wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.3

This is a decent drugstore foundation in my own opinion. I have been searching for this foundation for months and alas it finally arrived in Canada and Walmart has fully restocked their shelves with this foundation.

I got mine in two shades Buff Bisque (Light/Medium Neutral) and Soft Beige (Light/Medium Warm). I am MAC NC 20 - 25 and I find that these two shades work pretty well for me. However, I am loving how the Buff Bisque matches me quite better.

I have a dry combination skin that gets worse during the winter months. If you are a dry skin gal, please prep your skin pretty well with this foundation. It is very POWDERY!

I knew from the get go that this will be drying and I made sure that I used a beauty oil and a moisturizing sun block with my skin care routine. I also used FIX+ before and after makeup application.

The coverage is light - medium buildable but has the tendency to get cakey if you don't layer carefully.

Overall, it is a great foundation for combo and not too oily skin gals once your oils mixes with the foundation.
I got this for $ 7.49 CAD at Walmart - not too bad

I hope this review helps.

P.S. Anyone complaining about the Spatula applicator, please bear in mind ladies. You don't pour out your concealer in a dish. You're actually dipping back your doe foot applicator in and out of the concealer tube all the time and you are still alive, just saying.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Man, I'm bummed. I really thought I'd love this foundation, seeing as I have hero worship for their Coverall Creme. I bought Coverall as soon as it came out and haven't so much as glanced at another foundation in 4 years. But then Wet 'n' Wild releases a new one. So, logically, if Coverall is my $4 love, then Photo Focus will probably walk on water or cure cancer, right? I digress, but I had high hopes for this.

To be clear, I think this foundation can work for specific people. But-but... Coverall just works for almost every skin type, issue, and need under the sun. Oh well. It's not a bad foundation, it's just not my favorite.

The coverage itself is pretty negligible. If you have off skin like I do (acne, pitting, scarring and the like) you will need a heavy duty concealer (I'd rec Hard Candy Glamoflague for this). But the finish itself is pretty impressive. It's a very natural looking foundation. It dried to a matte finish, and only upon close examination is it obvious that I'm wearing product.

Despite the matte finish, I'm an oily-skinned gal, so I'm pretty cautious. When testing this foundation, I always set it with powder. Same results. After about 6-8 hours, there's consistent fading around my nose and chin. I've tried different powders, primers, methods of application... it still fades.

On the plus side, it didn't appear to irritate my stupid sensitive skin, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. I'm starting to think if I stare too hard at my face, I'll breakout.

And it does look beautiful in photography. Nary a flashback in sight. This was also pretty impressive too. I'm super pale, my natural skintone alone probably looks like flashback. But whatever, I looked nice in photos. Can't complain.

Overall, I wouldn't buy unless you're normal to dry skinned with relatively few flaws. But if you wanna give it a go, it's only $5. I love Wet 'n' Wild for that, the day they raise their prices is probably the day I'll pass Calculus. So... never.

I think I'll keep it around for special events where I know pictures will be taken. Or a hot revenge selfie sent to my ex. Take your pick, it'll work for both.

on 6/26/2017 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This foundation is NOT for textured skin, if you have flaws, acne scars, discoloration, dry patches. Just skip this one. Granted, this foundations DOES look amazing in photos, it looks cakey in real life. The formula is sheer and can be built to medium coverage with lots of coats and it dries down with a heavy feel to it. *Scent!! It literally smells like a bucket of Sherwin Williams house paint! Not kidding. I applied 3 coats on my cheeks since I have acne scars on that area and when I was in the sunlight I realized this foundation enhanced every one of my pores and made my skin look "rough" like when you haven't exfoliated for a while. And the pores on my nose where gigantic craters, not cute!

I would recommend as an alternative for photography makeup but in real life this foundation does not provide much coverage and ends up feeling and looking cakey. Hard pass for me and my acne scars.

on 2/14/2017 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I think I've finally my holy grail foundation. My skin is normal/combo mostly, prone to dry areas on the cheeks and oilier around the sides of the nose and t zone. I have big pores and dark spots/scarring in spots. Nothing severe.
The color match is good, the coverage is good, I've applied with both damp sponge & brush and coverage is good both ways. Its not streaky, cake like and looks surprisingly natural. It doesn't settle into my pores or emphasize them. It doesn't settle into my fine lines either.
It does smell like paint tho. And its very liquidy. I actually like the spatula that comes with it. The finish is matte so if you're dry skinned this might not be for you.

