Clinique Pep-Start Daily UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50

Clinique Pep-Start Daily UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50
Clinique Pep Start UV Protector unblendedClinique Pep Start UV Protector blended

3.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 6.3; Zinc Oxide 4. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polydiethylsiloxane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Methyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Silica, Laureth-4 Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-Polyhydroxystearate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Dimethicone /PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Isostearic Acid, Dimethicone Crosspolymer-3, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides.

on 6/2/2018 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've been looking for a sunscreen to wear daily for a couple years now. I really wanted a mineral one for my face rather than a chemical, but had been unable to find one for a few years that really satisfied me. I don't wear foundation, so my sunscreen can't have a white cast. I also need the texture to be light and not gritty. I saw this and chose to purchase because of the light tint, which really blends wonderfully. If I have to buy every few months it'll still be affordable as long as the price doesn't go up. I'm about halfway through my bottle and it's been 2 months. I'll be applying more heavily and down my neck and chest in the next few months, so I'll probably get 3 months total out of a bottle. I do still use a more intense sunscreen for major time outside in direct sunlight, but this is a great every day option. I do top with translucent powder to keep skin looking a bit less shiny, up if you're into dewy the finish may be just what you want for a bare face. No breakouts on my sensitive, somewhat acne prone skin. I haven't noticed any issue removing at the end of the day. Overall, my current preference and choice for sunscreen! Love that it's also available at ulta now as well as Sephora, so easy to get for me.

Update: I experienced some dryness around my nostrils and slower healing of a breakout. I'm going to try something else. This might not be attributed to this product, but I'm going to see if another product might solve the issue.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Someone PMed asking if this is any better than the Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid For Face. Allow me to blow your mind...they're basically the same formula, just slightly rearranged ingredients LOWER on the ingredient list. So the performance honestly isn't much different. The Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid For Face just costs more for less product. Screw that. Clinique gets away with it because consumers rarely double check.

----------------

I like this sunscreen. I am <nc10 (suuuuper pale/neutral leaning yellow). The tint is a bit darker than me BUT it blends in well and I wear foundation over it anyways.

I like that the ingredient list is simple...for a Clinique product anyways. They were smart enough to not add in useless extracts or oils so my pizzaface hasn't erupted using this.

This gives me a healthier look. It evens out my skintone before even adding foundation. So I don't need to apply as much make up. I find that the formula helps my (very matte) foundation glide on easier than bare skinned. It doesn't ball up upon application. And I love that this is NEVER cakey.

This does eventually dry down to a natural finish.

The cons:

I'm not mad about it being slightly darker than me as that is a non-issue. But I am a bit irked that Clinique doesn't offer a deeper tone for darker girls. Maybe it'll blend in on them too, but I wouldn't know because I am pasty.

I will repurchase IF Clinique keeps the price as is. Sunscreen is the one skincare product I splurge on. But if it becomes too $$$ per oz, there's a million other wonderful options on the market.

on 2/21/2018 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Nice but very hard to remove. As other reviewers have said, this has a nice texture, works well under makeup, and protects your skin from the sun. I use Clinique wipes to clean my face, and have found that a lot of this product is still there after doing my usual wipe and rinse. It's not advertised as water or sweat resistant, but it definitely stays on! Not a huge issue, but for me, kind of annoying.

I have combination, acne prone skin and this dried me out like no tomorrow. Because it's so drying, my makeup looks super cakey. It you have oily skin I would recommend this. I don't recommend it for anyone who has remotely dry skin
UPDATE: I had to return it. It started giving me cystic acne (which I've never had before)

on 6/8/2017 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I really like this all mineral screen with SPF 50. Apparently it's only available at Sephora so I went there to buy it. The SA told me it was the most affordable mineral sunscreen they carried. It has a quite liquid, cosmetically elegant formulation with a slight peachy tint which disappears when you blend it in. It is very easy to blend compared to many mineral sunscreens. It leaves a slightly shiny finish initially but dries down well and makes an excellent makeup base. I tried it without primer, just with a serum underneath. I probably could have used a moisturizer as well underneath it as I found it a bit drying on my skin initially. But I was very pleased that at the end of the day my makeup still looked great with no breakup or oil breakthrough in the T-zone so I think it functions very well as a primer. Probably best for normal to combination skin. Dry skins will need an additional moisture layer underneath.

