Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.7

on 6/24/2018 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have tried many products from the Ordinary (and continue using quite a few of them), but if I had to choose only one to continue using for the rest of my life, that would definitely be their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. I am on my third bottle now and today I bought another two as a backup.
I had very oily skin when I started using Niacinamide regularly. Right now I describe my skin as combination, but it's actually quite normal on some days. My T-zone is never VERY oily anymore. And I do believe that this serum from the Ordinary helped a lot with my skin's sebum production. As a result, my pores around the nose and chin look visibly smaller.
I usually use this product once day, in the morning, as the first thing that goes on my skin after washing it. Other serums, SPF, and moisturizer go on top of it. Niacinamide does not effect the application of other products or my makeup at all. It is, however, important to remember to not use it together with Vitamin C products.
On the days when my skin tends to be more problematic, breaks out or suddenly produces more oil (usually around my period), I use this product twice a day. My breakout is ALWAYS visibly diminished in the morning if I used Niacinamide the evening before. I would really like to continue using it twice a day every day, but I'm a little worried that my skin might get used to it too much and the product will become less effective. So far my skin has been loving it! I highly recommend trying it for anyone who has oily skin, enlarged pores, and/or suffers from hormonal breakouts.

on 6/24/2018 6:18:00 AM

Although the product has some drawbacks, I still think that it is better than the rating here.
First of all if you have a normal to dry skin: walk away. zinc inside will soak up all your moisture and oil you have limited.
Also this product is not for under makeup. This can be a drawback but honestly I do not find it safe to use photosensitive products during the daytime, even under my spf.
I love this especially during my pms time. I am getting that extra oily face and chin area starts to be red and swollen. Using at nights during those days, calms my face and chin area down. Although using 2% salicylic acid gels would work similar on my chin, I do not like the peeling of my skin, which happens each time with those strong gels. I find this product more gentle in that sense.
About the brightening effect: I cannot say anything specific because firstly I do not use it daily, and secondly I use other products in my routine to reduce dark spots.
Packaging is simple and hygienic, enough product for a year.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've been using this daily for about a month and it has been amazing for my super oily skin. I am so, so happy I found it! I squirt about half a pipette into my usual blob of EltaMD UV Clear sunscreen in the morning, apply (making sure I cover my t-zone well), wait for it to dry, and then put on makeup (liquid foundation with a beauty sponge). I have never had an issue with it pilling or balling up. My makeup lasts so long because I BARELY get oily!! I previously had to blot basically all day long and now I blot once, MAYBE twice the whole day. I'm so excited about this product. I think it may be lightening my acne scars and brightening a bit as well, but the most noticeable result has definitely been for my oily skin. Also, I am very acne prone and it has not broken me out. So happy this works so well!

I'm on my second bottle so I think I can review the Niacinamide and give a true response. I use it on the nights that I don't use my retin-a, so that is every other night. I have noticed that my pores are smaller, my hooded eyelids aren't drooping as much and my skin seems a bit tighter. I follow it with The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2%*B5. I've been using Retin-a for a long time so I can't say that this is all from the Niacinamide but for the price I'll keep using it.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of those super confusing products that on first application has the potential to be deemed useless. You know what I mean? With more sensory products such as oils, masks or rich creams some basic part of you goes "ooh that feels like its doing something". Where as this Hyaluronic Acid serum, which is pretty much scentless and has a gloopy transparent appearance when dropped out of its pipette, immediately sinks in to your skin and your skin just feels, well, normal. Being that it's a water based product it completely absorbs and dries to leave your skin feeling as naked and fresh as it does straight after cleansing. But do not be fooled. It's packed with clever science and is a real hero product.

I have an oily, red & stubborn skin. Not much products works well on me. But this product works so well on my skin. It reduces the redness & smoothen out my skin texture. I fell so hard for this product & will definitely re purchase!

on 5/26/2018 8:37:00 PM

I really love this product BUT when it comes to The Ordinary, nothing is a one-size-fits-all kind of product. I have combination skin, t-zone is oily with visible pores and pre-menstrual acne flares, outer parts of face get a little dry and I am prone to seborrhoeic dermatitis and flaking around my nose, mouth and chin. Yes I know, sounds beautiful LOL

Anyway, as I have issues with oiliness and excess sebum production, pre-menstrual inflammatory acne lesions, and when SD appears in the summer there are hyperpigmentation issues to boot. Niacinamide, also called nicotinamide, is a variant of vitamin B3, niacin (or nicotinic acid). Applied topically in concentrations of 4% daily for 4 weeks, studies in Japanese women found consistently reduced rates of sebum production, decreased number of inflammatory acne lesions, and improvement in pigmentation issues. It's great stuff, and has certainly helped my skin look less oily and blotchy while reducing both the number of spots and the length of time they stay red and angry on my face. Best of all, it's quite cheap - I like TO's one since it's £5 for 30mls at 10% strength, whereas the Freederm gel is £5 for 10g of 4% strength. But still, it won't break the bank if you were to buy that one instead. I use this one just because I get the most for cheapest, and I like the little pipette design so I can mix a few drops into my moisturiser. I'm not convinced the addition of zinc does much but it is known to have antibacterial properties so maybe it is some help, who knows.

Most people will tolerate niacinamide well, but some people are sensitive to the niacin/nicotinic acid forms and this can cause flushing and irritation on the skin of some people. Niacinamide can be partially converted into niacin on the skin if it comes into contact with acids, like vitamin C treatments - or even naturally occurring ones in the skin's acid mantle. It's only a tiny amount but for people sensitive to it, it can cause the unpleasant symptoms noted above, and is why niacinamide doesn't agree with everyone.

So yes, some people will want to give niacinamide a miss. At least it is fairly cheap so you won't be left too out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you. Worth trying if you have issues with oily skin, inflammatory acne, or pigmentation issues and want to see if it helps!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had given up on The Ordinary. Most of the products I had tried ranged from ok but not great to absolutely awful, and then CEO went nuts on Instagram. Then I began using a moisturizer with a small amount of niacinamide and saw good results, so I began to wonder if I would see even better results with a higher concentration.

I add three or four drops of this to my morning moisturizer (cerave baby moisturizer, also highly recommend). I have noticed my pores are smaller, my face stays matte throughout the day longer, and red spots from pimples take far less time to fade than before. I really like this stuff and will reorder when I run out.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I apply a tiny drop of this to cover my entire face and it helps keep me matte throughout the day. It helps soothe active pimples but I don't believe it does anything to prevent them. This is a great serum. I rotate this with their salicylic acid at night. Will keep buying.

Update: Lately I've been using this in combination with The Ordinary's glycolic acid toner at night and it actually helps soothe and reduce my monthly acne flare ups. I highly recommend this gem :)

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I'm already on my second bottle of this. I have struggled with acne for years. I have used everything you can think of (minus products with BP as I am allergic). I'm 36 and my skin is oily, but dehydrated and clog prone as well as acne prone. I have FINALLY found a routine that seems to be working (*knock on wood*). After make-up removal and cleansing with Clinique TTDO balm and Clean and Clear cleanser I tone with the Tarte Knockout tingling treatment. Once it has time to sit on my skin and dry I then apply 3 drops of this product (one on each cheek and one larger one on my forehead). After I rub this in I top it with the Cerave facial moisturizer for PM (also containing Niacinamide) mixed with a couple drops of The Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil. I have cultivated my routine thanks to Stefanie Nicole on Youtube and her super informative skin care videos. I highly suggest no matter what type of skin you have you check her out!