wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

First of all, I'm a light warm olive (I think? Undertones are weird) so in the summer I'm closer to Soft Beige (light medium warm) in the summer and Soft Ivory (light warm) in the winter. The undertones for me aren't perfect, but there's no orange or pink cast on my face and that's all I can really ask of a drugstore foundation at this point. I've bought dozens and 95% of them are actually unwearable for me. I really like that they put the tone and undertone on every bottle so there is 0 confusion.

Yes, it does smell like paint. It's not overwhelming (and I'm an artist) so I actually kind of like it. The bottle would be better as a pump, of course, but at least it's not one where you have to pour and end up with wayyy too much. The finish is medium in my opinion, but it's beautiful--blurring and not too matte. I set it with concealer, Coty Airspun powder, and NYX setting spray so it's not a big issue for me. It doesn't break out my skin, which is lovely, and works well with the elf primers.

It will get a bit oily throughout the day on me. I have oily skin though, so I'm not upset about it. I have to powder once or twice for a 12-16 hour makeup day. Other products blend well onto it, if you powder first (I'm not brave enough to try powder on a dried down foundation).

All in all, this is a wonderful foundation for $4-$6. I reach for it more than even maybelleine fit me (classic ivory is great in the summer for me, but there's no good winter shade so) or even my trusty revlon colorstay (separates on the face after a while even if the undertone matches perfectly).

on 10/28/2018 2:28:00 PM

I hate this. I have combination skin and during midday I get a little shine on my T zone, usually, but with this one I got oily all over my face. I don't care about the smell (is not bad) but the coverage is bad. When I first apply it it looks ok, all matte and nice but it emphasize my pores, actually it gathers into the pores and after one hour or two, the pore is the only one that has foundation in it! Other than that, the foundation from my T zone is gone. All I have is a slick appearence and some foundation on the contour of my face (mostly on my cheeks and chin). And what stays on my face is cakey.

I tried to apply it with a damp sponge, a dry one, foundation brush, with my fingers, with or without primer, I used setting powder and I got the same crappy result.

I bought it as a result of the highly appreciation that I saw online but now I wonder if those are really true or sponsored. I find it strange that this is so bad on my skin while I can use almost all kinds of foundation without any problem.

I will definitely not repurchase!

on 10/28/2018 12:01:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Did not work for me. Too drying and cakey looking as well as by the end of the day half of it is off my face even after setting it, Not enough coverage and it definitely streaks when applied with a brush

on 10/21/2018 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I am writing this review as I just finished the last drop of my Photo Focus foundation this morning and suddenly realized I cannot not have it! I very rarely ever finish an entire bottle of a liquid foundation, most of them expire and, sadly, have to go... This one was an exception. Definitely repurchasing it tomorrow.

It is a medium coverage foundation, buildable to full, in my opinion. Blends very easily with both a brush and a sponge. It gives me the nicest blurring effect, the skin looks nearly airbrushed after I finish my makeup. It is not dewy, nor very matt, something in the middle, just like I prefer (I have combination skin, normal on good days). Its long lasting power is another huge plus.

It's a really beautiful foundation and I could see it working on different skin types and for people with different makeup preferences. It's definitely worth trying for the price.

on 8/13/2018 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I started out loving the way this product looked on my skin over the course of my day. I looked past the fact that it smelled strongly of paint. I usually had to really buff it in to prevent streaking from my brushes and was able to use it. I've had a clear face for years. I've kept my same face product routine and its worked. I've been using it for a month and all of a sudden within the last two weeks I've had two huge cystic pimples on my forehead and cheek. I was devastated.. for one that I have spent so long without acne that I bruised my face trying to pop and get rid of these pimples. I've had acne in my teenage years but I'd never experienced cystic pimples in my life. I look on here and i see that other people had issues with break outs as well. I'm not sure what ingredient is to blame but i'd say be careful! because pimples won't happen over night or the next day. I've been using this for almost a month and got two huge pimples within the same week in the end.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