I am really pleased with this sunscreen. I have rosacea, and very sun-sensitive skin. Other mineral sunscreens I have tried (Aveeno baby, and then a French cosmetic one - not La Roche posay, maybe Avene? I can't remember) leave too much white cast, and/or do not work properly under foundation. This one blends just fine with makeup. It also has a slight tint, meaning it makes your skin look just a bit better even without makeup on top.
I am quite pale, so I would suggest testing it out before purchasing if you have darker skin - I would hope the tint blends universally (it claims to be good for all skin types), but you'd want to be sure.
It also works well in its basic function - preventing sunburn! I ended up walking a lot in the sun the other day, with this on my face, and nothing on the rest of me, and sunburned my neck, but my face was protected (and this was with only morning application, not re application).
Overall, I am so pleased with this, and will be using it for the foreseeable future.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This sunscreen has a great texture and finish, and due to its pale yellow tint, it also serves as a very sheer foundation for NC15-NC20 skintones. After using it only 2 times, I was left with hundreds of red dots and bumps all over my cheeks, a type of allergic acne I've never experienced before that took weeks to heal. Very upsetting and concerning for a Clinique product.

on 3/28/2017 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Oh my WOW! This is amazing! I love this product. It is hard to find. I went to Dillards, Macy, Nordstrom and Ulta with no luck. Finally someone told me that this product is a Sephora exclusive. YOU CANNOT GET IT ANYWHERE BUT SEPHORA. I went there and got it. It is light, easy to apply, makes me feel safe about my sunscreen (gotta protect your skin from brown spots and aging), and it leaves a radiant finish. The yellow tint blends right in with no white residue. I do like a little regular moisturizer under this as I am a little dry, but in summer with the heat and humidity this will be perfect alone under my make-up. Good job Clinique! Love this!

I've been using this product for about a month now and I'm really liking it. I'm no expert when it comes to sunscreen, but here are my thoughts so far.

I've tried a few physical sunscreens in my day, and this is by far the most cosmetically elegant. It has a tint to it which eliminates the white cast that so many physical sunscreens leave. The tint leans quite yellow, but don't let that scare you. Once the sunscreen is rubbed in and absorbed, I can barely detect the color. I'm around NW15 for reference.

I don't find this sunscreen to be greasy. My skin is normal to dry. I'm not sure how well this would work with oily skin. However, it's worth mentioning that I wear a thick, creamy foundation most days (MUFE HD Invisible Cover Stick) and this sunscreen has had no effect on the wear time. If you like to wear makeup, this is definitely worth checking out. I would suggest setting with powder if you do decide to wear foundation with this sunscreen though.

Like others have mentioned, this is heavy on the zinc oxide which can be drying. I haven't noticed any dryness since using this, but I do wear a light weight moisturizer underneath. No breakouts either.

The bottle is quite small and I feel like I will go through it fairly quickly. But that being said, I think the $20 price tag is reasonable compared to other sunscreens on the market. It's also nice that I can pick this up at Sephora or any Clinique counter. (Edit - The Pep Start line is now available at both Sephora and Ulta! I don't believe Clinique counters carry the products though)

I will definitely be purchasing this again. Sunscreen has been such a hassle for me over the years. I've always wanted a physical formula but physical sunscreens are often so thick and greasy. This is a wonderful solution and I'm so happy that I can finally wear sunscreen without resenting it. Great job, Clinique!

Update - 6/26/17 - It's officially summer here and this sunscreen is still holding up well. It does get a shiny on particularly hot days and it can feel a bit heavy on the skin. If you wear foundation on top, you might experience a bit of transfer if you touch your face. But all things considered, this is still one of the best sunscreens I have tried.

on 3/1/2017 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

My new favorite sunscreen! Previously was using Olay Sensitive spf 30, but was worried it wasn't providing enough protection. I have fairly dry skin that is not acne prone. With this, I apply a pea sized amount of cetaphil beforehand or else my dry patches show through. This is tinted, and goes on and dries with no white cast, to a soft powdery finish. I use IT cosmetics CC cream on top and it looks great. Overall super happy with this and the price (<$20)!!