UPDATE 4/17/17
I have to lower my review, unfortunately. It's now starting to look very textured and drying on my face. And i really did want to love this but its not working well for me anymore... So I shall continue my foundation hunt.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’ve now been using my beloved Dior Forever for a few years and had no intention of straying. I assumed the hype over this foundation would die down as time went on but after continuing to see raves I decided to give it a shot. Mainly out of curiosity.
I really love this stuff. I wear shade 23 in the Dior and purchased this in buff bisque.
I often mix my foundation with a moisturizer or silicone-based serum - the latter works beautifully with this (haven’t tried regular moisturizer with it yet), provides decent coverage and an incredibly smooth finish that lasts all day.
I’ve actually been reaching for it exclusively since I purchased, and my Foreverskin has taken a backseat. Never thought I’d see the day I’d be wearing a Wet n’ Wild foundation, due to past experiences with them, but this one is a true winner!

I really like this foundation! Close to an HG drugstore foundation in my opinion. I'm a BB cream woman on a daily basis because any foundation that has oil, oxidizes and turns orange or darker on me. But when photos need to be taken, I tend to op for foundations to avoid camera flashbacks. This foundation gives medium to full semi matte finish depending on how much you apply. I wear this foundation with a primer and a setting spray and it makes skin looks flawless on camera. This foundation do however oxides a little but does not turn orange. I wear shade Soft Beige which is a light warm shade(yellow undertone). I will say this, the only con about this foundation is that it does not last all day. It starts to wear off and makes my skin somewhat oily and only lasts 4hrs at the most for me even with setting spray. So I'm not quite sure if this would work with oily skin. And with regards to the smell, it smells like any other drugstore foundation but it does not linger. So if you're looking for something drugstore, inexpensive, looks good on photos and don't care so much about lasting power, give this foundation a try!

More about my Skin Type and Other Concerns: Light-Medium, Neutral-Warm (yellow) undertone, tans easily (hardly burns), easily irritated, clear/no breakouts(only during menstrual cycle), dry-combination and very little to no wrinkles.

Other foundations tried or did not like either because it oxidized(orange), made my skin oily, or has a pink undertone regardless of how warm and yellow it claims to be: Urban Decay(worst highend), Nars Sheer Matte, Kat Von D Lock It, Cover Girl, Revlon, Almay, Laura Mercier, L'Oreal, Prescriptives, Bourjois, Maybelline(Worst drugstore found), MAC, Chanel, Christian Dior, Cargo, Shiseido, IMAN, Make Up For Ever

MY Shades in other foundations:
Estee Lauder: Double Wear Rattan 2W2
Kat Von D: Medium 52
MAC: NC-30/35
Christian Dior: Linen 021
Urban Decay: 2
Laura Mercier: 3(Powder Foundation), Sunny Beige(Liquid), Ochre Tinted Moisturizer
Nars: Ceylan
Chanel: 40 or 50
Shiseido: O20 or O40 (Ochre)
L'Oreal: Nude Beige
Bourjois: 52 Vanille
Revlon: Buff Beige
IMAN: Sand 3
Covergirl: Nude Beige 832
Cargo: F-50 (tanned summer shade)
Make Up For Ever: HD Invisible (120), Mat Velvet (No.40), Face&Body (Alabaster Beige 32)

on 8/7/2017 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This has been a surprisingly great foundation. As many have noted before, this sells for about $5.99 everywhere (CVS, Walmart, etc…) It comes in 20 shades. I have never picked up a foundation from WnW and since it was marketed as a foundation for “selfies” I figured it was targeted to younger generation who do not have my mature, dry, sensitive skin with wrinkle issues. So, I passed. Then I saw a Youtuber who reviews products for mature skin, and she really liked it. So, given the low price point, I purchased the foundation. I first purchased one a bit too light. I gave that one to my sister, who is a bit lighter then I am and purchased Dessert Beige which is a perfect match for me (I am an NC 45 for reference.) My regular routine is to apply moisturizing essence, then an oil, eye cream, light moisturizer, Jelly Pack primer, then sun block prior to my foundation. (Yep, I know it’s a lot but I am doing that 10 step K-beauty thing and really like it.) The bottom line is I do a lot of hydrating my skin prior to applying foundation which I mention for the gals with dry skin. This foundation is square and it has this paddle thing attached to the top. I really don’t get that; why not just give us a pump? Anyway, I smear the fluid from the paddle to my fingers, rub my fingers together and then smooth it on to my face. It really disappears into my skin. Up close in my magnifying mirror, I can still see my skin under the foundation with some age spots. But when you step back and look in the mirror my skin looks flawless. My pores are gone and everything looks even but not too “done”. I do use concealer (the UD Naked Skin concealer works really well with this and so does the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind, try to stick with a moisturizing concealer as anything to heavy will not work well with this foundation.) I finish with setting powder and it looks amazing. No shiny breakthrough but does not look flat. It lasts all day for me and I have had no issues with skin sensitivity or break-outs. I like this better than the Tart Rainforest one which was my fav until this one came along. The “paint-like” smell is noticeable when you open the bottle and first apply, but does go away quickly. I really like how this product performs on my skin and how easy it is to find it. The bottle name has a description on it (Dessert Beige- Medium Dark Warm), that will help with color selection. I really like this foundation and would recommend it. My sister loves hers as well. I will repurchase this.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Purchased as I was looking for a cruelty free, well priced foundation. Purchased on line. Had concern that the porcelain color would be too yellow from the photo on line but was perfect to use for cool toned very fair skin. Was very surprised how well the color matched. Much better than many high end foundations.

Formula is thick and I have very dry skin. I used a primer over moisturizer. Applied with fingers to control amount of foundation. Buffed with a blender sponge by Tarte. Looked amazing. What truly surprised me is that it lasted all day. Most foundations I've used disappear into my skin before my day is over.

Highly recommend

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I'm currently loving this foundation for my eyeryday use! It's inexpensive and I don't feel guilty using it for work everyday. It has a nice thin liquid texture, looks really natural on the skin, and very build-able. It lasts well throughout the work day on me without breaking up, and when I use a setting powder it looks just as fresh as in the morning. I have normal to dry skin and this doesn't look cakey on me. For reference I'm about a nc35 in mac and I use the shade golden beige. It's perfect!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After seeing the YouTube hype on this product was pumped to try it. Wet n' wild has been coming out with some awesome products I love! However, after trying this foundation a good 10 times now in all kinds of ways to try and make it work (with all kinds of primers, applications and setting powders - even their photofocus powder), I've gotta say I don't plan to repurchase. I have super oily skin around my t-zone, acne-prone, but dry skin around my mouth and cheeks, so I get the best of both worlds haha. I got the shade golden beige and loved the great yellow undertone for my olive skin, and applying the foundation was easy. At first the application looks great, not matte or dewy, sort in-between, but it doesn't fully dry down, leaves a kind of tacky feeling on your face and you can't apply too much powder unless you wanna look cakey. In addition, it transfers LIKE CRAZY. If I even slightly touch my face I leave foundation fingerprints all over my papers in class, and I wouldn't dare hug someone or lay down on a pillow with this on. And finally, within an hour I am an oil slick. My face looks insanely greasy, the foundation separates, oxidizes, and worst of all it clings on like crazy to the small amount of dry patches on my face. The other day my roommate unknowingly thought I rubbed something on my face and told me to lick my finger and rub it off, and when I went to go look in the mirror I realized my skin texture looked awful, like I had a ton of orange dry patches the foundation was clinging on. It just doesn't look good after initial application and has also begun breaking me out :( I tried so hard to like it and I do love the price and packaging, but it has too many cons to continue using. I'm gonna stick to my L'Oreal Infallible pro-matte for sure.