After test-running this on myself for a while, I ended up adding it to my pro-kit because it really does photograph GORGEOUSLY and the price can't be beat. The main drawbacks are thus: it smells like paint...literally Home Depot interior latex house paint; It is not specifically a long-wear formula. I have worked around this for a recent bridal party job by using Wayne Goss' technique of combining and layering with setting spray and it really did the trick! My bride was asked about 8 hours after her makeup was done if it had just been done an hour or 2 before. The color range on this is decent for a drugstore and some websites like Ulta offer an extended range. Coverage is medium and fairly buildable. Texture blends out nicely and can be sheered. Shades may set darker than they appear in bottle, but oddly the color range skews toward paler than you would expect from the description. (I'm usually around NC20 and wear mostly "fair-light" range products and I was in the "light-medium" category with this product. ") This may not be a luxury foundation, but it works and it does the job very, very well. For someone like me who needs to keep multiple shades on hand and can't shell-out for $45 a bottle, it's fantastic!

on 5/23/2018 2:14:00 PM

bleh.
i was really excited about this one, hearing lots of people rave about how great and affordable it is, but it just isn't for me. this foundation slides around my face, refuses to blend of buff into the skin, and clings to every single dry patch and bit of texture that i have. my forhead legitemately looks like sandpaper when i apply this. it does have a paint smell, which does not bother me personally, but the blending and texture issues definitely do.
i admit that the failure of this foundation is partially the fault of my skin, it's pretty rough and patchy. if you have smoother and less dry skin, i think it's worth a try, since it's only 6 dollars and does have some good reviews.

I‘m around an NC20, maybe a tad bit lighter and in the departement store „Soft Beige“ looked like a perfect match. However, it‘s way too dark..or maybe not even dark, but just very orange?! I‘m not sure, but the tone and undertone looked very off :/
The foundation itself is medium coverage I‘d say. It blends fairly well and the bottle is nice and hefty as well, which imo is always a plus.
But that‘s really all good I can say about this foundation, as it looked quite cakey and did not hold up well on my oily skin. Who thought it would be a good idea to draw a comparison between this foundation and ELDW?! They‘re not comparable - like at all. This one doesn‘t last any longer than your typical drugstore foundation, isn‘t exceptionally smudge or budge proof and doesn’t give you high coverage for that matter.

- oxidizes
- looks cakey
- the smell is terrible
- starts breaking up after ~4-5hrs
- transfers quite easily (and leaves you looking patchy)

Yeah, I wasn‘t a fan. I gave it to my sister who has more normal/combo skin, she doesn‘t like it that much either but it worked better for her than it was working for me.

on 4/5/2018 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have never bought an inexpensive foundation, but based on a recommendation I bought the Wet n Wild Photo Focus foundation.
It's terrific!
It's a 1 oz. size in a glass bottle with a spatula to transfer to your finger or put it directly on your face. I would have preferred a pump, but it's not that important.
The foundation goes on smoothly, blends well and most of all it covers all pores! The only negative is that you have to be fast when blending it or it will dry. I've used Estee and Lancôme and never had such a good experience.
It's not matte or dewy, it's extremely natural. Not cakey, not too heavy, nor too light. It's like your own skin, but better!
The lasting power is fabulous, I didn't have to re-touch it. It didn't settle into any lines and there was no oxidation whatsoever.
I'm fair, combo oily skin...this wasn't too drying or too "slick".
My skin is highly sensitive, but I had no reaction and it's fragrance free.
I bought the nude ivory, 363C. It's very hard to tell from photos, or from the bottle itself. I would have preferred a slightly pinker tone, but I'll definitely be using this every day.
I highly recommend this!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

This is such a weird foundation because it seems like it either works beautifully or ends up being a complete disaster. Sadly, I'm in the latter camp. This stuff picks up on every single dry spot and every single pore and just looks unpleasantly cakey on my face. The wide shade range is commendable, and it is less than $5, but that's about it. It does look like the type of formula that is better suited for oily skin, however.