Coloured Raine Queen of Hearts Palette

No Image

4.5

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

The Queen Of Hearts palette was limited edition, but proved so popular that it is coming back as a permanent palette at the end of August [you can now pre-order it on the Coloured Raine site], so I figure that now would be a good time to leave a review…

The Queen Of Hearts palette contains 12 warm toned powder shadows, six of which are matte, and the other six having some kind of shimmer or metallic finish; Crown [Pearlescent White with Gold Undertone], Royal Highness [Metallic Purple Toned Taupe], Your Majesty [Rich Metallic Copper with Gold Reflect], Princess [Matte Blushed Pink], Empress [Vibrant Matte Orange], Queen Mother [Metallic Plum with Lavender Hues], Heir [Matte Peach], Royal Prerogative [Matte Terracotta], Noblewoman [Metallic Burgundy with Purple Undertones], Ladyship [Matte Vivid Purple], Duchess  [Matte Milk Chocolate Brown] and Dethrone [Sparkling Espresso with Gold Reflect].

The mix of matte and shimmer shades make it easy to pair together for looks; you can pick and mix from anywhere in the palette, but pairing any matte [crease] and metallic [lid] together is a quick and easy option if you feel a bit overwhelmed when you first get it. The shades are just perfect for my current tastes - it's sort of like someone took my favourite shades from Modern Renaissance and Naked Heat [none of the shades are a outright dupe or anything]. We get a nice mix of pretty warm-yet-neutral tones for more toned-down 'everyday' work looks, then it is extremely easy to add one or two of the more punchy shades when I want to take my look up a notch [I find myself gravitating towards Empress all of the time, to be honest. Queen Mother is another favourite].

The quality of all of the shadows is very good; highly pigmented, smooth to apply, easy to blend & build up, plus crease resistant - and I rarely use eyeshadow primer. There isn't much fallout, and the shimmer doesn't migrate around my eyes during the day. There is a bit of kick-up when I dip my brush into the pan, but I believe that most good-to-high quality shadows do as they're softer, so I don't think of kick-up as being a negative. I've now used every shade in the palette at least once, and can't think of any niggles, or outright complaints.

At first I did think that Queen Of Hearts was a really pricey palette, but now after really getting a little while to look at the sizes of the pans [nearly full-sized] and play around with them & experience the high quality of the formulas, I now think we are getting good value here = around $4.16 per shadow. Not the cheapest, but a good investment.

on 1/17/2017 2:38:00 PM

This a great palette, up there with ABH's Modern Renaissance (only from what I hear) and Natasha Denona's Star palette (but with less color combos and a little more work to pull of looks). Definitely worth getting and good pigmentation and wearing time, great for the price. Packaging is very pretty, but it is typical hard cardboard palette, bu with a mirror, so a plus for many.