Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/20/2018 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I had high hopes for this product. The price point was amazing for a cult skincare line and it contains two actives generally recommended for my kind of rosacea prone skin. If you scroll on Google you will see pages of good reviews.so it seemed like a good bet. What could go wrong?

Well, an IMMEDIATE flare up, that's what. As soon as I applied the product, it stung. My cheeks, which hadn't flared for months, suddenly went red and my whole face prickled, particularly at the corners of my nose and somehow (though I'd been careful to avoid them) my eyes, too. A genuine inflammation response to a seemingly safe product with well researched actives. How?

I'm honestly perplexed. I've never reacted like this to anything except some kind of fruit acid or vitamin C in the days before I got to grips with my skin type. Certainly never to niacinimide or zinc. I feel there is something wrong in the formulation which makes it unsuitable for my skin and, frankly, I distrust the line as a whole now.

Unfortunately, this will end up in my skincare graveyard along with the other product I bought (like another reviewer, I'm reluctant to use it either even though it's apparently plain old HA with 'natural moisturising factors'). I'm going back to my pricier, safer serum, Synergie Vitamin B, that I know works for me and won't irritate my skin or cause a reaction.

I would strongly suggest people with sensitive rosacea or acne use caution with this one.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I use this as a spot treatment. I tried using on my t-zone where open pores are the worst and also on some marks on cheeks as Niacinimide is supposed to be good for that kind of thing i.e pigmentation but didn't do anything for that, in fact started getting new spots and can only put it down to this product as wasn't using anything else at the time. Luckily not exp at all so hardly wasted any hard earned money here. But good that I can use on the odd spot every now and again as it calms them down almost overnight. For that alone I would re-purchase.

on 5/13/2018 6:30:00 AM

I observe a tiny drop of this to cover my whole face and it helps keep me matte during the day. It helps soothe active zits but I do not agree with it does whatever to prevent them. That is a great serum. I rotate this with their salicylic acid at night. Will preserve shopping for.

I feel that I've given this a fair shot. It's a good value if you can't afford something better. But it's not as good as Paula's Choice niacinamide booster. Hers costs more, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

on 12/5/2017 8:18:00 AM

I use this daily with TO's Alpha Arbutin and MAP. It was originally considered as part of a hyperpigmentation routine but I find it amazing at controlling oiliness and shine. I've been using it now for around 8-9 months and the difference at the end of the day is quite significant and just keeps improving with time. In conjunction with the AA the hyperpigmentation is also fading. I don't get any breakout or reaction, I don't notice any real smell, and I'm happy with how it feels on my skin (unmemorable, just absorbs really). I go through it fairly quickly, around a bottle a month-6 weeks, but I use everything all the way from my hairline to my cleavage (or what passes for it) so I do tend to use more. Really happy with it, part of my routine and will continue to use it.

I have the new formulation of this with the carageenan and hydrogenated castor oil removed. This is a thin serum that absorbs quickly. It was very drying on my combo-dry skin and i felt like i had pilling issues with it, my moisturizer would not apply well on top. It also broke me out

The Ordinary is a cheap line from Deciem whose main focus is ingredients but i realized after trying a bunch of products from The Ordinary that i do indeed need and want a more elegant formula and texture. Ingredients are great but useless if the formulation is unpleasant or does not ultimately work, and i would pay more for better products.

Ingredients