NYX Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder

NYX Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder

3.9

I was looking for an inexpensive lavender highlighter since it is hard to find. I thought this was a good dupe for the Becca and Anastasia highlighters, though the texture is more powdery. It just needs a good setting spray and needs to be used very sparingly. Still a good product for the price. Since highlighter is not an item that I would want to spend $40-$50 on, this was a good alternative. I also like to use this over dark eyeshadows to tone them down. I would repurchase the lavender shade, but probably not the others as they do not compare to my The Balm Lou-Manizer highlighters.

on 8/29/2017 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This is pretty expensive for a drugstore highlighter. However, I like it a lot. I like a dramatic highlighter, and this is perfect for that. The shade I got is Twilight Tint, which is a cool white; if you have warm skin, you might not want this shade, as it will probably pull weirdly greyish or blueish on you. But if you are super pale or cool skinned, and looking for a highlighter that will show up you, this will probably work. The reflective duochrome makes it look wet when applied, and so beautiful. It also allows the highlight to look somehow natural-ish, even if you put on a lot. This is the favorite drugstore highlighter that I've tried.

on 4/23/2017 5:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I bought this in Twilight Tint on a haul durning a NYX sale. With this, there are so many things to love about this; and just one negative which sadly outweighs the positives. The color is absolutely beautiful. A soft, shimmering highlight with a Duochrome pop of blue buildable for a more intense sparkle. Applied easily with a dual fibre brush. So many positives. Sadly, I am violently allergic to something in this. It left a swollen red patch wherever applied. If you're sensitive to certain ingredients, maybe try a patch test and buy from somewhere with a generous return policy.

on 3/30/2017 2:10:00 PM

I bought this in color Snow Rose. A very pretty shade, like a cool gold with pink reflects. The highlighter is less pigmented than my HE items, but I can probably build it up to an intense level w/ a damp beauty blender. Overall it's a unique item in my collection & I got it at a discount (birthday coupon) w/ free shipping from the site. I just wanted to update that Snow Rose is a good dupe for the Pink Opal shade from the KvD Alchemy pallet

on 4/23/2017 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I bought this in Lavender Steel in lieu of the Becca Amethyst; heard feedback that the Becca was more pink than purple, and given I wanted purple and the huge cost difference, I went for the NYX. (Yes, the Becca packaging and presentation are pretty, but no one sees that when I wear it.)

I do have the Moonchild palette; this is very different from Purple Horseshoe in that palette. Purple Horseshoe is very cool, bluish; Lavender Steel is lilac but with a strong pinkish cast. Not surprisingly, Horseshoe is more buttery, the NYX is drier, but can be built.

Actually, so far my favorite way to use this is as a topper over eyeshadow; gives a lovely iridescent glow.

on 7/29/2017 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

So I realized yesterday that in changing around my makeup room, that I had lost this and it put me in a panic.
This is by far my favorite drug store highlighter. The shift of colors is very dramatic and glows for the gods. It doesn't have alot of kickback but has really good pigmentation so that is amazing.

It has a very large pan so I think it would last a very long time.
It's never broken me out and it is light and airy on the face.

If you want a drug store, cruelty free highlight, look no more

on 3/26/2017 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I LOVE this product. I have all the colours, except the blue/Twlight one which I am thinking of getting as well. They serve as a dupe for the ABH moonchild palette which I can't get my hands on (ABH charges too much for shipping/customs to Canada imo). I have so many highlighters and reach for these over the rest of my high-end ones.

I love the sheen that these give and you really can't over do it. They look dark in the pan but they really aren't.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: snow rose

PROS

- pretty shade

CONS

- dry
- not very reflective

COMMENTS: Pretty pink shade, but not very reflective. It just didn't do it for me, even after I applied it wet. I wasn't too fond of the formula as I found it to be on the drier side.

Will not repurchase.

on 3/7/2017 9:44:00 PM

LAVENDER STEEL: this is a really nice light purple highlight. This is a first for me as I usually go for more natural highlights. I really like this, it's pigmented and not glittery. I tend to start out pretty light handed and build up slowly until I reach the amount I want.

SNOW ROSE: this one is more pigmented that the lavender steel. It's absolutely beautiful. It's a nice pink shade without being too pink(the other pinks in this line scared me because they look like blush). I really love this formula. It's nice and buttery and not glittery.
I'm definitely going to pick up twilight tint (the blue one)

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I honestly never knew this product existed until I took a trip to my local NYX store. When I first saw this product, I was automatically intrigued in the shade Synthetica. I swatched it in store and instantly fell in love. Once I got home I instantly whipped out my favorite fan brush order to apply it. After swatching it in store, I thought that this product was going the be insanely pigmented on a brush, so that's why I reached for a fan brush instead of a dense brush. I was very disappointed to see that not a lot of pigment picked up onto the brush and even less pigment transferred from the brush to my cheeks. It did apply better with a dense brush, so my advice would be to not be scared to go in on the highlighter with a dense brush. It is buildable, but it does take time. The end result wasn't really that duo chromatic, but I decided to keep this product because it give a nice golden sheen. Itt looks more duo chromatic when used as an eyeshadow. The price isn't that bad because its only $8, but I honestly don't see myself repurchasing this anytime soon. It seems that the lighter shades seem to be the better shades, but I cant speak from personal experience since I haven't purchased any of the lighter shades.