Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.8

This product actually works.
I put it in the morning & night. I noticed that my face is alot fairer and brighter every morning after using it religiously for about 1 week? However the effect stops after you stop using it. I also noticed that my blemishes have faded abit.
As the price is quite affordable, i would recommend it. If it doesn't work then you won't be too sad about the waste of money hahaa.

So i how i use it is: Toner > Hydrating Essence> Ninacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% > Moisturizer > Sunblock.
However i notice abit of ' wet flakes ' , i don't really know how to describe it but it's like when you do a scrub, you get those clump of dead skin ?? Just abit of it after applying my moisturizer. Not really a big deal for me as it's quite a good product to me.

I may or may not repurchase as i want to try other similar product, maybe in the future i will repurchase as i really quite like this product.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I want to start by saying that I have never reviewed a skincare product before. I have always been a lurker, but the time has come for me to give back to the community :)

My skin type is normal, and I don't really get that many spots besides the monthly harbinger of Aunt Flo. But as my darker-skinned sisters will know, these spots leave black scars that take months, sometimes years, to fade.

Previously I have used Murad (eek! not good for my bank account) and lemon juice (it worked okay but I stopped using it after I learnt how damaging it was for my skin). They made a little bit of difference. I really, really wanted to find something that would banish my black PIH once and for all because I hate being this insecure about my skin and reliant on expensive makeup made by unethical companies. So I gave the Ordinary's pigmentation regime a try, exactly as recommended on the website. I have been religiously using these little potions for the past four months or so. Besides Niacinamide, these are MAP, Azelaic Acid and Alpha Arbutin. I have been using them together so this review is for the combination.

You can see a before and after pic on my profile, taken three months apart. The proof is in the pudding as they say! I am so happy to have found this brand. I never used to leave the house without heavy coverage foundation and concealer even to buy groceries...and now I do!

My full routine:
AM
Wash face with Kobi San soap (also a HG for me now with lightening properties)
Apply Alpha Arbutin, Niacinamide, MAP, mineral AND chemical sunscreen, makeup

PM
Double cleanse - massage almond oil to dislodge makeup, remove with tissue
Then wash with Kobi San soap
Alpha Arbutin, Azelaic Acid

NB You absolutely MUST use sunscreen at all times, even if you're just lounging about in the house as these products WILL make your skin extra sensitive to the sun and if you don't protect adequately, the pigmentation will get even darker. I use two different ones together, one with physical UV filters and a chemical one. Physical sunscreen does not need to be reapplied but can easily be rubbed off, and chemical sunscreen needs to be reapplied every two hours but doesn't rub off. So I combine them together.

Also, I did get a few large painful cystic acne about a month or so after I began using the Ordinary but they stopped, and imo it was a small price to pay for literally having my face transformed.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Using this as a serum didn't do anything for me, not for pores and not for oiliness. However, when using on the odd blemish, it does help to flatten and calm down, however if you dab too much it will be visible as a white smudge once dried, which you can get away with overnight, but during the day - not so much! Previously I was using Paula's Choice Glycolic 10% but this was too harsh for bumps behind the ears/back of neck, it would irritate them more, unlike The Ordinary Niacinamide + Zinc which is gentle enough for sensitive areas. For this alone I would re-purchase.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

THIS IS THE WORST PRODUCT I HAVE EVER PUT ON MY FACE. (No, I'm not exaggerating)
Bought this along with salicylic acid according to one of the skincare regimen from The Ordinary website. I only put 8 drops on the course of 2 days on my face and then suddenly my face is filled with a lot of tiny itchy white bumps (YES, THE WHOLE FACE). I immediately stop using the products and treat my face with some bentonite clay followed with pure squalane oil. The day after, I found a micellar water that once caused the exact same reaction. Turned out it has niacinamide in it as well (I only used it once). So, the problem is niacinamide for me. I actually asked around to some friend who had used The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% a person said that it didn't cause any reaction but didn't do anything to her skin as well. So, I compared my skin to hers and do a bit of research. Turned out I have fungal acne and she doesn't. So, my assumption now is maybe it reacted horribly due to my fungal acne (Just an assumption).

