Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer

Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer
Optical Illusion Complexion Primer

4.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate Benzoate, Glycerin, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Limnanthes Alba Seed Oil / Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Dimethiconol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Water, Hydroxyapatite, Sodium Olivoyl Glutamate, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin. [ /- (May Contain): Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491 / Iron Oxides].From; Sephora website, 12/26/17

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got 3 of these as samples off UD dot com orders & I love this. I don’t know how much it costs I’m sure plenty but it really helps my fdtn game. I would put “maybe” on rebuy depending on its price. It sure does work on my crater face crater pores it really made my fdtn “stick” only had to blot once this entire day ehhh that’s awesome better than Benefit porefessional! I want to get UD fdtn too when I get paid! I have my HG loose powders (chanel, physicians formula & laura mercier) I would say this is the best primer I’ve tried on the market. I’ll find a way to buy it lol if I have to eat ramen for the next 3 weeks lol it keeps your fdtn in place if you are v. oily & have big pores it fills them in/“blurs” them & controls oil. Doesn’t break me out & I am break out prone! Pump packaging is nice but you can’t get the v. last bits out. It’s sanitary but it’s wasted a little. #winning Grade: A-

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

This is my HG primer. I've tried a few: Smashbox, Becca, NYX and have had samples of the Hourglass, Tarte (in the pot) and the new Tatcha ($52). This Optical illusion is the one that smoothes my skin the most and makes my foundation lasts. Of all the others the one that seem comparable was the Tatcha but has a hefty price tag. The one thing I don't like much about it is that once it sets, it leaves a light white cast that I'm sure it can give flashback when taking pictures.

on 1/1/2018 8:48:00 PM

Next to Tarte's Timeless Smoothing Primer, this is my 2nd favorite primer. It definitely gives my mature combo skin a flawless canvas for applying makeup, and gives a total airbrushed/pore less look. It works well under powder foundations and liquids, and gives more longevity overall to my makeup than if I don't use it. I also have Loreal Secrets Magic Perfecting Base Primer in the jar that is a drugstore dupe for the Tarte, if you don't want to spend the $35+ on the UD or Tarte, for $13 it's a great alternative, and I use it on days that I don't want to use my more expensive primers.

on 12/31/2017 1:02:00 PM

Love this! Works great on my 46 yr old combo skin, leaves a lovely blurred finish and works with liquid & powder foundation. It has a brightening effect on my pale nc15 skin, so it could be used alone for a natural look. Longevity is very good. My 13 yr old DD also loves it.

on 12/29/2017 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I went on a primer kick recently, eager to get the flawless, poreless skin that's so in these days. I tried Erborian's Pink Perfect Creme, Becca's First Light primer, Paula's Choice Smoothing Primer, Benefit's That Gal...and this. I got this in the sample size because of the Sephora F&F sale, not expecting it to live up to the hype. Urban Decay is a hit and miss with me. But gosh, this primer is da bomb. It has a silicony feel (like Paula's Choice) but when I apply it, my usually sallow skin looks radiant (better than Becca) and poreless (better than all the others mentioned above). It makes my skin look so healthy and smooth that on days I want a no-makeup look, I don't even need foundation. Just this, concealer under my eyes, some highlight and I'm good to go. After having tried this, I don't think any of my other primers would see light of day.

on 12/7/2017 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

LOVE this stuff! I have tried about a hundred different primers and this is my absolute holy grail. I have super dry, aging skin (gotta love getting old) and this does not dry me out at all. Even so-called moisturizing primers dried out my face (looking at you, MUFE and Too Faced) I put this on after moisturizer, then my foundation and my make-up is pretty much on lock-down all day. I would probably pay twice the amount for this stuff (but don't tell Urban Decay that)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I tried this on my hand several times- at least on the back of the hand this is smooth, velvety, and definitely blurs and brightens imperfections. It's a bit more tacky on the face though, obviously a plus!

Now on to performance- this still feels smooth on the face and helps blur discoloration/scarring and overall brightens things up. However, since I'm used to a more gel like primer it felt dry when used alone. I now prefer to dot a very basic gel moisturizer over my face and small dots of primer. This seems to blend better that way and still feels tacky when it sets.

I notice about ten hour wear with this, and I imagine since I use it sparingly around my nose that it's why I lose more coverage there. I never need more than a pea sized amount. It's a bit pricey for my preference but I feel it lasts long enough to make it worth it.

My final thoughts are to cleanse well with this one! If I'm not thorough after using it my skin does not thank me. If you are prone to cystic acne then definitely heed my warning :)

on 11/1/2017 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Have you ever used a product and wondered where this product had been all your life? I always had problems with foundations drying TF out of my skin, but when I use this, ever single imperfection is blurred. AMAZING. I was at the point where I thought I had to give up foundation forever, but now, I don't have that problem. This seems really thick and heavy, but once I smooth it out on my skin, I don't even notice it's there. I've only used it for about a half a week, but I hope this continues to work for me!

on 9/26/2017 8:13:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I was surprised by this primer. I have found that most primers don't work and seem to be a "quick fix" for not using proper skincare. I got to the point where I rarely bothered with a primer. A friend actually gave me this one because she didn't like it, so I tried it.I have oily skin which causes many foundations to either break up over the course of the day or sit in my pores. This remedies that. Note that this is a very heavy feeling primer. I use as little as possible, usually one pump, and make sure that this is rubbed into my skin. It does feel very heavy on the skin, and that I don't like, which I why I use a small amount. This is a very silicone-heavy primer, and you can definitely tell by the consistency.. For me, any foundation applied over this wears like iron. I tried it with a foundation I had given up on wearing-Pro Longwear Waterproof by MAC as this would end up sitting in my pores a few minutes after I had applied it. No more! I would imagine this primer is also good for those with texture on the skin because it creates a very smooth surface. I would definitely purchase this again!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I really like this because it doesn't dry my skin out. In the past I had the unfortunate surprise to try other primers that would mattify my face, even though that was not on the description label. This primer is very well tolerated by my skin (must be the oils in it). It fills the pores but it doesn't cause any breakouts and the end result is matte but not too much.

It's silicone based so it works very well with silicone based foundations (not water or oil). Pretty simple stuff really.
Overall, I'm glad I bought this.