Deciem The Ordinary High Spreadability Fluid Primer

3.4

Hexamethyldisiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, PEG-12 Dimethicone/PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopherol.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

My special occasion primer, a little goes a long way. Your skin looks very different after using this. I wouldn’t wear it plain. Makeup sticks and it lasts all day. Doesn’t smell. Perfect product.

I’ve purchased this primer twice now and my two experiences with the product have been pretty different. The first time I purchased it, I liked the product but it was a thicker gel like consistency that felt velvety on the skin but I questioned why the packaging contained a dropper given that the product was far too thick for the dropper. The second time I purchased it, it was a liquid consistency which I assume is the proper consistency given the dropper packaging. It is far more runny than any other primer I have tried but once it is on, it feels velvety and smooth. I certainly needed to use loose powder over it to mattify my face. Overall, for $8.80 AUD, I can’t complain about either version I recieved - the texture is nice and it allows me to put on foundation more smoothly (for background I don’t have any issues with large pores but it fills in my small pores well). I would recommend giving it a try if you are on a budget.

I really wanted to love this primer as it was such a good price, and I've heard brilliant things about The Ordinary products (or certainly their skin products). Although the primer itself isn't terrible, the packaging is so completely ridiculous that I can't bring myself to buy it again despite the very reasonable cost.

So, the primer. It's called High Spreadability and that's a fairly decent description. It goes on super easily, feels pleasant to spread over your face, and works well with my combination skin. Unlike better primers I've tried, I don't immediately notice a difference in terms of my skin neutralizing out a bit when I've applied it, especially as it's a little fluid-heavy, but it's lightweight enough to look fine underneath make-up. There is no smell to it which is fine, as I don't need my primer to smell pretty (though it's always a bonus when it does!)

The packaging is where I have a major issue. The pipette simply doesn't work. The primer gets clogged in the stem and once it reaches a certain point of saturation, you have no choice but to simply spread the edge of the stem over your face or transfer the primer to a different bottle. I do the former. I also find that you have to be VERY careful in screwing the lid on tight otherwise it's prone to leaking if you don't store it upright. For this reason I won't take it traveling. This primer has definitely taught me to never buy another primer that doesn't come with a pump bottle!

This little bottle was amongst the first 'The Ordinary' product I tried.
Initially I picked it due to the fact that it was only $10 and since my skin is fickle, a tenner wouldn't break the bank if my face rejected it. I've been burned by very expensive primers before, which promise so much but under-deliver in longevity, are from brands that test on animals or are just too expensive to realistically re-purchase on the regs... (I'm looking at you Hourglass "The Veil", you expensive, steep learning curve you!)

As an oily gal, this primer is great. It goes on like a dream, doesn't irritate or clog my skin and doesn't leave a white cast like many silicone based primers I've tried. It's unscented and vegan friendly too, so bonus points for those too.
As a primer, it makes my makeup go on so much easier and far less streakily. I use this under matte liquid AND powder foundations and it works just as well for both. After wearing it under makeup for a 12-14hr shift as an RN, I look 'dewy', but my makeup hasn't shifted or worn off unevenly. When I skip it and wear just the foundation on it's own, I'm left looking like I've rubbed a stick of butter all over my face and since my foundation likes to migrate to my five-head and eye-area wrinkles, I'll look like I'm ninety-five years old. As a 28 year old, you can imagine oily, patchy Methuselah isn't the look I'm really after.
But I digress, another really great use of this little wonder is if I want to look 'makeup-free.' I can slap a bit of this on, since it has a nice, kinda 'blurring' effect that smooths over some of my large pores, pigmentation and chickenpox scars nicely. I can forgo foundation altogether, just a swipe or two of mascara and I'm good-to-go. I especially love that this stuff delays the inevitable Panda-ing under my eyes with certain mascaras for at least 2 extra hours, which is always good in my book.

Now the bottle, while it looks lovely, is functionally pretty effing silly. The eyedropper isn't strong enough to control a substance that I can only describe as being of a vaguely similar consistency as a less-sticky, watered down maple syrup. Instead it just dribbles/gloops out everywhere a lot faster than it looks like it could actually move. I've left the house with primed toes on one foot before due to an accidental misblob (Bonus points because I didn't get blisters on those toes that day!).
9/10 times, I end up with far more primer than I could ever use for one face, because it moves faster than I can, but I can't put it back into the bottle for hygiene reasons, so many an application has been wasted.

TL;DR = why 4/5 lippies? -Makes my makeup stay where I put it.
-Super affordable.
-No more 'long-day-at-work-one-woman-oil-lamp' problems.
-Doesn't destroy my skin.
-Can use it on it's own to sorta blur out some of those imperfections.
-Pretty (but ultimately useless) bottle.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

The price is great. I hate the bottle but transferred it to a pump bottle. I am dry and this should work and it doesn't. The one that I hate is that nothing spreads. Eventually an hour later my foundation might melded with it, and sort of stayed put. It's harder to get my makeup on with this. I tried it with fingers and with a beauty blender. I am not really a brush girl. I noramlly wear Korea BB creams or Face Atelier Pro foundaiton - so dewy light makeup. This should work. I like the other one quite a bit. I tried it over a few sunscreens.

This product is affordable but I do not think it is very good quality. It dries my skin out and my foundation does not last the whole day. I would not buy it again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Would not buy again. Terrible packaging. Product was meh. Definitely used better primers.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I didn't see a big difference in my foundation's ability to stay on. However, this is perfect for mixing with the Photography Fluid to make it more spreadable.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I like this product in general, it's a good primer for makeup, though I do have a few issues with it.

It's an easy to apply, no fuss, basic silicone primer. It's no miracle worker when it comes to brightening or evening out skin tones, it doesn't do much for oily skin or pores, but then again it's not supposed to. It's definitely great for makeup - it smoothes over dry spots, feels light on the skin, my foundation goes on smoothly, stops it from bleeding into lines or clumping, it helps with the blending and longevity.

My one and only pretty big problem with this is the packaging. It should be in a tube packaging like the High Adherence Primer and not a dropper bottle. Not only is the dropper useless (I use it to scoop the product out like a spoon), every time I open the bottle, it exposes the product inside and causes it dry out a bit at a time. By the end of it's life, I find there's dried silicone bits around the top of the bottle that's essentially wasted product. The dropper/spoon that I use to get the product out also doesn't reach the bottom edges of the bottle, so that's wasted as well.

To me, if you've got pretty average good skin with no obvious problems and just need help with makeup, then this is perfect. I, on the other hand, have acne and need a primer with stronger mattifying properties than this. This is the kind of primer I would not hesitate to get if my usual one was sold out, since I know it's good and reliable and it's so cheap. I have repurchased this before and definitely wouldn't mind buying it again, however the High Adherence primer is also great and in a better packaging, so if you had to choose one, I would recommend that instead.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After reading reviews i have mixed feelings about this product. Mine was a thick consistency and with 1/3 of my bottle left i began to dig it out with the end of my brow brush. Other reviews say its a thin runny consistency.
I have dry skin and an oily nose.
Primer feels smooth and applys nice. Doesnt break me out. Most drugstore primers will cause those little white heads to pop up.