on 6/24/2018 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have tried many products from the Ordinary (and continue using quite a few of them), but if I had to choose only one to continue using for the rest of my life, that would definitely be their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. I am on my third bottle now and today I bought another two as a backup.
I had very oily skin when I started using Niacinamide regularly. Right now I describe my skin as combination, but it's actually quite normal on some days. My T-zone is never VERY oily anymore. And I do believe that this serum from the Ordinary helped a lot with my skin's sebum production. As a result, my pores around the nose and chin look visibly smaller.
I usually use this product once a day, in the morning, as the first thing that goes on my skin after washing it. Other serums, SPF, and moisturizer go on top of it. Niacinamide does not effect the application of other products or my makeup at all. It is, however, important to remember to not use it together with Vitamin C products.
On the days when my skin tends to be more problematic, breaks out or suddenly produces more oil (usually around my period), I use this product twice a day. My breakout is ALWAYS visibly diminished in the morning if I used Niacinamide the evening before. I would really like to continue using it twice a day every day, but I'm a little worried that my skin might get used to it too much and the product will become less effective. So far my skin has been loving it! I highly recommend trying it for anyone who has oily skin, enlarged pores, and/or suffers from hormonal breakouts.

on 6/24/2018 6:18:00 AM

Although the product has some drawbacks, I still think that it is better than the rating here.
First of all if you have a normal to dry skin: walk away. zinc inside will soak up all your moisture and oil you have limited.
Also this product is not for under makeup. This can be a drawback but honestly I do not find it safe to use photosensitive products during the daytime, even under my spf.
I love this especially during my pms time. I am getting that extra oily face and chin area starts to be red and swollen. Using at nights during those days, calms my face and chin area down. Although using 2% salicylic acid gels would work similar on my chin, I do not like the peeling of my skin, which happens each time with those strong gels. I find this product more gentle in that sense.
About the brightening effect: I cannot say anything specific because firstly I do not use it daily, and secondly I use other products in my routine to reduce dark spots.
Packaging is simple and hygienic, enough product for a year.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I think their products are pretty overhyped but I think people love their products because of their affordability.I didnt like this product at all every time I would put it on my skin overnight I would get big splotchy flat pus filled bumps on my face that were kinda painful.Once I stopped using it they would go away.I was gonna give it to a friend but I’m scared it might break her out so I’m gonna have to dump it.I realllllyy wanted it to work.

I have an oily, red & stubborn skin. Not much products works well on me. But this product works so well on my skin. It reduces the redness & smoothen out my skin texture. I fell so hard for this product & will definitely re purchase!

on 6/4/2018 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I so wanted to like this! But it breaks me out every time. I get huge cysts and red pimples with white heads all over my face.
So far it is the only The Ordinary product I don't like

on 5/26/2018 8:37:00 PM

I really love this product BUT when it comes to The Ordinary, nothing is a one-size-fits-all kind of product. I have combination skin, t-zone is oily with visible pores and pre-menstrual acne flares, outer parts of face get a little dry and I am prone to seborrhoeic dermatitis and flaking around my nose, mouth and chin. Yes I know, sounds beautiful LOL

Anyway, as I have issues with oiliness and excess sebum production, pre-menstrual inflammatory acne lesions, and when SD appears in the summer there are hyperpigmentation issues to boot. Niacinamide, also called nicotinamide, is a variant of vitamin B3, niacin (or nicotinic acid). Applied topically in concentrations of 4% daily for 4 weeks, studies in Japanese women found consistently reduced rates of sebum production, decreased number of inflammatory acne lesions, and improvement in pigmentation issues. It's great stuff, and has certainly helped my skin look less oily and blotchy while reducing both the number of spots and the length of time they stay red and angry on my face. Best of all, it's quite cheap - I like TO's one since it's £5 for 30mls at 10% strength, whereas the Freederm gel is £5 for 10g of 4% strength. But still, it won't break the bank if you were to buy that one instead. I use this one just because I get the most for cheapest, and I like the little pipette design so I can mix a few drops into my moisturiser. I'm not convinced the addition of zinc does much but it is known to have antibacterial properties so maybe it is some help, who knows.

Most people will tolerate niacinamide well, but some people are sensitive to the niacin/nicotinic acid forms and this can cause flushing and irritation on the skin of some people. Niacinamide can be partially converted into niacin on the skin if it comes into contact with acids, like vitamin C treatments - or even naturally occurring ones in the skin's acid mantle. It's only a tiny amount but for people sensitive to it, it can cause the unpleasant symptoms noted above, and is why niacinamide doesn't agree with everyone.

So yes, some people will want to give niacinamide a miss. At least it is fairly cheap so you won't be left too out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you. Worth trying if you have issues with oily skin, inflammatory acne, or pigmentation issues and want to see if it helps!