Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

4.3

on 12/1/2018 11:08:00 PM

I am glad I purchased this because it is helping with brightening and fading acne scars. I have been trying to improve my skincare by introducing actives, and I heard that this is a good OTC azelaic acid product, so when I saw it on Beautybay.com, I snatched it up. I have heard from other reviewers that this formulation is thick and doesn`t spread easily on the skin, but personally, I haven`t had that problem. I don`t really use tons of it, just a tiny dollop from which I apply small pin tip portions all over my face, followed with a massage. I use it every other night right after applying Niacinamide (from the same brand), and so far I haven`t experienced any adverse reactions. I alternate my Niacinamide+Azelaic Acid with Niacinamide/Differin at night. In the mornings I use Resveratrol/Ferulic Acid mixed with Vitamin C daily. This routine was introduced slowly, because it can be irritating, and now this is working fine with no breakouts or irritation, so I am doing it on an every day basis. I have already repurchased back-ups of this acid.

on 11/15/2018 11:13:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

MY ROSACEA: I'm 45 and have had rosacea for 25 years. It's been getting worse since I hit my 40s. On top of redness on my cheeks, nose and chin, I developed little bumps, pustules and almost every pore near my nose and chin were enlarged, angry and red. In the winter I get small dry red plaques on my cheeks. I don't flush unless I try new products, drink alcohol or go outside in strong winter winds.

It was getting more difficult to cover my rosacea with makeup as my oily T zone developed a top layer of rough broken skin that my foundation accentuated. Last month I bought a bunch of new things to try base on reviews here and on YouTube.

I never write reviews, because most products never help, at best they just didn't make things worse. I've seen such improvements in the last month I had to come here and share.

WHAT I TRIED SO FAR - PM routine:

Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid - 1 month
Ordinary Rosehip Oil - 1 month
Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA - 1 week
Ordinary Azelaic Acid - 1 week

RESULTS SO FAR:
I can't believe it, after 1 month the texture of my skin is the best since I was a teenager. It is smooth and hydrated and this is happening as the temperatures have dropped to winter levels!!! The bumps are reduced by 80%, my redness by at least 60% and my pores have shrunk and are no longer irritated. All of this for less than $30 CND. I noticed improvements as I introduced each new products, so it's not just one thing working, it seems to be the combo.

AZELAIC ACID:
I find it's best to gently tap this on last after applying a moisterizer. It's quite drying otherwise. I just tap a thin layer into my red areas each night. The other products helped with the bumps, but this has sped up the process.

on 10/26/2018 12:16:00 PM

Really like this product - helps to brighten my skin tone. I am oily and have mini breakouts regularly - I find this really helps to heal my breakouts and even out my skin tone. I think to get the full benefit it is important to ensure you exfoliate your skin regularly (in combination with a regular cleanse, tone and moisturise regime) otherwise it won’t make much difference to dead skin cells. For the price, it’s a good pick me up for the skin.

on 10/12/2018 9:11:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I use several Deciem products but this is one of my absolute favourites. It goes on so easily, never greasy or rubbery. Just a smooth, soothing cream / serum that goes on beautifully over my Matrixyl and under my daily SPF. I really hope the recent news of Deciem closing shop isn’t true.

Was pleasantly surprised by how amazing this product is!! It feels incredible on the skin, smoothes it out beautifully once applied, leaving a finish similar, if not better, than most actual primers I've tried (and believe me, I've tried many!) - even though it's advertized as a serum only!
The finish is matte, but since I wear it underneath a moisturizer, that's not an issue for me.
Thank you, The Ordinary, for being so original (azelaic acid!) in a product formulation, straightforward as to offer products that give our skin substances it truly loves (because this is just one example!), and let alone, for being so affordable!
Couldn't recommend your brand more!

on 9/30/2018 9:06:00 AM

It is an exceptionally elegant medical grade Azelaic Acid formula for an excellent price.

Comparing it to Finacea (15% Azelaic Acid) and Skinoren (20% Azelaic Acid), it is definitely a winner when it comes to finish on the skin and mildness while delivering the same results without the excessive irritation that a higher concentration Azelaic Acid product could do.

