Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

3.7

on 9/5/2018 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

Love love love azelaid acid! It's very comfortable going on and leaves a smooth, matte finish like a primer for foundation. It's gentle, yet works well to reduce acne and textures on your skin. A keeper.

on 6/6/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combination/dehydrated with hormonal and sometimes stress-related acne that I have a hard time not picking at.

Now, to preface, I'm not sure exactly what combination of products I'm using is actually doing the work at the moment. I have an idea, of course, but I think it's a combination. Either way, I haven't had skin this nice and clear since I got a severe infection, bordering on sepsis, a couple of years ago and was put on massive amounts of antibiotics. That cleared my skin completely for a while, but it was no fun and antibiotics are HARSH. For the last month or two, though, it's been consistently almost that good, without the side effects.

I think this gem of a product, in combination with a few other things, is what does the magic. All the other products I use have been in my rotation at least slightly longer, but I also feel that a few of them help my skin deal with this product much better, so they're important.

Cleanser: MAC Cleanse Off Oil, sometimes followed with or occasionally alternated with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar hydrating cleanser.
Toner: a generic pharmacy brand hydrating glycerin toner, important, but any will do.
Treatment: Wooden Spoon Troubled Skin Serum, a combination of tamanu oil and marula oil with a few essential oils that helps calm down irritation and helps my skin heal faster, I find. This makes a big difference, without it my skin becomes a little irritated by the azelaic acid product.
Treatment: this, after the oil.
Moisturizer: Avene Skin Recovery Cream.
When needed: Cosrx Pimple Master Patches.

In the morning I just wipe my face with hydrating toner on a cotton pad, spray on some more toner, apply sunscreen (Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sunblock, that one also makes a difference, it seems chemical sunscreen breaks me out a little) and then do my make-up.

I use this most nights, and my skin mostly tolerates it, especially when used with an oil or a moisturiser as a buffer, so to speak. Every now and then I need to give my skin a break, though, and just use very mild, bland products - once or twice a week or every other week, perhaps.

So. Would I recommend this? Yes. It has significantly reduced my hormonal acne. Would I repurchase? Already have. Azelaic acid really works for my skin, it seems.

on 5/23/2018 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

For reference I have combo normal to dry skin, with an oily nose. I suffer from papulopustular rosacea on both cheeks that I self manage.

This is a lightweight silicone based lotion that applies and absorbs quickly. I use this with the Hylamide Sensitive Skin serum and have found that with religious use every day (no skipping!) unless I directly do things that cause flare ups (be outside in full sun for extended periods) my skin will not have any inflamed pustules. I still have slight texture problems (bumps) but they never get out of control. In the winter my skin has been looking the best it has ever looked without taking drugs.
On a side note, if I just use the Azelaic acid without the serum, I find the texture of my skin feels a bit rougher - the bumps feel a bit more pronounced but still not fully inflamed or showing signs of fluid. If I don't use the acid, and the serum only the skin texture feel smoother and not not as rough, but bumps sometimes show inflammation. I think it's definitely the combination of the two that work for me.

I’m in complete skin heaven! This is a miracle. My skin was breaking out, had red acne scars, and an uneven skin tone. In two weeks, my skin is absolutely amazing from Azelaic acid. The Ordinary does a great job with this product. My skin handles nothing well and I am stunned. I keep looking in the mirror. I finally understand the term brightening. My acne has disappeared and the redness is fifty percent gone. I use a ten step Korean skin care routine. Son and Park Beauty Water and this product are my holy grails. I use a hydrating essence and moisturizer after using The Ordinary. I’m beyond grateful and happy. Try it!

on 4/14/2018 3:11:00 PM

Compared to Paula’s Choice Azelaic Acid, I definitely prefer The Ordinary Azelaic Acid. I have very sensitive rosacea and acne prone skin. I recently repaired my rosacea and acne by applying The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid every morning and night as a first step. This has cleared up most of the acne and rosacea, but by adding azelaic acid I have been able to get rid of the extra breakouts and notice that my skin immediately stops being red and bumpy. I have tried it without the hyaluronic acid and it is then irritating and itchy feeling. I prefer it to Paula’s Choice because Paula’s Choice is more irritating possibly because Paula’s has BHA in it. The Ordinary leaves my skin much smoother. I only use this at night maybe every other night.

on 2/15/2018 10:07:00 AM

Glory glory Hallelujah!!! This stuff is AMAZING! I use it instead of a moisturizer during the day and it is really effective at soothing my sensitive acne-prone skin. The texture is weird, it's as if it dries too quickly on skin and the more you rub it in, it can start pilling up. HOWEVER, I found a great solution: I layer the Ordinary EUK 134% (which is a great anti-oxidant serum, you only need a drop or two), wait a few minutes and apply this product -- voila! It goes on smooth and you can use as much as you want, it will apply perfectly and won't pill up. If you don't care for layering, the secret is to apply it in tiny portions and not over rub. This product also acts as a foundation primer. Can't recommend this one more!

on 2/10/2018 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love, love, love this product! I have combination skin with a pretty oily t-zone, redness, and slight discoloration. This product has made a big difference in only a short amount of time already. I use it in the morning in combination with The Ordinary's caffeine product and my face looks bright and fresh. This product doesn't dry my face out but rather keeps it looking fresh and not oily throughout the day. It feels lightweight and wonderful. A little definitely goes a long way, too, which is nice, but that hardly matters at this price point; it doesn't set you back to stock up if you need to. The only skin care regimen I had before was using Nivea religiously in the morning and before bed, so that might be why I've noticed such a big difference already since I hadn't been using anything before this to help with my ruddy complexion. I absolutely love it.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I've repurchased this. The price is great, but only lasts 2 months, so factor that in to the cost. This is levels my skin feeling smooth, not tight, but very dry and matte. Of course I use moisturizing products after, so no biggie. It has changed my skin, evening out the discoloration. However nothing beats retinol! The Ordinary sells Retinol 2%. That has made the most impact on my skin feeling smoother, and definitely and quickly decreasing freckles, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation. It's done this in two weeks, but I am able to use it nightly. Can't recommend enough! The bottle with the dropper works great. Looks great with all my face oils (I buy jojoba, sweet almond, and especially argan oil from Amazon for a steal). The dark bottle protects the ingredients from oxidizing. Many, many products at ten times the price have not had the impact that this does at $7

I use it as a primer for my oily and rough skin and it's better than any primer I've tried! It smooths skin and blurs pores, feeling like a silicon based product. I'm not sure to be honest if it's really brightening my skin or making it less red but I can use it as a primer everyday without worrying what negative effects it's having on my skin.

on 12/20/2017 10:42:00 PM

The Ordinary was purchased by Estee Lauder, so it will be interesting to see if prices go up and if the formulas will change. Azelaic Acid is a good antioxidant to use if you have dull or acne prone skin. I love that this moisturizer absorbs quickly and is fragrance free as well! This doesn't tend to feel super moisturizing, so if you have dry skin you will probably want to use this as a supplement to your other moisturizers. This doesn't contain a ton of other ingredients so if you have sensitive skin and are looking for something with Azelaic Acid included this is a great option and affordable to boot! My more detailed review can be seen here: