Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.6

on 8/20/2018 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I had high hopes for this product. The price point was amazing for a cult skincare line and it contains two actives generally recommended for my kind of rosacea prone skin. If you scroll on Google you will see pages of good reviews.so it seemed like a good bet. What could go wrong?

Well, an IMMEDIATE flare up, that's what. As soon as I applied the product, it stung. My cheeks, which hadn't flared for months, suddenly went red and my whole face prickled, particularly at the corners of my nose and somehow (though I'd been careful to avoid them) my eyes, too. A genuine inflammation response to a seemingly safe product with well researched actives. How?

I'm honestly perplexed. I've never reacted like this to anything except some kind of fruit acid or vitamin C in the days before I got to grips with my skin type. Certainly never to niacinimide or zinc. I feel there is something wrong in the formulation which makes it unsuitable for my skin and, frankly, I distrust the line as a whole now.

Unfortunately, this will end up in my skincare graveyard along with the other product I bought (like another reviewer, I'm reluctant to use it either even though it's apparently plain old HA with 'natural moisturising factors'). I'm going back to my pricier, safer serum, Synergie Vitamin B, that I know works for me and won't irritate my skin or cause a reaction.

I would strongly suggest people with sensitive rosacea or acne use caution with this one.

I found this product when I was suffering a phase of adult acne. After 1 week, my acne started clearing and this has remained a staple for 1 year. My skin is smoother and acne marks appear to fade quicker too. Great value for money - I bought 7 bottles to get free shipping after my first bottle ran out. Lasts a really long time too. 4 stars as it dries to a sticky finish. I overcome this by following with moisturizer.

This product actually works.
I put it in the morning & night. I noticed that my face is alot fairer and brighter every morning after using it religiously for about 1 week? However the effect stops after you stop using it. I also noticed that my blemishes have faded abit.
As the price is quite affordable, i would recommend it. If it doesn't work then you won't be too sad about the waste of money hahaa.

So i how i use it is: Toner > Hydrating Essence> Ninacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% > Moisturizer > Sunblock.
However i notice abit of ' wet flakes ' , i don't really know how to describe it but it's like when you do a scrub, you get those clump of dead skin ?? Just abit of it after applying my moisturizer. Not really a big deal for me as it's quite a good product to me.

I may or may not repurchase as i want to try other similar product, maybe in the future i will repurchase as i really quite like this product.

on 7/30/2018 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this product a few days ago because my acne was getting really bad. After two days of using this, my acne definitely cleared up. I followed the directions and applied it morning and night after I washed my face. But today I felt that my skin had this dry feel to it. I looked at my mirror and saw that my skin was flaky. I'm not sure if it's because I used it too often or that I did not put on a moisturizer after that. I'm disappointed that it made my skin dry.

on 7/30/2018 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't think this product does anything for my skin. I read beforehand that one should not use if with Vit C as it cancels out this product. After more than a month of use I don't see any difference in my skin.

I read somewhere that the brand does not always use the same supplier? As such each bottle used can be different? This is a bit concerning if true.

Won't repurchase this.

on 7/26/2018 11:29:00 PM

Nope. No thanks. I used it for the first time last night and now 24 hours later I have large, painful pimples all over my face. It's my first time trying a product from The Ordinary and I still have 2 more sitting on my bathroom counter I'm terrified to try.

on 7/26/2018 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I credit this product for helping to clear up a particularity nasty cystic acne breakout in the spring of 2017. I used this product religiously for months, but I may have developed a sensitivity to Niacinamide during my months of heavy heavy use. Some others have had issues with this product causing breakouts, so YMMV. Assuming I am not actually sensitive to niacinamide, I may give this product another go.

on 7/26/2018 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product, when used all over my face, made me break out badly. However, if I just dab a bit on the sun spots on my face, I have great luck with it. I've been using it since January 2018 and I have seen the dark spots become lighter over time. It isn't miraculous, you won't see a difference in one day, but it definitely works and the price can't be beat.

I won't buy this product again because I plan on trying Deciem's RE: Pigment next to see how it works on the dark spots on my face.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I want to start by saying that I have never reviewed a skincare product before. I have always been a lurker, but the time has come for me to give back to the community :)

My skin type is normal, and I don't really get that many spots besides the monthly harbinger of Aunt Flo. But as my darker-skinned sisters will know, these spots leave black scars that take months, sometimes years, to fade.

Previously I have used Murad (eek! not good for my bank account) and lemon juice (it worked okay but I stopped using it after I learnt how damaging it was for my skin). They made a little bit of difference. I really, really wanted to find something that would banish my black PIH once and for all because I hate being this insecure about my skin and reliant on expensive makeup made by unethical companies. So I gave the Ordinary's pigmentation regime a try, exactly as recommended on the website. I have been religiously using these little potions for the past four months or so. Besides Niacinamide, these are MAP, Azelaic Acid and Alpha Arbutin. I have been using them together so this review is for the combination.

You can see a before and after pic on my profile, taken three months apart. The proof is in the pudding as they say! I am so happy to have found this brand. I never used to leave the house without heavy coverage foundation and concealer even to buy groceries...and now I do!

My full routine:
AM
Wash face with Kobi San soap (also a HG for me now with lightening properties)
Apply Alpha Arbutin, Niacinamide, MAP, mineral AND chemical sunscreen, makeup

PM
Double cleanse - massage almond oil to dislodge makeup, remove with tissue
Then wash with Kobi San soap
Alpha Arbutin, Azelaic Acid

NB You absolutely MUST use sunscreen at all times, even if you're just lounging about in the house as these products WILL make your skin extra sensitive to the sun and if you don't protect adequately, the pigmentation will get even darker. I use two different ones together, one with physical UV filters and a chemical one. Physical sunscreen does not need to be reapplied but can easily be rubbed off, and chemical sunscreen needs to be reapplied every two hours but doesn't rub off. So I combine them together.

Also, I did get a few large painful cystic acne about a month or so after I began using the Ordinary but they stopped, and imo it was a small price to pay for literally having my face transformed.

on 7/23/2018 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have never had issues with niacinimide before, but this burnt my face. I had some minor irritation the first time I tried it. I waited two days and reapplied again last night with HA serum and moisturizer over top. I literally had to get up at 1 am and wash my face. My skin is red and hugely irritated (not breakouts, not an allergic rash, just red and burnt with little dry patches all over what had been really good skin). Despite what they say, this is clearly not suitable for sensitive skin.