Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Filtered by age: 36-43
Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

on 6/6/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combination/dehydrated with hormonal and sometimes stress-related acne that I have a hard time not picking at.

Now, to preface, I'm not sure exactly what combination of products I'm using is actually doing the work at the moment. I have an idea, of course, but I think it's a combination. Either way, I haven't had skin this nice and clear since I got a severe infection, bordering on sepsis, a couple of years ago and was put on massive amounts of antibiotics. That cleared my skin completely for a while, but it was no fun and antibiotics are HARSH. For the last month or two, though, it's been consistently almost that good, without the side effects.

I think this gem of a product, in combination with a few other things, is what does the magic. All the other products I use have been in my rotation at least slightly longer, but I also feel that a few of them help my skin deal with this product much better, so they're important.

Cleanser: MAC Cleanse Off Oil, sometimes followed with or occasionally alternated with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar hydrating cleanser.
Toner: a generic pharmacy brand hydrating glycerin toner, important, but any will do.
Treatment: Wooden Spoon Troubled Skin Serum, a combination of tamanu oil and marula oil with a few essential oils that helps calm down irritation and helps my skin heal faster, I find. This makes a big difference, without it my skin becomes a little irritated by the azelaic acid product.
Treatment: this, after the oil.
Moisturizer: Avene Skin Recovery Cream.
When needed: Cosrx Pimple Master Patches.

In the morning I just wipe my face with hydrating toner on a cotton pad, spray on some more toner, apply sunscreen (Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sunblock, that one also makes a difference, it seems chemical sunscreen breaks me out a little) and then do my make-up.

I use this most nights, and my skin mostly tolerates it, especially when used with an oil or a moisturiser as a buffer, so to speak. Every now and then I need to give my skin a break, though, and just use very mild, bland products - once or twice a week or every other week, perhaps.

So. Would I recommend this? Yes. It has significantly reduced my hormonal acne. Would I repurchase? Already have. Azelaic acid really works for my skin, it seems.

on 4/14/2018 3:11:00 PM

Compared to Paula’s Choice Azelaic Acid, I definitely prefer The Ordinary Azelaic Acid. I have very sensitive rosacea and acne prone skin. I recently repaired my rosacea and acne by applying The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid every morning and night as a first step. This has cleared up most of the acne and rosacea, but by adding azelaic acid I have been able to get rid of the extra breakouts and notice that my skin immediately stops being red and bumpy. I have tried it without the hyaluronic acid and it is then irritating and itchy feeling. I prefer it to Paula’s Choice because Paula’s Choice is more irritating possibly because Paula’s has BHA in it. The Ordinary leaves my skin much smoother. I only use this at night maybe every other night.

on 3/20/2018 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After having a baby last summer my skin went crazy. I've been battling acne, melasma, bouts of oilyness followed by dryness and an overall hormonal hot mess. I've had some success with the granactive retinoid in squalane and SA from this line and wanted to add a few products so that I had a more comprehensive routine for AM and PM. I mix a pea size amount in with either the Moisturizing factors or my sunscreen from EltaMD with niacinamide as well as a drop of squalane in the morning. Yes it may dilute my sunscreen but my skin can only absorb so many layers of products so I do what works for me . This mix applies easily, absorbs quickly and wears well under makeup. No pilling or other issues with texture when I use it this way. On it's own it's a creamy silicone based formula that's thicker than a primer with less slip. I did knock a lippie off for being so cone heavy but so far it hasn't been a problem. I did experience a bit of purging the first few days but my overall skin tone is brighter, clearer and less red around my nose and cheeks. This does cause some slight irritation when applied on its own but it goes away quickly and doesn't cause redness or itching. My only frustration with Deciem in general is that they use a lot of cone, glycerine or castor oil bases that can clog up my skin and will cause more breakouts if I layer on too many of their products. So I have to really pick and choose which ones I think my skin can handle. Some serums with glycerine high up in the ingredient list I won't even try like the buffet. This has been a good addition to my skincare routine though and I'll continue to use it . The dirt cheap price is also great

on 3/10/2018 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I really wanted to like this line. It has a great marketing approach, price points, variety and ingredients. But I had to stop using it when the Niacinamide 10% nearly ruined my skin after one use. It took so much to get it back in shape from the rough textured, tiny raised weezing bumpy mess it turned into, that it's made me leary on the rest of the line. I'd already ordered several products so I decided not to cast away an entire line due to one bad apple. The Azelaic Acid has similar though less disruptive results to my skin but enough for me to quite while I'm ahead. There are too many good items on the market to keep using one that fails you. I'll be giving this away to my niece but I don't think the line is bad, quite the contrary. I just think it's not compatible with my skin for some reason and the results are the same with each product, despite being different items. I'm thinking it's one ingredient that I can't quite single out. Oh well.

