Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.3

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Using this as a serum didn't do anything for me, not for pores and not for oiliness. However, when using on the odd blemish, it does help to flatten and calm down, however if you dab too much it will be visible as a white smudge once dried, which you can get away with overnight, but during the day - not so much! Previously I was using Paula's Choice Glycolic 10% but this was too harsh for bumps behind the ears/back of neck, it would irritate them more, unlike The Ordinary Niacinamide + Zinc which is gentle enough for sensitive areas. For this alone I would re-purchase.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

THIS IS THE WORST PRODUCT I HAVE EVER PUT ON MY FACE. (No, I'm not exaggerating)
Bought this along with salicylic acid according to one of the skincare regimen from The Ordinary website. I only put 8 drops on the course of 2 days on my face and then suddenly my face is filled with a lot of tiny itchy white bumps (YES, THE WHOLE FACE). I immediately stop using the products and treat my face with some bentonite clay followed with pure squalane oil. The day after, I found a micellar water that once caused the exact same reaction. Turned out it has niacinamide in it as well (I only used it once). So, the problem is niacinamide for me. I actually asked around to some friend who had used The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% a person said that it didn't cause any reaction but didn't do anything to her skin as well. So, I compared my skin to hers and do a bit of research. Turned out I have fungal acne and she doesn't. So, my assumption now is maybe it reacted horribly due to my fungal acne (Just an assumption).

on 6/24/2018 6:18:00 AM

Although the product has some drawbacks, I still think that it is better than the rating here.
First of all if you have a normal to dry skin: walk away. zinc inside will soak up all your moisture and oil you have limited.
Also this product is not for under makeup. This can be a drawback but honestly I do not find it safe to use photosensitive products during the daytime, even under my spf.
I love this especially during my pms time. I am getting that extra oily face and chin area starts to be red and swollen. Using at nights during those days, calms my face and chin area down. Although using 2% salicylic acid gels would work similar on my chin, I do not like the peeling of my skin, which happens each time with those strong gels. I find this product more gentle in that sense.
About the brightening effect: I cannot say anything specific because firstly I do not use it daily, and secondly I use other products in my routine to reduce dark spots.
Packaging is simple and hygienic, enough product for a year.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I think their products are pretty overhyped but I think people love their products because of their affordability.I didnt like this product at all every time I would put it on my skin overnight I would get big splotchy flat pus filled bumps on my face that were kinda painful.Once I stopped using it they would go away.I was gonna give it to a friend but I’m scared it might break her out so I’m gonna have to dump it.I realllllyy wanted it to work.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of those super confusing products that on first application has the potential to be deemed useless. You know what I mean? With more sensory products such as oils, masks or rich creams some basic part of you goes "ooh that feels like its doing something". Where as this Hyaluronic Acid serum, which is pretty much scentless and has a gloopy transparent appearance when dropped out of its pipette, immediately sinks in to your skin and your skin just feels, well, normal. Being that it's a water based product it completely absorbs and dries to leave your skin feeling as naked and fresh as it does straight after cleansing. But do not be fooled. It's packed with clever science and is a real hero product.

on 6/4/2018 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I so wanted to like this! But it breaks me out every time. I get huge cysts and red pimples with white heads all over my face.
So far it is the only The Ordinary product I don't like

on 5/24/2018 7:49:00 AM

I started using this for anti-aging purposes. It does make my skin a little bit brighter and I'd say it's kinda hydrating too, although it leaves a sticky residue on your face. Definitely don't try to layer other products on this, it piles up very badly. Overall a good product, I will repurchase:)

on 5/23/2018 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have super oily face all over the face, especially on my nose and jaw. I also have acne-prone skin, I always have pimple on my jawline and lately, on hairline. I came across The Ordinary for the first time when I was browsing skincare online shop in my country. At that time I actually wanted to buy La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (+) SPF, but because of the budget and curiosity, I bought this Niacinamide 10%+Zinc 1% first. I heard many amazing reviews how this product, especially when combined with either Salicylic Acid 2% nor Alpha Arbutin +HA, did wonder to acne and oily skin.
The Ordinary and its parent company, Deciem, are rather unheard brands here.
At first I was lost because unlike regular brands, The Ordinary doesn't really mention its product function on its name. They just stated the active ingredients and I have to dive each product page to get the information. According to some reviews, it's actually one of their characteristics and fortes, they doesn't sell many promises but just state how those ingredients are supposed to help my skin. Lately I tried some of Korean skincare but I just don't get the hype, especially the promise of "one product for all your skin problem" so this The Ordinary trait hooked me up.
Back to Niacinamide, I use it twice, on night I apply it after cleansing my face and before The Body Shop Tea Tree Night Mask. I've used it this way for about three weeks and I don't have any problem yet. I also apply it on morning before moisturizer because I hope it would help reducing oil. Well, honestly it really does a great job at reducing oil because about six hours later, if I touched my face (unintentionally), it doesn't feel slick and disgustingly oily. Just slightly oily. Well, my nose is still oily but I'm pretty satisfied. The problem is, this product cause balling. I didn't notice it when I applied moisturizer (I used Revlon Soothing Lotion + a drop of The Body Shop Tea Tree oil to help my acne before, now I use La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo), but when I applied primer (I used Revlon Perfecting Primer 001), there are some balling. It made my foundation streaky! Fortunately, after I change into dabbing instead of rubbing, the balling has lessened. Well, now I use Effaclar Duo as daily moisturizer, it seems a bit too drying when I combined it with Niacinamide so I might use it on night time only.
I haven't notice any change on my skin, but I never use any serum before and my acne scars are kind of old scars so I think they really need time to heal. But I'm glad it doesn't irritate my skin, or causing breakouts. Some people argued that this Niacinamide helps with preventing or treating acne, but since the official website itself doesn't recommend it for acne treatment, I don't complain. Although I must admit, it looks like I have less pimple now.
I will definitely repurchase and in fact, I have recommended it to my friend already!

on 5/13/2018 5:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I'm a little torn on this product. I found that it helped moisturize my skin without being too heavy and that it did help a bit with my oiliness. I think it helped fade new blemishes faster but I don't feel that it did anything for existing hyperpigmentation, which was the main reason I purchased the product. It also had not discernable effect on my pores. I did feel my skin had more clarity but I don't quite no if it is a cumulative effect of my total skin care regimen or if this serum had something to do with it. I may repurchase later and try it again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I apply a tiny drop of this to cover my entire face and it helps keep me matte throughout the day. It helps soothe active pimples but I don't believe it does anything to prevent them. This is a great serum. I rotate this with their salicylic acid at night. Will keep buying.

Update: Lately I've been using this in combination with The Ordinary's glycolic acid toner at night and it actually helps soothe and reduce my monthly acne flare ups. I highly recommend this gem :)