Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.8

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I depend on this serum to keep my skin clear. As a hormonal acne sufferer, I discovered a while back that niacinamide is kind of a wonder drug for me, especially because my skin has developed a sensitivity to acids. Zinc is also awesome for calming irritation, which I get a lot of, so it's actually a great combo. I use this product every morning under rosehip oil and moisturizer. It helps with inflammation, redness, and acne, all of which are major issues for me.
Honestly what makes this product my go to is in part the price, but also the fact that it's silicone and oil free, so everything I put on top of it has a chance to work, too. The formula is really, really basic, so it plays well with a variety of textures -- just don't mix with vitamin C! All in all, I highly recommend this, and if you're still not convinced, for the price it's a worthy gamble.

on 3/11/2018 2:56:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I already knew niacinamide worked well for me so I won't touch on that aspect much (helps redness, smaller pores). I was using the Paula's Choice booster. In comparison, this is much stickier and thicker. I thought I wouldn't like the consistency but it sinks in quickly and I put makeup on over it fine in the mornings. I use this morning and night and I use it closest to my skin in my routine. I swipe the dropped across my forehead, each cheek, nose, and chin. I also appreciate the added zinc so I don't have to get that from another product.

I really wanted to like this product, but there's something about it that doesn't agree with my face. It causes some redness and irritation, enough to cause additional breakouts. My thought is it's the niacinamide, since I also have issues with Cerave PM.

on 1/24/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this as a scalp treatment and a possible alternative to my current 5% niacinamide serum (Stratia Rewind), but where this really shines is as a spot treatment for active acne. I tried putting on my whole face one evening and it really dried out my skin but I did notice the the acne I had shrank quite a bit. Since then, I've stuck the Rewind for all over my face, and only use this a aspot treatment. I've even used it to calm acne on my back.

I also use it to calm my scalp that gets itchy from seborrhic dermatitis in conjunction with anti-dandruff shampoo and Hada Labo Lotion to moisturize. After a shower I rub in some Hado Labo followed with 1-2 droppers of this serum. It seems to help calm the itch and niacinamide is supposedly good for scalp health.

I know other people say this is sticky but I haven't noticed it, its not as slick as my Stratia serum but glides just fine.

on 1/22/2018 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is ok for the price. However, I'm not 100% sold on the efficacy of the formula. It doesn't seem well formulated at all, not that I expected much for under $6. It feels quite sticky and tacky on my skin despite only using one or two drops. Anything I layer over it doesn't absorb into my skin and remains sticky as well. I found that over time it dried out my skin which made it more oily (my skin is oily/reactive and prone to dehydration, clogged pores, and acne). A plus is that it didn't cause any breakouts. I'll continue to use and update after I've used the entire bottle.

on 1/4/2018 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have been using this for about two months now and I absolutely love it! I have dehydrated, clog-prone skin with an uneven skintone which I treat with retin-a since 1 1/2 years (i LOVE retin-a I am 35 years old and I have less fine lines than I had when I was 27 because of the retin-a). Since I do sometimes still get redness and peeling from the actives I use, I was looking for something to strengthen my skin and my derm recommended niacinamide to me. I started using olay moisturizers with spf in the mornings and I noticed that my skin did heal a lot quicker and was a lot more even toned. I wanted to up my dose of niacinamide so I decided to buy Paulas Choice Niacinamide Booster which I didn't like at all. it dried out my skin, even when mixed together with my olay moisturizer. I have waited a long time to finally try the ordinary`s niacinamide since I was scared that too much niacinamide just isn't for my skin. I was wrong. I LOVE this little affordable serum. it really evens out my skin so much, it kind of makes it look almost airbrushed. I use it on bare skin in the mornings under my moisturizer. I do wait for about 5 minutes before I apply my moisturizer, this way it won´t ball up at all! I also apply it under the ordinary`s squalane at night when I don't use my retin-a and I wake up to creamy, even-toned skin. I also feel that it helps with collagen since I also apply it underneath my eyes and I can't see any lines at all! I will definitely repurchase, I really enjoy this one! no clogging from this either! OH AND my skin is dehydrated but it still gets oily during the day. the oiliness is so much better with this product, it looks nice and glowy, not shiny anymore! I recommend to try to anyone with my skintype and/or age!

Update: I have been to my old work place yesterday and went to their restroom where they have a mirror which has HORRIBLE lighting, I HATED looking in there since my uneven skin texture would almost throw shadows lol (I once looked at my butt in it and i was traumatized for weeks and signed myself up in 2 fitness studios.. so... off topic but girls and guys, lighting matters SOO much when looking at yourself in the mirror so don't be too hard on yourself you probably look 100 x better in real life :) ) ANYWAYS when I washed my hands I did a double take! My face looked so so so much better than what it used to in this darn mirror! 70 percent more even textured and I dare to say 85 percent more even colored and I was only wearing a little concealer and powder and I used to wear a lot of foundation! please try this product, it is so inexpensive and if it works, it works WONDERS!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was so excited for this product because I value products that are natural and effective, not too many chemicals. Well, let me tell you...this did not work how I expected. I used this for some time, trying clear up and brighten my face, I don't have heavy acne or anything just an occasional breakout here and there. But I literally got the worst reaction from this, my skin was painful, dry (i do moisturise everyday so that wasnt it), red, sore, there were little red bumps that looked like chemical burns on my hose and cheeks (i never ever break out on my nose or cheeks), it was not nice. I had to stop this immediately and it took a few days for my skin to get back to its normal state after stopping this and the second I stopped with this product my skin came back to its natural/good state.

Maybe it works for some but if you have dry, sensitive skin, I would be cautious when using this. Test it out first on a small area for a week.

on 10/29/2017 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Could not use it long enough to see if it delivers long term benefits for my skin. It broke me out after trying it on the first time.
A waste of money. Well- at least not a lot of money.

on 10/6/2017 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love this product! I bought it because it claimed to help minimize pores, and my pores do look smaller. Is it because of this, or other changes I've made in my routine? I don't know. Am I going to stop using this to find out for sure? Nope!

The price is cheap, the bottle lasts a LONG time and the texture is smooth and silky, and it doesn't irritate my skin.

on 5/25/2017 4:25:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am on my 2nd bottle of this, and I use it every 2nd day, sometimes daily depending on when I use vitamin c. At night, I use it with the Azelaic serum and then pat some argan oil across my face and neck.

I have pretty clear skin these days aside from monthly and hormonal spurts of acne. Im 39, but my 30s has been fraught with hormonal acne and angry skin, probably in relation to inflammation and hormonal ssues related to endometriosis.

I do have some hyperpigmentation and melasma under my eyes. I have to say, this serum has made a difference in my pigmentation issues. I don't think I'll ever get rid of my melasma completely, but this serum has helped a little when used with the Azelaic. I also have noticed a big reduction in hormonal and other acne overall and barely use foundation. A touch of concealer and a bit of pressed powder is all I really need to use these days.

The serum comes in a frosty 30 ml bottle with a dropper, it dries down nicely and helps with my oily parts. I definitely moisturize after using, either with Sensibio Rolerance + and then sunscreen, or with argan oil at night. I use about 3 drops, and using twice daily, I'd use a bottle a month. The way I'm using it, a bottle lasts me 2. I am on my 2nd bottle and have a 3rd for backup.
I love most of the things I've tried from this brand, aside from the natural moisturizing factors, but I think the fatty alcohols were what made my skin cranky. The cost is right, and as someone with reactive skin and cosmetic sensitivity to so many ingredients, I love being able to use something I can layer, that has minimal ingredients and no added fragrance.