Where Deciem did a good job is selecting very mild emollients (Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone) and leaving out glycols in all forms creating a superior product that is non-penetrating and mild and will deliver the Azelaic Acid also in a more time-release manner: slower, over time. This will also provide a longer lasting effect on the skin.

The inclusion of silicone raw-materials (Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer and Polysilicone-11) will also aid the time-release delivery and will provide elegance to the product.

Azelaic Acid will aid the healing of inflammation and also counteract acne (and rosacea). It is an alpha-hydroxy acid that is naturally found in corn having excellent exfoliating, anti-inflammatory and strong anti-oxidant properties when applied topically.

The formula from The Ordinary does deliver both on clearing acne and also hyper-pigmentation.

What I miss is a bit more fluidity that would aid an easier application providing more slip.

I would recommend using the product only if you have problems with acne or rosacea. Starting applying it sparingly twice a week to begin with and increasing application to once (or even twice) a day. Apply always on clean and dry skin and only the smallest amount. This formula is easily absorbed and allows the application of a moisturizer immediately.
I did not experience problems in the form of balling/pilling after application of other products.

In case of sever acne, it can be combined with retinol/tretinoin at night and Azelaic Acid in the morning. You should be well accustomed to both actives before using them simultaneously! The irritation potential of using them in combination is increased several folds.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone, Azelaic Acid, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polysilicone-11, Isohexadecane, Tocopherol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Isoceteth-20, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 5/23/2018 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

For reference I have combo normal to dry skin, with an oily nose. I suffer from papulopustular rosacea on both cheeks that I self manage.

This is a lightweight silicone based lotion that applies and absorbs quickly. I use this with the Hylamide Sensitive Skin serum and have found that with religious use every day (no skipping!) unless I directly do things that cause flare ups (be outside in full sun for extended periods) my skin will not have any inflamed pustules. I still have slight texture problems (bumps) but they never get out of control. In the winter my skin has been looking the best it has ever looked without taking drugs.
On a side note, if I just use the Azelaic acid without the serum, I find the texture of my skin feels a bit rougher - the bumps feel a bit more pronounced but still not fully inflamed or showing signs of fluid. If I don't use the acid, and the serum only the skin texture feel smoother and not not as rough, but bumps sometimes show inflammation. I think it's definitely the combination of the two that work for me.

on 2/15/2018 10:07:00 AM

Glory glory Hallelujah!!! This stuff is AMAZING! I use it instead of a moisturizer during the day and it is really effective at soothing my sensitive acne-prone skin. The texture is weird, it's as if it dries too quickly on skin and the more you rub it in, it can start pilling up. HOWEVER, I found a great solution: I layer the Ordinary EUK 134% (which is a great anti-oxidant serum, you only need a drop or two), wait a few minutes and apply this product -- voila! It goes on smooth and you can use as much as you want, it will apply perfectly and won't pill up. If you don't care for layering, the secret is to apply it in tiny portions and not over rub. This product also acts as a foundation primer. Can't recommend this one more!

on 2/10/2018 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love, love, love this product! I have combination skin with a pretty oily t-zone, redness, and slight discoloration. This product has made a big difference in only a short amount of time already. I use it in the morning in combination with The Ordinary's caffeine product and my face looks bright and fresh. This product doesn't dry my face out but rather keeps it looking fresh and not oily throughout the day. It feels lightweight and wonderful. A little definitely goes a long way, too, which is nice, but that hardly matters at this price point; it doesn't set you back to stock up if you need to. The only skin care regimen I had before was using Nivea religiously in the morning and before bed, so that might be why I've noticed such a big difference already since I hadn't been using anything before this to help with my ruddy complexion. I absolutely love it.

I use it as a primer for my oily and rough skin and it's better than any primer I've tried! It smooths skin and blurs pores, feeling like a silicon based product. I'm not sure to be honest if it's really brightening my skin or making it less red but I can use it as a primer everyday without worrying what negative effects it's having on my skin.