Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

4.3

on 6/6/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combination/dehydrated with hormonal and sometimes stress-related acne that I have a hard time not picking at.

Now, to preface, I'm not sure exactly what combination of products I'm using is actually doing the work at the moment. I have an idea, of course, but I think it's a combination. Either way, I haven't had skin this nice and clear since I got a severe infection, bordering on sepsis, a couple of years ago and was put on massive amounts of antibiotics. That cleared my skin completely for a while, but it was no fun and antibiotics are HARSH. For the last month or two, though, it's been consistently almost that good, without the side effects.

I think this gem of a product, in combination with a few other things, is what does the magic. All the other products I use have been in my rotation at least slightly longer, but I also feel that a few of them help my skin deal with this product much better, so they're important.

Cleanser: MAC Cleanse Off Oil, sometimes followed with or occasionally alternated with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar hydrating cleanser.
Toner: a generic pharmacy brand hydrating glycerin toner, important, but any will do.
Treatment: Wooden Spoon Troubled Skin Serum, a combination of tamanu oil and marula oil with a few essential oils that helps calm down irritation and helps my skin heal faster, I find. This makes a big difference, without it my skin becomes a little irritated by the azelaic acid product.
Treatment: this, after the oil.
Moisturizer: Avene Skin Recovery Cream.
When needed: Cosrx Pimple Master Patches.

In the morning I just wipe my face with hydrating toner on a cotton pad, spray on some more toner, apply sunscreen (Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sunblock, that one also makes a difference, it seems chemical sunscreen breaks me out a little) and then do my make-up.

I use this most nights, and my skin mostly tolerates it, especially when used with an oil or a moisturiser as a buffer, so to speak. Every now and then I need to give my skin a break, though, and just use very mild, bland products - once or twice a week or every other week, perhaps.

So. Would I recommend this? Yes. It has significantly reduced my hormonal acne. Would I repurchase? Already have. Azelaic acid really works for my skin, it seems.

I’m in complete skin heaven! This is a miracle. My skin was breaking out, had red acne scars, and an uneven skin tone. In two weeks, my skin is absolutely amazing from Azelaic acid. The Ordinary does a great job with this product. My skin handles nothing well and I am stunned. I keep looking in the mirror. I finally understand the term brightening. My acne has disappeared and the redness is fifty percent gone. I use a ten step Korean skin care routine. Son and Park Beauty Water and this product are my holy grails. I use a hydrating essence and moisturizer after using The Ordinary. I’m beyond grateful and happy. Try it!

Interesting product. I'm using it to combat hormonal acne and rosacea. I'm about 2 weeks in, and the progress is slow. Better on the acne front than the redness. I think part of the problem is that the product both itches/stings after application. Nothing I can't handle, and I haven't had any visible reaction to it (no additional redness or blemishes), but it's obviously irritating on some front. I'll continue to use it, especially for the price.

on 2/10/2018 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love, love, love this product! I have combination skin with a pretty oily t-zone, redness, and slight discoloration. This product has made a big difference in only a short amount of time already. I use it in the morning in combination with The Ordinary's caffeine product and my face looks bright and fresh. This product doesn't dry my face out but rather keeps it looking fresh and not oily throughout the day. It feels lightweight and wonderful. A little definitely goes a long way, too, which is nice, but that hardly matters at this price point; it doesn't set you back to stock up if you need to. The only skin care regimen I had before was using Nivea religiously in the morning and before bed, so that might be why I've noticed such a big difference already since I hadn't been using anything before this to help with my ruddy complexion. I absolutely love it.

on 12/13/2017 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Have had mild rosacea since I cld remember. Bought it via Hush app after reading reviews here and over at SkincareAddiction thread in Reddit. As soon as the product arrived, I eagerly dabbed it into my cheeks, nose, and chin. A few hours later, the redness actually went away. I would say about 80 percent gone. So grateful I found this info from you all! Yes it stings or burns a bit but it goes away after a few minutes. A must for those who struggle with mild rosacea! Edit: after few months of use.... it doesn’t seem to improve rosacea after daily use. The first day was WOW but afterward slight improvement.

on 11/17/2017 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Sadly, this didn't do anything for my skin. I've given it a few go a few times, but never stuck with it long-term since I see no improvement of my skin whatsoever. I used and adored the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (EU version without benzoyl peroxide) for several years, but wanted to replace it with a cruelty free product. Sadly, this wasn't it. I actually bought it on the recommendation of Wayne Goss (the first time I heard about this company, before it exploded all over social media/youtube in particular), and needless to say I had high expectations. I'm acne prone and extremely prone to closed comedones, and this product didn't improve my skin texture in the slightest. If anything the silicone-y texture feels like it may be clogging in and of itself. I already smother my skin with silicone primers during the day, I'd rather not do the same during the night, to be honest.

On the flip side - when the price is this low, you can afford to take a gamble and lose. If this works for you, then I can only congratulate you, because what a bargain.

on 9/4/2017 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is an effective preparation for azelaic acid, which is the active ingredient in "Finacea."
It immediately rid my face of stubborn breakouts. The formula is nice, disappearing, and unscented.

on 7/13/2017 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this stuff. In general I'm a big the ordinary fan, because I get to design my own skincare and that is right up my MakeupAlley :)
I use a few product from the ordinary already, the matrixyl, retonoid , alpha arbutin, agireline, vitamin 23% and niacinamide and it just seems to work. My skin has improve so much over the last months, something I haven't been able to achieve buying much more expensive products.
The azelaic acid is the last addition to my skincare regime and it has done wonders. I have very dry skin and redness. Not roscea but plain irritating redness that shines through almost all makeup. Since I started using the ordinary products, it has gotten better, not flaming red anymore just red. I then added this and it's magic. I apply this in the morning, after other products and within minutes my redness fades and on good days, disappears all together. I goes on easily and smooths out the skin, not need for a primer. I have to wait a few minutes before applying foundation or I will experience pilling, but after those minutes makeup glides on beautifully.
I have noticed that my redness over all is not a servere as I was before starting using the azelaic azid so I believe I'm seeing more long term benefits as well.
Super affordable, doesn't dry out my other wise dry skin as long as I use it in conjunction with a good moisturizer.
I would hightly recommend this to anyone with similar skin issues, at that price it's worth trying it out.

It did work like I expect azelaic acid product to work. Takes away some of the redness (PIH) that is left back after a breakout and all that. It doesn't measure up to my more preferred azelaic acid products (1. PC Resist Multi-Correction Treatment, 2. Ducray Melascreen Emulsion) as The Ordinary is just azelaic acid and obviously lower concentration than the 15-20% prescription products. The texture is really off-putting, though, when I apply it, it feels very "there" and slick on skin and it doesn't wear well during the day under sunscreen. Also, not easy to layer with other products. So yes, it works, and if someone is looking for azelaic acid specifically then it's great, but for results there are better options out there, both OCT and prescription.

on 5/23/2017 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I've been looking for something like this for years. As I've gotten older, I have struggled with rosecea and hormonal acne on my cheeks. Despite cleansing, toning, and treating with other products twice per day for months, nothing worked for me. I began using this stuff about 3 weeks ago and immediately saw a difference in the redness in my face. About a week ago, I did have a bit of what I'm hoping was a "purge" phase, with an increase in a few spots on my cheeks. However, they went away within a few days and my face is looking better than it has in years.

Negative: not much comes in the bottle... It seems like it will last around a month if used once per day.