CLINIQUE Pep-Start Daily UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50

CLINIQUE Pep-Start Daily UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50
Clinique Pep Start UV Protector unblendedClinique Pep Start UV Protector blended

3.8

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 6.3; Zinc Oxide 4. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polydiethylsiloxane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Methyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Silica, Laureth-4 Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-Polyhydroxystearate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Dimethicone /PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Isostearic Acid, Dimethicone Crosspolymer-3, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides.

on 1/8/2019 6:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This stuff is an amazing base. Very liquid and spreads easily and leaves a wonderful finish considering the high level of protection. The first day I wore it a coworker said "your skin looks great!" It can be worn on its own for a luminous, sheer look or layered with concealer and powder.
For some reason I have a fear that this will be discontinued or reformulated since Clinique messes around so much with its products, but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here.

on 10/31/2018 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The main pros for me are that I can use it around my eyes without irritation, and that it doesn't leave a white cast or white smears because of the tint. However, the tint is fairly intense and it is somewhat too yellow for my skin, though it usually doesn't look too noticeable. My main complaint with this is that it is quite shiny, although it is not a greasy shine at least. It's more of a "dewy" shine. It does not absorb and sits on the surface of my skin. It might be slightly drying. It doesn't always work well with the other products I use and can pill up when something else is applied on top. Although the price in itself isn't high, it is expensive for the small amount of product. For me it's not holy grail, but it's better than many other SPFs I've tried.

Edit: It seems like this may cause small clogged pores, bumps and blotches in the rosacea-prone areas of my cheeks, so I'm only using it around my eyes now.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'm loving this all mineral SPF 50 with one exception: the tint is too dark on my NC15 skin. Even with makeup applied over it, it looks unnatural. I used the City Block 25 for years and while that tint wasn't perfect it was lighter than this. This is a very elegant formulation that spreads nicely, feels comfortable and wears well. I use it full strength when exercising outdoors. For everyday, I am mixing it with Paula's Choice Skin Recovery all mineral SPF 30 to lighten the color a bit. I'm decreasing the SPF 50 this way but at least the tint appears more natural and meshes with my makeup better. I live in a sunny climate so SPF protection is a must. This is a medium tint IMO. Clinique could make light and dark tint versions to match more people especially since one has to apply enough sunscreen to adequately protect so color match really does matter.

on 6/2/2018 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've been looking for a sunscreen to wear daily for a couple years now. I really wanted a mineral one for my face rather than a chemical, but had been unable to find one for a few years that really satisfied me. I don't wear foundation, so my sunscreen can't have a white cast. I also need the texture to be light and not gritty. I saw this and chose to purchase because of the light tint, which really blends wonderfully. If I have to buy every few months it'll still be affordable as long as the price doesn't go up. I'm about halfway through my bottle and it's been 2 months. I'll be applying more heavily and down my neck and chest in the next few months, so I'll probably get 3 months total out of a bottle. I do still use a more intense sunscreen for major time outside in direct sunlight, but this is a great every day option. I do top with translucent powder to keep skin looking a bit less shiny, up if you're into dewy the finish may be just what you want for a bare face. No breakouts on my sensitive, somewhat acne prone skin. I haven't noticed any issue removing at the end of the day. Overall, my current preference and choice for sunscreen! Love that it's also available at ulta now as well as Sephora, so easy to get for me.

Update: I experienced some dryness around my nostrils and slower healing of a breakout. I'm going to try something else. This might not be attributed to this product, but I'm going to see if another product might solve the issue.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Someone PMed asking if this is any better than the Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid For Face. Allow me to blow your mind...they're basically the same formula, just slightly rearranged ingredients LOWER on the ingredient list. So the performance honestly isn't much different. The Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid For Face just costs more for less product. Screw that. Clinique gets away with it because consumers rarely double check.

----------------

I like this sunscreen. I am <nc10 (suuuuper pale/neutral leaning yellow). The tint is a bit darker than me BUT it blends in well and I wear foundation over it anyways.

I like that the ingredient list is simple...for a Clinique product anyways. They were smart enough to not add in useless extracts or oils so my pizzaface hasn't erupted using this.

This gives me a healthier look. It evens out my skintone before even adding foundation. So I don't need to apply as much make up. I find that the formula helps my (very matte) foundation glide on easier than bare skinned. It doesn't ball up upon application. And I love that this is NEVER cakey.

This does eventually dry down to a natural finish.

The cons:

I'm not mad about it being slightly darker than me as that is a non-issue. But I am a bit irked that Clinique doesn't offer a deeper tone for darker girls. Maybe it'll blend in on them too, but I wouldn't know because I am pasty.

I will repurchase IF Clinique keeps the price as is. Sunscreen is the one skincare product I splurge on. But if it becomes too $$$ per oz, there's a million other wonderful options on the market.

on 2/21/2018 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Nice but very hard to remove. As other reviewers have said, this has a nice texture, works well under makeup, and protects your skin from the sun. I use Clinique wipes to clean my face, and have found that a lot of this product is still there after doing my usual wipe and rinse. It's not advertised as water or sweat resistant, but it definitely stays on! Not a huge issue, but for me, kind of annoying.

I have combination, acne prone skin and this dried me out like no tomorrow. Because it's so drying, my makeup looks super cakey. It you have oily skin I would recommend this. I don't recommend it for anyone who has remotely dry skin
UPDATE: I had to return it. It started giving me cystic acne (which I've never had before)

on 6/8/2017 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I really like this all mineral screen with SPF 50. Apparently it's only available at Sephora so I went there to buy it. The SA told me it was the most affordable mineral sunscreen they carried. It has a quite liquid, cosmetically elegant formulation with a slight peachy tint which disappears when you blend it in. It is very easy to blend compared to many mineral sunscreens. It leaves a slightly shiny finish initially but dries down well and makes an excellent makeup base. I tried it without primer, just with a serum underneath. I probably could have used a moisturizer as well underneath it as I found it a bit drying on my skin initially. But I was very pleased that at the end of the day my makeup still looked great with no breakup or oil breakthrough in the T-zone so I think it functions very well as a primer. Probably best for normal to combination skin. Dry skins will need an additional moisture layer underneath.

I am really pleased with this sunscreen. I have rosacea, and very sun-sensitive skin. Other mineral sunscreens I have tried (Aveeno baby, and then a French cosmetic one - not La Roche posay, maybe Avene? I can't remember) leave too much white cast, and/or do not work properly under foundation. This one blends just fine with makeup. It also has a slight tint, meaning it makes your skin look just a bit better even without makeup on top.
I am quite pale, so I would suggest testing it out before purchasing if you have darker skin - I would hope the tint blends universally (it claims to be good for all skin types), but you'd want to be sure.
It also works well in its basic function - preventing sunburn! I ended up walking a lot in the sun the other day, with this on my face, and nothing on the rest of me, and sunburned my neck, but my face was protected (and this was with only morning application, not re application).
Overall, I am so pleased with this, and will be using it for the foreseeable future.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This sunscreen has a great texture and finish, and due to its pale yellow tint, it also serves as a very sheer foundation for NC15-NC20 skintones. After using it only 2 times, I was left with hundreds of red dots and bumps all over my cheeks, a type of allergic acne I've never experienced before that took weeks to heal. Very upsetting and concerning for a Clinique product.