Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Relaxed
Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation
Photo Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus Foundation

3.0

on 8/23/2017 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i've worn this daily for a week and i like it okay so far. seems really similar to the NARS sheer glow foundation in coverage + finish, though this stays tacky for a really long time, and this also looks cakier than the NARS does when you build it up.

the paint smell is off-putting but it reminds me of the coverall foundation if i remember correctly - classic wnw lol. it does dissipate really quickly. i wonder what ingredient makes it smell the way it does. either way it's not something that really bothers me as it's not something you have to deal with all day long. it does go away almost immediately.

the cap is great, i love the grooves in the glass that help the lid click into place. i feel like it's really sturdy and wont pop open in a bag. but i reeeeally don't like the spatula, it feels kind of messy to me. idk. like having a giant bottle of nail polish and smearing the brush all over your face. i'm always worried something's going to drip off of it. between the spatula and nothing at all, i think i'd prefer nothing. but i just put some foundation on the back of my hand to pick up and apply to my face with my fingers and that seems to work just fine.

finish is just okay, stays put throughout the day for the most part. when it rubs off though, it's really difficult to blend back in. also, if your skin is too dry before applying this, it looks bizarre - the first time i tried it i looked like an IRL version of a grainy iphone selfie. since then i've learned that it needs to go on top of a moisturizer, and probably with a beauty blender if you personally have dry skin (i'm normal/combo so i'm fine with brush application for now). btw - if using a brush, apply in very thin layers and only build up in areas where you want coverage specifically! that'll help the finish look more natural. i will say that i much prefer to powder my whole face after putting this foundation on since it's so tacky for so long after application, so i don't know if the foundation itself tends to emphasize pores or texture since my powder tends do do quite a bit of blurring on its own.

i'm surprised at how much lighter drugstore foundations have gotten in recent years; to be fair i try to buy CF as often as possible and for some reason CF brands seem to have smaller ranges than other brands do? wnw, elf, nyx, i feel like they're all notorious among really light makeup wearers as being orangier than other lines and just generally having smaller shade ranges than other brands do. anyway, i'm about NC10, i really love NARS siberia on me, and i got this in porcelain. it is a ~hair~ orange but i'm not so picky as to say it's unwearable, it's so very close to perfect. the shade depth is almost identical to siberia, it's just a little orange, which is the problem i usually run into with foundations because i don't have warm skin. i'm just yellow lol. anyway, if you enjoy NARS siberia then you will probably be able to get away with this.

overall i do like this stuff a lot! could be a little better but for $6, as long as it doesn't break me out, i dont see myself rushing back to sephora to try anything else any time soon. i hope to figure out how to best work with it over the coming months and when i finish my bottle i will definitely come back to update my thoughts on it here~

update 10.08.17 - still really enjoying this stuff. it stays quite matte on me all day long, so i can't imagine someone with dry skin enjoying this foundation very much. but i prefer matte formulations so i love how fresh this stays looking all day~ coverage i would say is a solid medium and slightly buildable.
some cons i've encountered since i first reviewed this product - the opening of the bottle gets so gross and gunked up with product! fortunately it's easy to wipe away, but..gosh it's so unpleasant to look at lol.
ALSO, this absolutely, unequivocally, 100% has flashback on me. i took a photo of myself with just this and nothing else on, and i had major ghostface. and i know it's not my powder because on other foundations, my powder does not give me flashback (and it's not an HD powder anyway). not a dealbreaker for me but ffs, i thought this was supposed to be good for photos !

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

(FOR REFERENCE I HAVE COMBINATION/OILY SKIN)
With this product all I can say is: Less is definitely more.
Following what I read here, I dabbed teeny tiny amounts of this with the spatula all over my face and proceeded to blend with a damp sponge in a downward motion. The coverage was pretty impressive and natural looking in my opinion. I even applied this underneath my eyes as a concealer, and didn't set it with a powder. Even though it had a tacky feeling I trusted the foundation and it did not budge throughout the day (I even went to the beach wearing this and it stayed put).
I feel like if you apply more than one layer of this, it will look very cakey and weird. The consistency is light and watery but it sets down to a powder satin finish.
Now for the many cons: The smell is just like house paint, no exaggeration and no joke.
Even though I have pale skin with strong yellow undertones, it was a hassle for me to find a matching shade. The color selection is either too pale and pink or too orange and tan (my closest match was bronze beige). If you don't blend and fade this out on the perimeters of your face it will set weird like a mask so you need to blend and work this a lot before it dries.
If you have dry skin or dry patches DO NOT BUY THIS FOUNDATION.
I will edit this review in case more thoughts about this product come to mind during the week.