E.L.F. Prime and Stay Finishing Powder

E.L.F. Prime and Stay Finishing Powder

3.7

on 11/18/2017 5:12:00 PM

I love a lot of Elf products and this product is great if you are not (repeat) are not prone to acne,this powder broke my skin out horribly,i would not reccommend this for anyone who has any issues with acne!!!

on 8/23/2017 3:47:00 PM

This is a great product for the price! I use it in the fair/light shade and find that it does a great job of touchups throughout the day, without looking cakey or fake. I've bought several of these and have them stashed in several places for convenience. This is a great, basic powder and I'll continue to repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My skin is on the dry side, so I tend to mostly use sheer, moisturizing foundations or BB creams that need some powdering to set. This little guy is great for that. I got the lightest shade and I'm fairly pale, and it matched me pretty well. But since it's a pretty lightweight powder, it won't add much color or coverage to your skin. But it's a great setting powder, and I appreciate that it's light so it doesn't make my dry skin look cakey. It evens out skin tone nicely, but what I love the most is how solid the powder is. There's virtually no fallout, but isn't so soft it'll shatter when you dip your brush into it and not too hard that you get zero payoff. Overall, it's worth the $2, and maybe even a little more. This is definitely a "throw in the purse on-the-go" type of product.

on 6/7/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This didn't work for me unfortunately. The color was actually a little dark on my skin (I got the lightest shade), and it clung really badly onto small dry patches/blemishes and emphasized my pores. It got cakey under my eyes when I tried to set my concealer with it. It's not something I'll buy again but I used about 80% of it up before I replaced it with the loose translucent powder by Elf.

The packaging is actually sturdier than I expected, I dragged it around in my bag for a few weeks with no issue, dropped it and the cover didn't break, nor did the powder crumble. I can see why this works for some, but not for me.

on 7/3/2017 2:34:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Not sure if I'm reviewing the same product but the packaging looks identical to the product I bought (called Flawless Face powder). I got the lightest color (ivory) at Target. They changed the colors of the Sonia Kushuk pressed powder I had intended to replace. Since I was in a pinch and this was only $2, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I use a pure mineral sunscreen because chemical sunscreens burn my eyes. Because of thus, I'm often left with a ghostly white cast. The Sonia Kusuk pressed powder I had before did a serviceable job to temper that, as well as being finely milled enough to be unnoticeable when piled on heavier onto shinier areas. Not so with this. The color and finish looked all right when lightly brushed on after putting on sunscreen, but by midday my tzone was a glaringly shiny. So I used a puff to press more of the powder in and that's when it kind of broke down. It looked orange-y (weird because in the palette the shade us an exact match to Ben Nye's Banana loose powder). It also looked unnatural, clinging to dry patches and highlighting my pores vs smoothing everything out. Not horrible, mind you, but I definitely would not purchase this again.

Full disclosure: I'm not a makeup junkie and this the third powder have bought in a decade, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison, but this was far inferior to the couple that I have tried.

One half star just for the slim, minimal, tiny packaging.

I discovered this little gem about six months ago, and put all my other powders to rest. I don't and never have really used powder much, but there are occasions when I need a very very light dusting here and there, depending on what foundation I'm wearing on a particular day.

I absolutely love this little powder compact. Its silky soft, finely milled, & pressed. This is the only powder I have ever used that is actually 'translucent' on me, and does not give any white cast either. I also love that it is a very light powder, does not cake. Tapping a bit of this on is unnoticeable, yet makes a huge difference in setting my foundation (only when I absolutely need it) and preventing shine. Yes, the packaging is super cheap, and I don't care. It does not come with a puff or a mirror, either.

I apply this with a small concealer brush and lightly tap it on, and lightly blend it out, on the places needed. I never use ANY powder all of my face. It never settles in pores or lines, and that's because its sooo light and wonderful.

This can also be used before applying foundation, but I have not used it that way yet. Maybe I will try it and report back.

