Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

3.7

on 10/26/2018 12:16:00 PM

Really like this product - helps to brighten my skin tone. I am oily and have mini breakouts regularly - I find this really helps to heal my breakouts and even out my skin tone. I think to get the full benefit it is important to ensure you exfoliate your skin regularly (in combination with a regular cleanse, tone and moisturise regime) otherwise it won’t make much difference to dead skin cells. For the price, it’s a good pick me up for the skin.

I initially was super into this bc it definitely brightened my skin, however after a couple of months I was noticing tiny...papules I guess would be the most accurate description on my skin - not everywhere, just a couple on my face? They would surface and go within a couple of days, then come back! It was weird.

So I stopped using it for a day and it literally stopped...so I don't know - it might be fine for people with non-acne prone skin?
My skin is combo. Pretty disappointed bc the price is so great, I might try the Paula's Choice one but worried the same thing might happen anyway!

on 10/13/2018 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was willing to give this a shot given that I’ve used azelaic acid in prescription form before. The price point is great and the design of the whole Ordinary line is visually appealing. But as for results- this is supposed to improve visible brightness and the appearance of skin texture, both things my skin needs- this did not deliver. I didn’t care for the nutty scent, which seems to have dissipated over time, nor did I care about the constant balling up. Blobs of this product remained on my fingers as I unsuccessfully tried to smooth this over my face without it pilling everywhere. After yet another catastrophic failure with this product after prepping my face with several other products, I’m done. I’m not going to waste any more time trying to baby this so it won’t ruin the rest of my skincare routine. I wouldn’t buy anything else from this line even if it remained in business.

on 10/12/2018 9:11:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I use several Deciem products but this is one of my absolute favourites. It goes on so easily, never greasy or rubbery. Just a smooth, soothing cream / serum that goes on beautifully over my Matrixyl and under my daily SPF. I really hope the recent news of Deciem closing shop isn’t true.

Was pleasantly surprised by how amazing this product is!! It feels incredible on the skin, smoothes it out beautifully once applied, leaving a finish similar, if not better, than most actual primers I've tried (and believe me, I've tried many!) - even though it's advertized as a serum only!
The finish is matte, but since I wear it underneath a moisturizer, that's not an issue for me.
Thank you, The Ordinary, for being so original (azelaic acid!) in a product formulation, straightforward as to offer products that give our skin substances it truly loves (because this is just one example!), and let alone, for being so affordable!
Couldn't recommend your brand more!

on 9/30/2018 9:06:00 AM

It is an exceptionally elegant medical grade Azelaic Acid formula for an excellent price.

Comparing it to Finacea (15% Azelaic Acid) and Skinoren (20% Azelaic Acid), it is definitely a winner when it comes to finish on the skin and mildness while delivering the same results without the excessive irritation that a higher concentration Azelaic Acid product could do.

Where Deciem did a good job is selecting very mild emollients (Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone) and leaving out glycols in all forms creating a superior product that is non-penetrating and mild and will deliver the Azelaic Acid also in a more time-release manner: slower, over time. This will also provide a longer lasting effect on the skin.

The inclusion of silicone raw-materials (Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer and Polysilicone-11) will also aid the time-release delivery and will provide elegance to the product.

Azelaic Acid will aid the healing of inflammation and also counteract acne (and rosacea). It is an alpha-hydroxy acid that is naturally found in corn having excellent exfoliating, anti-inflammatory and strong anti-oxidant properties when applied topically.

The formula from The Ordinary does deliver both on clearing acne and also hyper-pigmentation.

What I miss is a bit more fluidity that would aid an easier application providing more slip.

I would recommend using the product only if you have problems with acne or rosacea. Starting applying it sparingly twice a week to begin with and increasing application to once (or even twice) a day. Apply always on clean and dry skin and only the smallest amount. This formula is easily absorbed and allows the application of a moisturizer immediately.
I did not experience problems in the form of balling/pilling after application of other products.

In case of sever acne, it can be combined with retinol/tretinoin at night and Azelaic Acid in the morning. You should be well accustomed to both actives before using them simultaneously! The irritation potential of using them in combination is increased several folds.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone, Azelaic Acid, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polysilicone-11, Isohexadecane, Tocopherol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Isoceteth-20, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 9/5/2018 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

Love love love azelaid acid! It's very comfortable going on and leaves a smooth, matte finish like a primer for foundation. It's gentle, yet works well to reduce acne and textures on your skin. A keeper.

on 8/14/2018 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This didn't do a whole lot other than even out my skintone, but for the price and since it's the only azelaic acid product I can get my hands on I will buy it again. I did quickly notice my redness go down and my skin always feels very soft, but it has done little about my hormonal acne. It's hard to spread so you need to use quite a large amount and will run out quickly but for the price I definitely think it's worth what it does, I'll just have to find another product for my acne.

on 6/15/2018 12:12:00 AM

Oh how I wanted to like this stuff! I have used prescription azelaic acid (Finacea) and it was great for my skin, but the co-pays are obscene. So hoping that this lower strength formula would work for me. Unfortunately the formulation is very very drying. It seems to have mattifying agents in it, unlike the Finacea gel formula. It felt very uncomfortable on my face despite being 10% vs. the 15% in the Finacea gel.

If you have really oily skin you might like this formula, but if you are using it with rosacea prone normal to dry skin, beware. I wish The Ordinary would make this in a formula that is not so drying!

on 6/6/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combination/dehydrated with hormonal and sometimes stress-related acne that I have a hard time not picking at.

Now, to preface, I'm not sure exactly what combination of products I'm using is actually doing the work at the moment. I have an idea, of course, but I think it's a combination. Either way, I haven't had skin this nice and clear since I got a severe infection, bordering on sepsis, a couple of years ago and was put on massive amounts of antibiotics. That cleared my skin completely for a while, but it was no fun and antibiotics are HARSH. For the last month or two, though, it's been consistently almost that good, without the side effects.

I think this gem of a product, in combination with a few other things, is what does the magic. All the other products I use have been in my rotation at least slightly longer, but I also feel that a few of them help my skin deal with this product much better, so they're important.

Cleanser: MAC Cleanse Off Oil, sometimes followed with or occasionally alternated with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar hydrating cleanser.
Toner: a generic pharmacy brand hydrating glycerin toner, important, but any will do.
Treatment: Wooden Spoon Troubled Skin Serum, a combination of tamanu oil and marula oil with a few essential oils that helps calm down irritation and helps my skin heal faster, I find. This makes a big difference, without it my skin becomes a little irritated by the azelaic acid product.
Treatment: this, after the oil.
Moisturizer: Avene Skin Recovery Cream.
When needed: Cosrx Pimple Master Patches.

In the morning I just wipe my face with hydrating toner on a cotton pad, spray on some more toner, apply sunscreen (Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sunblock, that one also makes a difference, it seems chemical sunscreen breaks me out a little) and then do my make-up.

I use this most nights, and my skin mostly tolerates it, especially when used with an oil or a moisturiser as a buffer, so to speak. Every now and then I need to give my skin a break, though, and just use very mild, bland products - once or twice a week or every other week, perhaps.

So. Would I recommend this? Yes. It has significantly reduced my hormonal acne. Would I repurchase? Already have. Azelaic acid really works for my skin, it seems.