Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.9

i am very fair with redness in my cheeks and chin that even most foundations dont cover, as well as some enlarged pores on the left side of my nose. after using this for a bit over a month i can see a big change in the redness i was having and well as the fact that my pores are less noticable! my only caution is that if you are laying over this serum you must PAT and not rub, or it will pill. I am happy i no longer feel the need to wear liquid foundations to cover my cheeks! a powder works just fine for me now, when i feel like it ;)

on 6/26/2018 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I've never reacted to a product this way, I think I must be allergic. The product gave me tiny bumps all over the face, it was pretty scary. They didn't show up on the first use, only on the second and fortunately they went away after a couple of days. I'm giving it two out of five simply because I don't know if it's a simple allergic reaction or if there's some bad ingredient in there that could be switched up to something else less irritating. Then again I do believe this could work for some people, it's also highly inexpensive and I do like The Ordinary as a brand.

on 6/24/2018 6:18:00 AM

Although the product has some drawbacks, I still think that it is better than the rating here.
First of all if you have a normal to dry skin: walk away. zinc inside will soak up all your moisture and oil you have limited.
Also this product is not for under makeup. This can be a drawback but honestly I do not find it safe to use photosensitive products during the daytime, even under my spf.
I love this especially during my pms time. I am getting that extra oily face and chin area starts to be red and swollen. Using at nights during those days, calms my face and chin area down. Although using 2% salicylic acid gels would work similar on my chin, I do not like the peeling of my skin, which happens each time with those strong gels. I find this product more gentle in that sense.
About the brightening effect: I cannot say anything specific because firstly I do not use it daily, and secondly I use other products in my routine to reduce dark spots.
Packaging is simple and hygienic, enough product for a year.

I'm on my second bottle so I think I can review the Niacinamide and give a true response. I use it on the nights that I don't use my retin-a, so that is every other night. I have noticed that my pores are smaller, my hooded eyelids aren't drooping as much and my skin seems a bit tighter. I follow it with The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2%*B5. I've been using Retin-a for a long time so I can't say that this is all from the Niacinamide but for the price I'll keep using it.

on 5/29/2018 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Can be drying if you go overboard, but definitely clears up congested, clogged skin after a couple days of use. I use it once per day when I feel my skin needs to be purified. I will cleanse, use my chemical exfoliant (wait 15 min), then hyaluronic acid, then this (wait for it to sink in) and then moisturizer or an oil.

on 5/26/2018 8:37:00 PM

I really love this product BUT when it comes to The Ordinary, nothing is a one-size-fits-all kind of product. I have combination skin, t-zone is oily with visible pores and pre-menstrual acne flares, outer parts of face get a little dry and I am prone to seborrhoeic dermatitis and flaking around my nose, mouth and chin. Yes I know, sounds beautiful LOL

Anyway, as I have issues with oiliness and excess sebum production, pre-menstrual inflammatory acne lesions, and when SD appears in the summer there are hyperpigmentation issues to boot. Niacinamide, also called nicotinamide, is a variant of vitamin B3, niacin (or nicotinic acid). Applied topically in concentrations of 4% daily for 4 weeks, studies in Japanese women found consistently reduced rates of sebum production, decreased number of inflammatory acne lesions, and improvement in pigmentation issues. It's great stuff, and has certainly helped my skin look less oily and blotchy while reducing both the number of spots and the length of time they stay red and angry on my face. Best of all, it's quite cheap - I like TO's one since it's £5 for 30mls at 10% strength, whereas the Freederm gel is £5 for 10g of 4% strength. But still, it won't break the bank if you were to buy that one instead. I use this one just because I get the most for cheapest, and I like the little pipette design so I can mix a few drops into my moisturiser. I'm not convinced the addition of zinc does much but it is known to have antibacterial properties so maybe it is some help, who knows.

Most people will tolerate niacinamide well, but some people are sensitive to the niacin/nicotinic acid forms and this can cause flushing and irritation on the skin of some people. Niacinamide can be partially converted into niacin on the skin if it comes into contact with acids, like vitamin C treatments - or even naturally occurring ones in the skin's acid mantle. It's only a tiny amount but for people sensitive to it, it can cause the unpleasant symptoms noted above, and is why niacinamide doesn't agree with everyone.

So yes, some people will want to give niacinamide a miss. At least it is fairly cheap so you won't be left too out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you. Worth trying if you have issues with oily skin, inflammatory acne, or pigmentation issues and want to see if it helps!

on 5/24/2018 7:49:00 AM

I started using this for anti-aging purposes. It does make my skin a little bit brighter and I'd say it's kinda hydrating too, although it leaves a sticky residue on your face. Definitely don't try to layer other products on this, it piles up very badly. Overall a good product, I will repurchase:)

on 3/26/2018 3:55:00 AM

I really wanted to like this product, but it gave me horrible cystic acne.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I depend on this serum to keep my skin clear. As a hormonal acne sufferer, I discovered a while back that niacinamide is kind of a wonder drug for me, especially because my skin has developed a sensitivity to acids. Zinc is also awesome for calming irritation, which I get a lot of, so it's actually a great combo. I use this product every morning under rosehip oil and moisturizer. It helps with inflammation, redness, and acne, all of which are major issues for me.
Honestly what makes this product my go to is in part the price, but also the fact that it's silicone and oil free, so everything I put on top of it has a chance to work, too. The formula is really, really basic, so it plays well with a variety of textures -- just don't mix with vitamin C! All in all, I highly recommend this, and if you're still not convinced, for the price it's a worthy gamble.

on 3/11/2018 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I already knew niacinamide worked well for me so I won't touch on that aspect much (helps redness, smaller pores). I was using the Paula's Choice booster. In comparison, this is much stickier and thicker. I thought I wouldn't like the consistency but it sinks in quickly and I put makeup on over it fine in the mornings. I use this morning and night and I use it closest to my skin in my routine. I swipe the dropped across my forehead, each cheek, nose, and chin. I also appreciate the added zinc so I don't have to get that from another product.