely recommend in terms of a lovely smell though!

I really like this perfume. It smells good. The lavender is in nice balance with the bergamot in the top note and also with the vanilla and sandalwood base notes. This is a nice perfume you can smell every note, on me at least. I love the middle notes about 7-20 minutes later you can really smell the Sanbac Jasmin and Iris... It's heavenly. My favorite part.
I found about after and 1 1/2- 2 hours later, all that you can really smell strongly is the bottom notes of vanilla, Australian sandalwood, and coumarin. You still can pick up the floral notes in it...but very faintly.
I don't think this is close to Flowerbomb (have it) or the La Vie est Bella. Those are way sweeter and while I like them...I think Mon is more sophisticated, subtle, and powdery. The lavender also sets the apart from others, it doesn't smell like "old lady" perfume and it is balanced perfectly to make this sweet perfume smell smell clean and fresh.
The silage is great! It literally will smell up an entire room for a couple hours when sprayed but dies down quickly to a couple of feet around you for 3 to 6 hours. After that I have to smell my wrist to even smell it. I give it a max of 8 hours on me, which is disappointing for a perfume by the house of Guerlain. They usually last forever and a day.
I gave four overall stars because I love Thierry's work and this is so simple and a beautiful smell and balanced composition, but it is so common these days, that's all they sell is gourmand-florals. So if your looking for a one of a kind scent than you probably won't like this, especially if your tired of FB and EVEB.... But if your like me and love sweet candy florals and love Guerlain, than this is a nice addition!
I gave three stars for price since I paid 130$ USD for the 3.3 oz.
I also gave packaging three stars because it leaks a tiny bit around the nozzle when I spray it, which never has happened before to me. So, I am scared to travel with it which pisses me off. I love carrying perfume in my bags. I paid over hundred dollars for a leaky bottle.... I'm glad I notice because if that got spilled on my LV bag I would of been really upset. BUT I love the bottle it's so pretty and I like that it just says Guerlain on the bottom, its like I have a custom perfume.
I don't think I will repurchase though maybe I will but its too soon to tell. I have to see how this smells throughout the year.

on 3/14/2017 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This scent is by no means groundbreaking. It reminds me of other sweet perfumes like La Vie Est Belle, Flowerbomb, etc. It has the Guerlain touch though. The lavender note in this is beautiful and interesting. It is a sweet fragrance, but not sickeningly so. The jasmine is a nice touch too. It is a soft scent that will not offend.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's a beautiful scent, although a little too sweet for my liking. It smells a lot like Flowerbomb, in my opinion. Since it's eau de parfum, it's a little more pricy than others, but that means you don't have to re-apply as often. If you're on a budget, Pink Sugar will give you a similar scent for less.

Popular Fragrances