on 2/15/2018 10:07:00 AM

Glory glory Hallelujah!!! This stuff is AMAZING! I use it instead of a moisturizer during the day and it is really effective at soothing my sensitive acne-prone skin. The texture is weird, it's as if it dries too quickly on skin and the more you rub it in, it can start pilling up. HOWEVER, I found a great solution: I layer the Ordinary EUK 134% (which is a great anti-oxidant serum, you only need a drop or two), wait a few minutes and apply this product -- voila! It goes on smooth and you can use as much as you want, it will apply perfectly and won't pill up. If you don't care for layering, the secret is to apply it in tiny portions and not over rub. This product also acts as a foundation primer. Can't recommend this one more!

on 12/13/2017 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Have had mild rosacea since I cld remember. Bought it via Hush app after reading reviews here and over at SkincareAddiction thread in Reddit. As soon as the product arrived, I eagerly dabbed it into my cheeks, nose, and chin. A few hours later, the redness actually went away. I would say about 80 percent gone. So grateful I found this info from you all! Yes it stings or burns a bit but it goes away after a few minutes. A must for those who struggle with mild rosacea! Edit: after few months of use.... it doesn’t seem to improve rosacea after daily use. The first day was WOW but afterward slight improvement.

on 9/4/2017 3:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Been using this product for 2-3 months now. Not sure if I see a difference yet in my redness.

on 7/13/2017 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this stuff. In general I'm a big the ordinary fan, because I get to design my own skincare and that is right up my MakeupAlley :)
I use a few product from the ordinary already, the matrixyl, retonoid , alpha arbutin, agireline, vitamin 23% and niacinamide and it just seems to work. My skin has improve so much over the last months, something I haven't been able to achieve buying much more expensive products.
The azelaic acid is the last addition to my skincare regime and it has done wonders. I have very dry skin and redness. Not roscea but plain irritating redness that shines through almost all makeup. Since I started using the ordinary products, it has gotten better, not flaming red anymore just red. I then added this and it's magic. I apply this in the morning, after other products and within minutes my redness fades and on good days, disappears all together. I goes on easily and smooths out the skin, not need for a primer. I have to wait a few minutes before applying foundation or I will experience pilling, but after those minutes makeup glides on beautifully.
I have noticed that my redness over all is not a servere as I was before starting using the azelaic azid so I believe I'm seeing more long term benefits as well.
Super affordable, doesn't dry out my other wise dry skin as long as I use it in conjunction with a good moisturizer.
I would hightly recommend this to anyone with similar skin issues, at that price it's worth trying it out.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I went on quite a spree at the Ordinary shop in London but I have not opened any other products yet. Several years ago I was a keen user of azelaic acid in my routine but it got pushed aside by other, more exciting products. With this ointment like silicone cream from The Ordinary and 10% concentration - it is time to bring it back!

Azelaic acid works well for my pigmentation (I have gained some over last 39 years despite almost a religious using of a 50 spf sunscreen!), diminishes any post pimple scarring that I have (luckily not much but there are a couple of these pesky darker spots where an old pimple has healed) and some redness that I have in my cheeks. I also like that it has some antioxydative effects too.

It can be a bit drying, especially that this formula comes in a thick, white, very silicone but quite hard to spread cream. One needs to act quickly and after it sinks in, to put some other, more moisturising cream on top. I use it every second night (be careful as it can discolour the pillowcases!) and so far I have noticed a nice smoothness to my skin, a bit less blackheads but not any lightening of my pigmentation freckles yet.

So far then, I'm giving it 3 lippies = good packaging, price and accessibility (in Poland there are many creams with that ingredient in quite high doses available over the counter, not in Scotland). As for results, I'll need to wait at least 8 weeks or at least to finish off my first tube.

on 5/25/2017 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using this with the Niacinamide from The Ordinary. Basically the only things I dislike about it are the matte siliconey feel, and how tricky it can be to spread. The spreadability is solved by dotting it sparingly across my face in sections and quickly working it in.

I've noticed this really ramped up the effect of niacinamide. I doubt I'll ever see my melasma disappear completely (without lasers and really pricey things I'll probably never do), but it makes a decent enough difference for me to keep using it. What it really helps with is healing acne and fading acne pigmentation. It also seems to help my skin redness which isn't super prevalent, but I do get a bit on my cheeks and sides of ,you nostrils. It definitely hasn't broken me out and seems to really help with clearing acne that does pop up rather quickly