Garnier The Gentle Sulfate Free Cleanser

Garnier The Gentle Sulfate Free Cleanser

4.1

919051 7 AQUA/WATER, GLYCERIN, SODIUM METHYL COCOYL TAURATE, COCO-BETAINE, SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, PEG-100 STEARATE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, GLYCERYL STEARATE, COCONUT ACID, ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, PEG-55 PROPYLENE GLYCOL OLEATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, SALICYLIC ACID, CHLORPHENESIN, METHYLDIHYDROJASMONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, HYDROGENATED COCONUT ACID, POLYQUATERNIUM-53, COCO-GLUCOSIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, SODIUM ISETHIONATE, PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE, TRIDECETH-6, BENZOIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, BHT. F.I.L.

on 11/11/2017 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Nice, reasonably priced cleanser. I do detect a slight fragrance to it, but nothing off putting. Used in summer and now going into the fall/winter, it still does not seem to fry my face out or cause irritation. Takes all the makeup off, too.

on 10/21/2017 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Edit 11/12: I've downgraded this to a three after switching to the new Micellar gel cleanser and loving it (see my review). I much prefer clear gel cleansers, and in all aspects it blows this one away.

Original review:
As someone with sensitive, combination skin that is prone to flaking and redness as well as clogging, I'm always on the lookout for the next best cleanser. So many products cause problems, so it's good to find one that doesn't.
Despite bad reviews for Garnier products on this site and Beautypedia, I've always been a fan. Their micellar water, wipes, and Moisture Rescue are some of my staple items and holy grails. I don't experience irritation or breakouts from them whastsoever. The lesson here is don't listen to haters, listen to your skin. I think there are different kinds of skin sensitivity, so you really need to discover for yourself which ingredients upset your skin and which don't, despite the popular commentary.
This cleanser is a refreshing change from other "gentle" cleansers on the market that leave a horrible residue, because though this is not a clear cleanser, it rinses clean. I use wipes or micellar water first to remove makeup, so I can't speak to the makeup removal aspect. The texture is slightly creamy/gel-like and light, and it makes a light foam. There is a very slight scent, almost undetectable but lemony (which I like), and so barely-there that unless your skin is the type that must staunchly avoid all fragrances due to allergies, I doubt that it would bother you.
I've never had an issue with dryness from this cleanser either, unlike many others I've tried. So many cleansers are either too drying or else too thick/creamy and can cause breakouts, but not this one. I was a little wary of it being "sulfate-free" at first because sulfate-free shampoos dry out my hair something awful, but I don't have dryness issues with this cleanser. And, no breakouts, residue, or clogging. All I get is calm, clean, normal skin.
I would have given this five stars except that I really don't like the ugly, utilitarian packaging. I know that's a shallow reason to deduct a star (it's what's inside that counts, right?!), but honestly I wish they hadn't chosen to market this beautiful, high-end-worthy product in a plain medical-looking Cetaphil/Cerave type bottle. Sensitives want to feel like we're pampering ourselves, too.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I'll add my voice to the chorus - I love this stuff. Yes, I'd buy it again.

It's my in-shower face cleanser. I don't wear really intense makeup, but I do wear foundation 95% of the time, and powder, blush and concealer, too. It's a nice cetaphil-looking product (with a touch more body) that doesn't look like it's going to foam, but it does. This means that you can spread it out, and it's gentle enough, as well as non-tightening enough that I'll spend some nice time really massaging to break my makeup down. It does have a slight scent, but whether or not that's masking frag or inherent to the ingredients I don't know. It isn't bothersome or unpleasant. It rinses off nicely and doesn't make my skin feel like Beatrix LeStrange in the last Harry Potter movie.

I have not been wearing eye makeup recently, so I cannot attest to how it behaves that way,and the random times I've gotten some into my mouth it has a bizarrely bitter taste, but I trust you aren't eating it. It's just great stuff.

on 10/18/2017 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

BURNS my eyes – I have ultra-dry, sensitive skin with rosacea so finding a cleanser has always been difficult. I used the CVS brand Hydrating Cleanser for years but it was recently discontinued. Beautypedia rates this cleanser 4 stars for sensitive skin. I do like that it removes all my makeup effectively but it doesn’t hydrate the way its advertised. My biggest issue though is this cleanser burns my eyes along with leaving my skin tight feeling. I had high hopes for this one but it falls short being a gentle cleanser. I will not repurchase and will have to use my back up the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser.

on 10/16/2017 2:07:00 AM

This stuff is the bomb.com! I have skin that is extremely prone to break out and I admittingly tend to wear too much foundation. This cleaner removes most of my face makeup (I follow with a toner regardless) and never causes me to break out. My skin is left feeling very clean, but not dry.
The packaging and price is great. You get a lot for your money and it comes in a pump which is super convenient. No cons whatsoever. I will definitely be repurchasing because I can safely say I have found my HG cleanser.

on 10/16/2017 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Definitely would not repurchase. Going to return it today. The only reason I gave 2 stars and not 1 is because it removed all makeup easily.

My issues with this cleanser:

1. Has fragrance in it when it claims to be fragrance-free. You can smell it when you apply it. Looked up the ingredients and yes- one is a fragrant ingredient, although not listed as "fragrance". Real sneaky, Garnier. This company's skincare products are terrible and they make bogus claims. GET IT TOGETHER!!
2. Burned and irritated my eyes
3. Made my skin red and irritated after washing off (this might be due to fragrance that it supposedly claims to not have)
4. Left a disgusting film on my skin yet also dried it out

on 9/3/2017 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Using this for the past month or so, I can safely say that it's the best gentle cleanser for my sensitive acne-prone, eczema-prone skin. It doesn't dry me out, and in fact my skin feels soft and balanced afterward. It's cheap, widely available, and sulfate-free. I'd recommend this to everyone but the really dry, as it does foam up pretty well. I can't comment on its makeup removal ability, as I use this as a second cleanser after an oil cleanse. I started using this after another cleanser was so stripping that it gave me eczema patches, and I was happy to see them clear up quickly.

on 7/26/2017 1:28:00 AM

Been using this for 5 or 6 weeks now and I am in love! I can't say if it removes long wearing makeup because I actually double cleanse (with an oil cleanser first) on days when I wear a full face. But as a second cleanser (or a cleanser that I use in the mornings to refresh my face)... love, love, love. I have normal/combo skin (that can lean more oily) that can be sensitive when using harsh cleansers. This stuff does NOT strip my skin, but it actually feels clean w/ zero residue left. Not "squeaky clean" but nicely balanced. I can't remember the price, but it was VERY reasonable, especially considering the amount you get.

on 9/8/2017 11:55:00 AM

This left my skin feeling a little too tight and I did notice some dry patches & pimples. I do have extra sensitive skin! This did cleanse nice though, took off my make up and rinsed well. I wouldn't say this is fragrance free because I did detect a scent, but nothing overwhelming . Overall, this might work well for someone with oily/ combination skin.

on 8/8/2017 2:12:00 PM

pros: cheap price gets rid of all makeup (I litterally use this as a makeup remover sometimes) no weird film. cons: dried my skin a little but my skin was already pretty dry. smell is a little weird, but awful but some people may not like it.