Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 25-29
Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

3.2

on 7/5/2017 11:56:00 PM

I've been having a few issues with my skin lately. It's winter here in Melbourne, Australia, and has been dry and cold. On top of that, I've just moved house, my husband has had major surgery and work has been ridiculously busy. And boy, oh boy, my skin was definitely paying the price.

I've had a huge eczema flare up on my eyelids, rosacea on my cheeks, forehead and nose, as well as some super sexy underground pimples along my jawline.

Three weeks ago, I chucked The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension in my ASOS cart on a whim. When it arrived I dotted it over my face and said a little prayer to the skin gods that it wouldn't break me out. Lo and behold I saw my redness go down in front of my very eyes!! I couldn't believe it!

I've been using this consistently every night before bed, followed by rosehip oil. My rosacea is gone, my flushing and blotchiness has settled down to a normal level, I only have one underground jaw pimple (and it's that time of the month!). I have never used something this instantly effective in my life.

The cream feels sort of ointment like, it is thick and not too slippy. I dot it on my forehead, cheeks, nose and chin and rub in quickly and gently. It leaves a silky matte finish on the skin and has no detectable fragrance of any sort. I haven't worn it under makeup so can't speak to that, but I am getting great results from nightly use.

This has been an absolute game changer for me, I can't imagine ever going without it again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Skin type: sensitive dehydrated acne-prone skin, oily t-zone and dry cheeks that can get flaky when I go too crazy with acids (sounds lovely I know)

Currently really liking this one! I found it helped heal some of the congestion in my skin, as well as some minor breakouts. Definitely see some slight brightening effects from this, although I am using in conjunction with other brightening products. I'm so glad The Ordinary came out with an affordable azelaic acid, it's pretty hard to find in Canada. I didn't have any initial breakout with this, and I usually have some sort of initial breakout when start a new product (just my weird skin which doesn't do well with change). The one thing I don't really like with this product is the weird matte, primer-like texture, which I assume is because of the silicones. Some of my skincare products don't layer well over it, but I don't really want to put it as my last step cause it feels like it won't absorb as well. I haven't had any issues using it under my bb creams/ foundations, which all have satin or semi-matte finishes.

Overall a great product for acne-prone skin, and I am definitely repurchasing this!

Edit: updated to 5 stars, this is seriously helping smooth over my textured skin! A lot of my pitted scars are evening out and I'm pretty sure it's this particular acid that's doing most of the work. Will repurchase forever and I hope they never discontinue this!

on 5/5/2017 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Somewhat dried out some existing inflammatory breakouts I was experiencing, but broke me out everywhere else and left my skin very red. I don't do well with silicones so this wasn't a huge surprise, but I was hoping that at least one product I'd ordered from The Ordinary would work as intended...

on 5/24/2018 7:46:00 AM

I'm not sure if I see any results. What I'm sure about - don't try to layer other products on this. I did and it piled up pretty badly.

on 11/17/2017 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Sadly, this didn't do anything for my skin. I've given it a few go a few times, but never stuck with it long-term since I see no improvement of my skin whatsoever. I used and adored the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (EU version without benzoyl peroxide) for several years, but wanted to replace it with a cruelty free product. Sadly, this wasn't it. I actually bought it on the recommendation of Wayne Goss (the first time I heard about this company, before it exploded all over social media/youtube in particular), and needless to say I had high expectations. I'm acne prone and extremely prone to closed comedones, and this product didn't improve my skin texture in the slightest. If anything the silicone-y texture feels like it may be clogging in and of itself. I already smother my skin with silicone primers during the day, I'd rather not do the same during the night, to be honest.

On the flip side - when the price is this low, you can afford to take a gamble and lose. If this works for you, then I can only congratulate you, because what a bargain.