Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer

Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer
Optical Illusion Complexion Primer

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate Benzoate, Glycerin, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Limnanthes Alba Seed Oil / Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Dimethiconol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Water, Hydroxyapatite, Sodium Olivoyl Glutamate, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin. [ /- (May Contain): Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491 / Iron Oxides].From; Sephora website, 12/26/17

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a thick primer and a little is required otherwise it starts to pill on the skin. I personally like the color and it does not have a smell. It is also good for my sensitive skin, but I am conflicted by this primer.

I really want to love this primer, but It is does not have consistent behavior. I use the same moisturizer everyday and then apply this primer. Somedays, it looks great under my foundation and pores are blurred and other days not so much. At first I thought it was the application. For me using my fingers and pressing it into my cheeks where I am enlarged pores, does not work for me. There is no difference in the performance. Using a wet sponge does a better job and my pores appear smaller but by the end of the day, my pores look huge again. I did find the best application is a brush. The brush for me is the best application and within a minute of application, my pores are very blurred. Foundation goes on top beautifully.

Is this my holy grail primer. For now, it might be, but I am still on the hunt for a better primer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I truly wanted to love this primer especially because of all the great reviews. I wouldn't say it was the worst primer I've ever used however the white cast it leaves on the areas you apply is not so great. Also the texture is weird so its hard to apply, spread or press. The main reason I returned it was due to it's heaviness. It felt so heavy underneath my tinted moisturizer/foundation. I don't want heavy I want light and fun.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

To begin, I truly think this is a neat product. The rating I gave has more to do with how the product worked in me, not the formula itself. The formula of this product is exquisite. It definitely blurs and serves as a great backdrop for makeup. However it also makes the makeup glide off quick and it has a "whitening" effect on my skin. It alters my coloring, and because of that it alters how well the colors I use (foundation, blush and the like) look as well (I am medium dark/dark tan). It makes for that horrible "face too light compared to the rest of the body" effect. If left on for too long it also causes whiteheads on my skin. It is a thick, peachy beige liquid with a cloudy putty feel. It is easy to apply and practically disappears before your eyes. I find this a primer better suited for dry-ish skin types, those prone to large pores and baby hairs, and an extra benefit perhaps I think if you are medium and fair. This will work splendid on those pigments because it imputs a creamy, milky effect. Think of Elle Fanning, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, and Rosamund Pike level creaminess. On me I find it just too heavy and the soft focus effect not a look that suits my face. I've discovered a softly dewy look is much better suited to my face. The packaging is best described as elegantly practical. It cones out easy from the pump with no mess. And the chrome detail is chic. All in all, this is a very neat product that I highly recommend; It promises and it delivers. If you are prone to acne or are oily, I would advise to skip as it is too rich. I Bravo Urban Decay!!

on 6/3/2018 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

NOT for super oily skin! This just made my makeup slide off much sooner than usual. It’s thick and dry to the first touch, but it’s just a lot of silicones that do nothing for me. I prefer Julep Mattifying and Fenty Pro Filt’r.

on 5/28/2018 1:08:00 PM

This primer does what it claims, my only complaint is how thick it is. The thickness really makes it difficult for me to spread and I am never sure if I am using enough or too much. I am used to using Hourglass or Smashbox primer which is thin and really easy to spread. With that being said, if I ran out I would probably purchase again because I love the way it makes my skin look and it does not break me out. Oh, and it’s definitely cheaper in comparison to Hourglass.

I've been searching for a good pore minimizing primer since the beginning of time (and trust me, I've tried them all, including Smashbox, Hourglass, Estee Lauder, POREfessional, Mac Prep+Prime, etc.). The packaging, name, and rave reviews convinced me to purchase this. I have BIG pores on my nose and get a little oily in my T-zone throughout the day. Otherwise, my skin is pretty good. This product minimized the look of my pores, but only for about 1 hour. As the day went by, my pores were visible again (even more so than before). This is definitely not as good as Smashbox so in the return bin it goes.

In summary, I really wanted to love this primer but I don't (it's not terrible..but it's certainly not the best). I just tested this product on half of my face compared to Dr. Brandt's Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer on the other half.

Dr. Brandt does a better job at hiding my pores; whereas the UD primer accentuates some of them. Dr. Brandt is the best primer I've tried so far.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

All primers claim to fill in your pores, it seems. This is the *only* primer that has ever really done that. It's gold in a pump, seriously. It is silicone, but it's not like the smashbox liquidy clear primer - it's thick and a little goes a long way, and doesn't leave you feeling greasy or slippery. It really blurs, it really, actually works. They sell a small size for $15 online exclusive sephora and that little tiny bottle will last you ALL year.

If anyone knows of a drugstore dupe for this, please let me know!

on 4/26/2018 7:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Fine

This primer brightens and smooths my skin and really keeps foundation from settling into facial lines. It is just what I've been looking for!

I got 3 of these as samples off UD dot com orders & I love this. I don’t know how much it costs I’m sure plenty but it really helps my fdtn game. I would put “maybe” on rebuy depending on its price. It sure does work on my crater face crater pores it really made my fdtn “stick” only had to blot once this entire day ehhh that’s awesome better than Benefit porefessional! I want to get UD fdtn too when I get paid! I have my HG loose powders (chanel, physicians formula & laura mercier) I would say this is the best primer I’ve tried on the market. I’ll find a way to buy it lol if I have to eat ramen for the next 3 weeks lol it keeps your fdtn in place if you are v. oily & have big pores it fills them in/“blurs” them & controls oil. Doesn’t break me out & I am break out prone! Pump packaging is nice but you can’t get the v. last bits out. It’s sanitary but it’s wasted a little. #winning Grade: A-

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

This is my HG primer. I've tried a few: Smashbox, Becca, NYX and have had samples of the Hourglass, Tarte (in the pot) and the new Tatcha ($52). This Optical illusion is the one that smoothes my skin the most and makes my foundation lasts. Of all the others the one that seem comparable was the Tatcha but has a hefty price tag. The one thing I don't like much about it is that once it sets, it leaves a light white cast that I'm sure it can give flashback when taking pictures.