Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

4.8

on 6/6/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combination/dehydrated with hormonal and sometimes stress-related acne that I have a hard time not picking at.

Now, to preface, I'm not sure exactly what combination of products I'm using is actually doing the work at the moment. I have an idea, of course, but I think it's a combination. Either way, I haven't had skin this nice and clear since I got a severe infection, bordering on sepsis, a couple of years ago and was put on massive amounts of antibiotics. That cleared my skin completely for a while, but it was no fun and antibiotics are HARSH. For the last month or two, though, it's been consistently almost that good, without the side effects.

I think this gem of a product, in combination with a few other things, is what does the magic. All the other products I use have been in my rotation at least slightly longer, but I also feel that a few of them help my skin deal with this product much better, so they're important.

Cleanser: MAC Cleanse Off Oil, sometimes followed with or occasionally alternated with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar hydrating cleanser.
Toner: a generic pharmacy brand hydrating glycerin toner, important, but any will do.
Treatment: Wooden Spoon Troubled Skin Serum, a combination of tamanu oil and marula oil with a few essential oils that helps calm down irritation and helps my skin heal faster, I find. This makes a big difference, without it my skin becomes a little irritated by the azelaic acid product.
Treatment: this, after the oil.
Moisturizer: Avene Skin Recovery Cream.
When needed: Cosrx Pimple Master Patches.

In the morning I just wipe my face with hydrating toner on a cotton pad, spray on some more toner, apply sunscreen (Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sunblock, that one also makes a difference, it seems chemical sunscreen breaks me out a little) and then do my make-up.

I use this most nights, and my skin mostly tolerates it, especially when used with an oil or a moisturiser as a buffer, so to speak. Every now and then I need to give my skin a break, though, and just use very mild, bland products - once or twice a week or every other week, perhaps.

So. Would I recommend this? Yes. It has significantly reduced my hormonal acne. Would I repurchase? Already have. Azelaic acid really works for my skin, it seems.

on 2/15/2018 10:07:00 AM

Glory glory Hallelujah!!! This stuff is AMAZING! I use it instead of a moisturizer during the day and it is really effective at soothing my sensitive acne-prone skin. The texture is weird, it's as if it dries too quickly on skin and the more you rub it in, it can start pilling up. HOWEVER, I found a great solution: I layer the Ordinary EUK 134% (which is a great anti-oxidant serum, you only need a drop or two), wait a few minutes and apply this product -- voila! It goes on smooth and you can use as much as you want, it will apply perfectly and won't pill up. If you don't care for layering, the secret is to apply it in tiny portions and not over rub. This product also acts as a foundation primer. Can't recommend this one more!

on 5/25/2017 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using this with the Niacinamide from The Ordinary. Basically the only things I dislike about it are the matte siliconey feel, and how tricky it can be to spread. The spreadability is solved by dotting it sparingly across my face in sections and quickly working it in.

I've noticed this really ramped up the effect of niacinamide. I doubt I'll ever see my melasma disappear completely (without lasers and really pricey things I'll probably never do), but it makes a decent enough difference for me to keep using it. What it really helps with is healing acne and fading acne pigmentation. It also seems to help my skin redness which isn't super prevalent, but I do get a bit on my cheeks and sides of ,you nostrils. It definitely hasn't broken me out and seems to really help with clearing acne that does pop up rather quickly

on 4/14/2018 3:11:00 PM

Compared to Paula’s Choice Azelaic Acid, I definitely prefer The Ordinary Azelaic Acid. I have very sensitive rosacea and acne prone skin. I recently repaired my rosacea and acne by applying The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid every morning and night as a first step. This has cleared up most of the acne and rosacea, but by adding azelaic acid I have been able to get rid of the extra breakouts and notice that my skin immediately stops being red and bumpy. I have tried it without the hyaluronic acid and it is then irritating and itchy feeling. I prefer it to Paula’s Choice because Paula’s Choice is more irritating possibly because Paula’s has BHA in it. The Ordinary leaves my skin much smoother. I only use this at night maybe every other night.

Video Reviews & Tutorials