Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

The Ordinary productsThe Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

3.9

on 6/24/2018 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have tried many products from the Ordinary (and continue using quite a few of them), but if I had to choose only one to continue using for the rest of my life, that would definitely be their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. I am on my third bottle now and today I bought another two as a backup.
I had very oily skin when I started using Niacinamide regularly. Right now I describe my skin as combination, but it's actually quite normal on some days. My T-zone is never VERY oily anymore. And I do believe that this serum from the Ordinary helped a lot with my skin's sebum production. As a result, my pores around the nose and chin look visibly smaller.
I usually use this product once a day, in the morning, as the first thing that goes on my skin after washing it. Other serums, SPF, and moisturizer go on top of it. Niacinamide does not effect the application of other products or my makeup at all. It is, however, important to remember to not use it together with Vitamin C products.
On the days when my skin tends to be more problematic, breaks out or suddenly produces more oil (usually around my period), I use this product twice a day. My breakout is ALWAYS visibly diminished in the morning if I used Niacinamide the evening before. I would really like to continue using it twice a day every day, but I'm a little worried that my skin might get used to it too much and the product will become less effective. So far my skin has been loving it! I highly recommend trying it for anyone who has oily skin, enlarged pores, and/or suffers from hormonal breakouts.

on 6/4/2018 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I've bought 2 bottles of it and I've just finished the first one (2.5 months, used 1/day). Initially I thought it was working very well as I got fewer breakouts but I'm no longer sure, perhaps my skin got used to it or something else is messing me up. But I will keep on using it and may change my review once I'm done with the 2nd bottle. I've tried using it 2/day but I found that it wasn't working well under sunscreen and make-up. The packaging is a simple dropper - I think a pump would be more suitable as it's rather runny. Still, for the amazing price it's definitely something worth trying, it seems to be working well for some!
P.S. Before I found The Ordinary range, I considered trying Paula's Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster which seems to be the same stuff but at (literally) 10 times the price! Thanks Deciem for looking after those who have smaller budgets :)

on 5/23/2018 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have super oily face all over the face, especially on my nose and jaw. I also have acne-prone skin, I always have pimple on my jawline and lately, on hairline. I came across The Ordinary for the first time when I was browsing skincare online shop in my country. At that time I actually wanted to buy La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (+) SPF, but because of the budget and curiosity, I bought this Niacinamide 10%+Zinc 1% first. I heard many amazing reviews how this product, especially when combined with either Salicylic Acid 2% nor Alpha Arbutin +HA, did wonder to acne and oily skin.
The Ordinary and its parent company, Deciem, are rather unheard brands here.
At first I was lost because unlike regular brands, The Ordinary doesn't really mention its product function on its name. They just stated the active ingredients and I have to dive each product page to get the information. According to some reviews, it's actually one of their characteristics and fortes, they doesn't sell many promises but just state how those ingredients are supposed to help my skin. Lately I tried some of Korean skincare but I just don't get the hype, especially the promise of "one product for all your skin problem" so this The Ordinary trait hooked me up.
Back to Niacinamide, I use it twice, on night I apply it after cleansing my face and before The Body Shop Tea Tree Night Mask. I've used it this way for about three weeks and I don't have any problem yet. I also apply it on morning before moisturizer because I hope it would help reducing oil. Well, honestly it really does a great job at reducing oil because about six hours later, if I touched my face (unintentionally), it doesn't feel slick and disgustingly oily. Just slightly oily. Well, my nose is still oily but I'm pretty satisfied. The problem is, this product cause balling. I didn't notice it when I applied moisturizer (I used Revlon Soothing Lotion + a drop of The Body Shop Tea Tree oil to help my acne before, now I use La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo), but when I applied primer (I used Revlon Perfecting Primer 001), there are some balling. It made my foundation streaky! Fortunately, after I change into dabbing instead of rubbing, the balling has lessened. Well, now I use Effaclar Duo as daily moisturizer, it seems a bit too drying when I combined it with Niacinamide so I might use it on night time only.
I haven't notice any change on my skin, but I never use any serum before and my acne scars are kind of old scars so I think they really need time to heal. But I'm glad it doesn't irritate my skin, or causing breakouts. Some people argued that this Niacinamide helps with preventing or treating acne, but since the official website itself doesn't recommend it for acne treatment, I don't complain. Although I must admit, it looks like I have less pimple now.
I will definitely repurchase and in fact, I have recommended it to my friend already!