For reference, I have LM translucent, MUFE HD, and IT bye bye pores loose. None of them have served me better than this little $2 compact.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

1 point off packaging for not having a place to put your puff, it being a crappy puff & no mirror but this is basic powder so basic packaging comes w it. For $2 who gives a what! If you are wanting fancier packaging buy elf mattifying powder for a buck more. I carry my own travel brushes in my bag anyways so it's cool but like i said this is BASIC as they come even LA Colors has a mini mirror. But the product isn't bad in fact I'm a basic "B" I like basic it's cheap it's good it's readily available normally Kroger has a couple in my color & I am a powder fiend so my face eats powders so I'll buy these in 2s & 3s at a time. Mattifying, sets MU, colorless, cheap, available, color selection need I say more???!! I'll buy this forever! MAC blot powder is nice but $2??!!! Go me! Go. Buy. More! Frugalista's unite and take over!!!

Super basic finishing powder. This isn't a foundation. It's not full coverage and isn't made as a perfect match powder. It's something that you just dust over your finished makeup to set it! It gets the job done and is a great tiny compact that is perfect for carrying in your purse for touch ups! I just wish it had a mirror.

on 2/24/2017 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After trying e.l.f.'s translucent mattifying powder ($4) and finding the "translucent" a bit too orange or oxidizing for my skin - I grabbed this cheap $2 little guy in the shade fair/light at Target. On the e.l.f. website - it lists fair/light as "sheer" now - but either way - this is a GREAT cheap powder to set your foundation! For the price, you are getting more product vs. the translucent mattifying powder. Such a steal!

It's a little lighter than my skin tone, but still has some "color" to it and this is why I prefer to use it to set my tinted moisturizer in the morning. The little color that is there gives me more coverage - and unlike the translucent mattifying powder - this one does NOT oxidize at all. It works great! I set all my makeup with e.l.f.'s Mist and Set spray - and it looks like great skin on my face.

This little powder is a gem, but It does NOT control oil. It does mattify on application, but I find that after 4 hours (or even 2) I'm starting to get dewy. So, I use e.l.f.'s HD powder during the day to control my shine - but I always use this little guy right away in the morning to set my face, because it has some color to it (compared to the HD elf powders that are sheer and can turn your face white).

For the $2 price tag, you could totally buy a couple of these and stash them wherever you might need to touch up; purse, compact, work, boyfriends place, etc.. - they are so cute and handy!

ETA: This little $2 powder has become my HG powder for setting my foundation in the morning. I love it. I love how it works, but I also love that it's a pressed powder. I like loose powders, but you can't take them with you - they make a huge mess, too. I've tried lots of powders in the past (see my reviews) including using ELF's 2 HD powders (loose and pressed) and this guy for $2 beats them all. I think it has to do with it having a little tint of color to the powder, vs. ELF's HD powders are sheer/white and it does NOT oxidize. I actually found that this powder makes my skin GLOW when it meshes with my foundation. I can actually see a difference wearing this powder vs. my others. I tried switching to the HD powder to set my makeup the day before - and I could tell immediately that the coverage isn't as good as this little $2 gem. I do still use the ELF HD powders for touch ups throughout the day (which works well over this powder) but I think I found my HG powder to set my makeup every morning. Going to buy a few more of these for backups! SO CHEAP TOO! I think this may be one of the cheapest pressed powders out there!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this at the recommendation of a friend. Going through my reviews and seeing how many of my 2 star ones are about recommendations from friends, I'm starting to reconsider taking recommendations!

I was told that this would perform better than the translucent powder that I was using, which is E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder. I was happy with the performance of the powder as it was, but I'm always on the lookout for less expensive products that can offer me the same thing. Unfortunately, I haven't found it here. I find that even the fair color darkens my foundation too much, and besides that it doesn't do anything that the HD Powder doesn't.

I emptied the compact and pressed one of my loose powders into it.