Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

3.4

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Vegetable Oil, Beta-Carotene, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Wonderful for my intolerant skin that tends towards congestion and oiliness. I'm allergic to coconut oil and any of its derivatives, which means products for my bathroom are very hard to come by! I bought this cleanser on a whim because it's coconut-ingredient free but honestly hadn't hoped for much. After a few days of use I'm pleasantly surprised! It leaves my skin feeling really clean but comfortable, and is the perfect prep for a light moisturizer. The lanolin definitely plays a role in the thicker texture, but with some water added the product turns into more of an extra light milk with slip.
It doesn't harden or thicken my skin like many cleansers do, and it's helping to clear up some congestion I had on my cheeks. This may sound weird but it encourages the skin on my nose to rub-off/peel slightly (in a good way), thereby helping to get rid of pesky blackheads that have been around for ages.
Overall I love this. For the price point and its 99.9% clean ingredients, it's a killer product.

I thoroughly enjoyed using this cleanser. I found it to be very gentle and refreshing. It did not feel as if it stripped my skin, and it did not feel oily afterwards. However, I do follow up by applying my natural, raw honey to my face as an added protective (and preventative) measure. The cleanser smells great too! It did sting a little when applying whenever I had an open wound on my face (chronic squeezer/pincher), but I guess I should expect that being that it's a cleanser. It's still very gentle with little to no foaming/suds-ing up.
I did not like the cap on the product. I had to fumble around with holding the cap (in shower) while trying to squeeze some product onto my fingertips, or trying to screw the cap back on at the sink so the product wouldn't spill onto the counter (also with the product sitting on my fingertips). A pump or flip-top cap would be ideal.

To Read all 444 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/20/2016 3:17:00 AM

I have extremely sensitive skin so I try to stay away from any harsh peels. This was anything but harsh. My skin felt softer,use this before and makeup goes on flawless.

on 1/15/2016 6:32:00 AM

This was my favourite morning cleanser for a long time; I may have to buy another tube soon.

It's lather is minimal, but you do get used to it, and once my skin became accustomed to less oil-stripping cleansers, it regulated itself and became less oilu throughout the day. I'd call this an average cleanser with no ill effects but certainly no stand-out amazing ones, for me at least. I mainly used it because of the delicious nose-pressed-against-an-orange-skin scent which woke me right up in the early mornings, better than a shot of espresso.

on 1/15/2016 5:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I use this as I would an oil cleanser to remove makeup and sunscreen. It is oil based, so I follow up with a foaming cleanser to get all the oil residue off. My face is oily, acne-prone, and I have not broken out when double cleansing with this. Beware: The product has gone through several formulations, and there is no telling when they will reformulate again. The formula you enjoy now may not be around later (thank you Clorox). Although I don't love the ingredient changes, I personally feel the newest formula is comparable to the older ones and will continue to use.

Original metal tube: vegetable glycerin, olive oil, orange oil, oat protein, water, lanolin, aloe barbadensis gel, vegetable oil and beta carotene, tocopherol (vitamin E), and rosemary extract

Orange plastic tube: vegetable glycerin, olive oil, orange oil, oat flour, lanolin, oat oil, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, vegetable oil and beta carotene, tocopherol (vitamin E), quillaja extract, and rosemary leaf oil

White plastic tube: glycerin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, limonene, avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel oil, lanolin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, quillaja saponaria (quillaja) bark extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, beta-carotene, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate

on 8/5/2015 3:51:00 PM

I wanted to love this because of the nice scent and natural ingredients, but unfortunately it just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't lather at all, which wouldn't bother me if it worked well. It doesn't make my skin feel clean - and I'm not talking over-scrubbed or over-stripped, just simply...clean. It doesn't rinse off nicely and feels like it leaves a bit of a film.

on 2/5/2015 10:19:00 AM

I love this cleanser. After struggling with acne for several years I finally switched to gentler, natural products. Cleansers with harsh chemicals and soaps dried out my skin, making it overcompensate and produce even more oil, leading to more breakouts. This cleanser has a great consistency (like a gelée) and does not strip skin of its natural oils. It definitely cleanses, but leaves your skin feeling soft, moisturized and movable, not power-washed, dry and tight. I've learned that lathering cleansers are not so great for your skin due to the ingredients that give them their lather (sulfates) and the oil-stripping agents they contain. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but cleansing like-with-like (oil with oil), will make your skin much happier and much more balanced. When you keep a healthy, natural balance of oils on your skin, you will see such a difference and that is exactly what this facial cleanser did for me.

The Vitamin C in this is excellent for brightening the skin as well and it smells good :)

on 1/30/2015 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Well, here's my input on this cleanser...the best thing about it is the scent. It smells like fresh juicy oranges. And another plus is that it made my face super soft and smooth. However, this stuff does not lather at ALL. It is very mild. I would not suggest even attempting to take off makeup with it. I will use it on the days when I'm just laying around the house and my face doesn't require much deep cleaning. Probably won't purchase it again though.

on 1/18/2015 4:20:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have used this cleanser since 2007. Although, it has changed since the original formula- it is my go to.... It does not foam- and has a gel/cream like texture. It is wonderful for dry or sensitive skin. If you have oily skin I would not suggest.... It can be used two ways. It can be applied directly to the face and then gently rub it all over and remove with a cloth. Or use about a nickel size amount in palm of hand and then add water and apply to face. Wonderful smell- I just love it!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Plus points - zingy aroma great fora morning cleanse. I use this in the shower with a muslin cloth to remove. Leaves skin feeling fresh. However, not that fond of the texture which is a gel (nice) but with a funny grainy texture (not so nice). Haven't tried using this one for a full make up removal so cant comment on effectiveness on this front.