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I'm already on my second bottle of this. I have struggled with acne for years. I have used everything you can think of (minus products with BP as I am allergic). I'm 36 and my skin is oily, but dehydrated and clog prone as well as acne prone. I have FINALLY found a routine that seems to be working (*knock on wood*). After make-up removal and cleansing with Clinique TTDO balm and Clean and Clear cleanser I tone with the Tarte Knockout tingling treatment. Once it has time to sit on my skin and dry I then apply 3 drops of this product (one on each cheek and one larger one on my forehead). After I rub this in I top it with the Cerave facial moisturizer for PM (also containing Niacinamide) mixed with a couple drops of The Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil. I have cultivated my routine thanks to Stefanie Nicole on Youtube and her super informative skin care videos. I highly suggest no matter what type of skin you have you check her out!

on 4/16/2018 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I use this every day twice a day blended together with TO azelaic acid, salicylic acid, moisturizing factors or my sunscreen and at night I add a drop or 2 of the granactive retinoid 5%. This combo has cleared and brightened my post pregnancy skin and has helped fade my melasma quite a bit as well. I'm not expecting any miracles there from an otc product but this combo has definitely helped. I've tried layering all of these individually but combining them into one serum seems to work fine and takes up way less time.This is a nice booster to my skin care and I'll keep buying it as long as they keep making it.

on 3/13/2018 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This seems to be the only thing that keeps my hormonal acne at bay without irritating my skin. I only apply it to the lower half of my face though as I find it dries my skin just a tad. Highly recommend this product and I hope they never discontinue.

on 1/24/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this as a scalp treatment and a possible alternative to my current 5% niacinamide serum (Stratia Rewind), but where this really shines is as a spot treatment for active acne. I tried putting on my whole face one evening and it really dried out my skin but I did notice the the acne I had shrank quite a bit. Since then, I've stuck the Rewind for all over my face, and only use this a aspot treatment. I've even used it to calm acne on my back.

I also use it to calm my scalp that gets itchy from seborrhic dermatitis in conjunction with anti-dandruff shampoo and Hada Labo Lotion to moisturize. After a shower I rub in some Hado Labo followed with 1-2 droppers of this serum. It seems to help calm the itch and niacinamide is supposedly good for scalp health.

I know other people say this is sticky but I haven't noticed it, its not as slick as my Stratia serum but glides just fine.

on 1/23/2018 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

One day after using this serum for 2 months I caught a glimpse of my face in a mirror at the drugstore one day and was both delighted and dismayed. Why? While it does lighten very well, in fact, I could not see my melasma at all but my skin was so so dry. This serum has zinc and that's not so great for someone with dehydration prone skin. Niacinamide is extremely effective on melasma and I recommend this to anyone with oily or combo skin. My skin felt smooth but it looked textured and my pores were HUGE because my skin was so dehydrated. I've moved on to Holy Snails will do a review on that in March 2018

on 1/22/2018 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is ok for the price. However, I'm not 100% sold on the efficacy of the formula. It doesn't seem well formulated at all, not that I expected much for under $6. It feels quite sticky and tacky on my skin despite only using one or two drops. Anything I layer over it doesn't absorb into my skin and remains sticky as well. I found that over time it dried out my skin which made it more oily (my skin is oily/reactive and prone to dehydration, clogged pores, and acne). A plus is that it didn't cause any breakouts. I'll continue to use and update after I've used the entire bottle.

on 1/21/2018 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

First, I have combination skin and I am a medium brown skin tone with a few sunspots and scars. I am sharing this post because I had to learn through mistakes on how to properly use this product. So hope this helps.

Initially, I would clean my face and put two or three drops directly onto my skin and massage it in. My skin looked dry, dull and flaky as a result as the product was too strong.

I went back to the deciem store and had to ask what I was doing wrong. Apparently, you don't put this product directly onto your skin! ( well no one told me...) here are the steps: 1. You put two drops on your palms. 2. Rub your palms together 3. Pat the product onto your skin. That said, I ended up picking up a hyulauranic acid during my trip to the store as it helps the skin retain moisture and niacinamide absorbs into the skin better. My routine now is first hyularanic then the niacinamide followed by my face cream. So here goes: step 1. 2-3 drops of hyulauronic acid on my palm 2. Rub palms together 3. Pat product onto face. Give it a few seconds to sink in. Then follow the same process for niacinamide. After about a min, apply your face cream as your normally would. My skin looks so refreshed and my scars are down by 70%! Cheers...hope this helps!