Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

2.9

on 3/20/2018 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After having a baby last summer my skin went crazy. I've been battling acne, melasma, bouts of oilyness followed by dryness and an overall hormonal hot mess. I've had some success with the granactive retinoid in squalane and SA from this line and wanted to add a few products so that I had a more comprehensive routine for AM and PM. I mix a pea size amount in with either the Moisturizing factors or my sunscreen from EltaMD with niacinamide as well as a drop of squalane in the morning. Yes it may dilute my sunscreen but my skin can only absorb so many layers of products so I do what works for me . This mix applies easily, absorbs quickly and wears well under makeup. No pilling or other issues with texture when I use it this way. On it's own it's a creamy silicone based formula that's thicker than a primer with less slip. I did knock a lippie off for being so cone heavy but so far it hasn't been a problem. I did experience a bit of purging the first few days but my overall skin tone is brighter, clearer and less red around my nose and cheeks. This does cause some slight irritation when applied on its own but it goes away quickly and doesn't cause redness or itching. My only frustration with Deciem in general is that they use a lot of cone, glycerine or castor oil bases that can clog up my skin and will cause more breakouts if I layer on too many of their products. So I have to really pick and choose which ones I think my skin can handle. Some serums with glycerine high up in the ingredient list I won't even try like the buffet. This has been a good addition to my skincare routine though and I'll continue to use it . The dirt cheap price is also great

on 3/10/2018 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I really wanted to like this line. It has a great marketing approach, price points, variety and ingredients. But I had to stop using it when the Niacinamide 10% nearly ruined my skin after one use. It took so much to get it back in shape from the rough textured, tiny raised weezing bumpy mess it turned into, that it's made me leary on the rest of the line. I'd already ordered several products so I decided not to cast away an entire line due to one bad apple. The Azelaic Acid has similar though less disruptive results to my skin but enough for me to quite while I'm ahead. There are too many good items on the market to keep using one that fails you. I'll be giving this away to my niece but I don't think the line is bad, quite the contrary. I just think it's not compatible with my skin for some reason and the results are the same with each product, despite being different items. I'm thinking it's one ingredient that I can't quite single out. Oh well.

on 3/9/2018 10:41:00 AM

It calms inflammation (especially when I use it after a retinoid), it's effective and cheap but I'm not crazy about the silicony feel of it. Still, I would and have repurchased it.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I've repurchased this. The price is great, but only lasts 2 months, so factor that in to the cost. This is levels my skin feeling smooth, not tight, but very dry and matte. Of course I use moisturizing products after, so no biggie. It has changed my skin, evening out the discoloration. However nothing beats retinol! The Ordinary sells Retinol 2%. That has made the most impact on my skin feeling smoother, and definitely and quickly decreasing freckles, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation. It's done this in two weeks, but I am able to use it nightly. Can't recommend enough! The bottle with the dropper works great. Looks great with all my face oils (I buy jojoba, sweet almond, and especially argan oil from Amazon for a steal). The dark bottle protects the ingredients from oxidizing. Many, many products at ten times the price have not had the impact that this does at $7

Does not clog my pores. I see a slight differance in my redness. On my third tube. Hoping to see more results.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have light skin (approx NW20) prone to redness especially on chin and cheeks. This just really dried out my oily/combo skin - made it flaky and rough after first use. It also smells strongly of plastic and sure didn't seem that the tube was full?? As with the other The Ordinary products I tried it wasn't worth to return so I tossed. I tried! I was excited about a lower cost line but so far only 1 of 4 products have worked for me :(

on 7/6/2017 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

i wanted to like this so badly because i have skin redness that's i'm desperate to get rid of. however, i wasn't able to see whether it worked because it was so itchy i had to wash it off after 3 minutes. giving it to a friend with less sensitive skin :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have acne-prone, oily skin and this did not work for me. The texture was really thick and difficult to spread without using a lot of the product. It made my skin extremely matte--almost too drying for me and I have oily skin. The reason I stopped using it was because it made my skin itchy and made me break out.

on 4/13/2017 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Background: I have dry, sensitive, and rosacea-prone skin that is starting to show lines under eyes when I smile.

I have been using this product off and on for the past 2 months. It's something I really wanted to like because I have been interested in azelaic acid for quite sometime now (supposed to be very good for reducing rosacea-related redness). But alas, I don't like this particular product for my skin.

I'm currently following an Asian skincare-inspired routine. So I pay close attention to a product's texture, active ingredients, and pH level to determine which step I will use it.

Azelaic acid is what I consider an active. So I would put it on right after my double cleansing, and before anything​ else. But I can't with this one because it's silicone-based and would prevent other products from being absorbed into my skin.

So I've been putting it on after my essence & serum, but before any moisturizers (lotion / oil / cream / etc). But it was still problematic there. It left my skin feeling so dry, and pilled easily when I layered moisturizers​ on top.

I know some people use this during the day sort of as a makeup primer because of the silicone, but I am a little leary about using an acid during the day (personal preference).

So as much as I wanted to like this product, I just couldn't make it work for me. But it may work very well for someone with normal or oilier skin.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Found it impossible to wear this under make up as it peels when you apply foundation. Tried different combinations with other skincare products and primers including my favourite Hourglass mineral veil primer - no, it peels off and lookes like white flakes of silikone on the face.