wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.0

on 6/7/2018 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I wanted to try this foundation because I'd heard about it and Wet n Wild products have improved tremendously over the years. Overall, I like this foundation but I don't love it.

I'm a NW 15-20 in MAC and I found many fair foundations for me are warm (too yellow toned and me make look ill.). I bought Shell Ivory which is labelled as "Pale Neutral Toned" (the shade before it is warm toned.) It is an excellent match. PLEASE COMPANIES PUT THE UNDERTONES ON THE LABEL! It is very helpful to know if the foundation is warm, cool or neutral toned. Kudos to Wet n Wild for realizing that undertones matter.

I usually wear a foundation with a high spf (I have enough age spots aka sun damage and don't want more) but I knew it I doesn't have any (so it doesn't get flashback.)

I tried it with both brush and sponge/beauty blender application after applying a silicon based primer and NXY color corrector. I prefer a pump but I didn't mind the spatula (better than no application). It does have a strong paint smell. For me, it blended well and the texture was lovely. The coverage was medium but buildable (I added extra to my "problem" areas. I prefer full coverage due to very uneven skin tone.) It took a bit longer to dry than I prefer. The wear was about 6 hours (I prefer longer) but it did not look patchy. I do not irritate my sensitive combination skin.

To Summarize:

Pros (for me)
- Label clearly states the undertone, making it easier to match (Shell Ivory was an excellent match for my pale, cool toned skin).
- Blends well over with brush or beauty blender
- Texture is very good
- Does not irritate my sensitive /combination skin
- Very reasonable price

Cons: (for me)
- Coverage only medium (but buildable)
- Slower to dry (with brush or sponge)
- Not the longest wearing
- Strong paint smell (stronger than Revlon Colorstay)
- No SPF

I'm neutral about the spatula applicator.

For me, it is a good, not great foundation. I will use it as alternate for my primary foundation (Revlon Colorstay) for when I'm going to not be outside and I know I'm going to have my picture taken.

on 5/4/2018 1:00:00 AM

This is a surprisingly good foundation for the price. Nice shades for light skin, blends well with buildable coverage. The applicator and cap are a little odd, but overall I don't regret purchasing.

on 3/30/2018 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

For reference, I am a MAC NC30 (medium with warm undertones). I have this in the shade "Golden Beige."

This foundation has received very good reviews on Youtube; however, my experience with this foundation was not that great. While it has a great finish and medium coverage that's buildable to full, I found that there are two major issues with this foundation: lasting power and oxidation.

The foundation does not seem to last very long on the skin. It seemed to start fading after the 4 hour mark. In addition, it has the tendency to crease, esp. around the mouth and under-eye area. It also gets cakier throughout the day as the skin dries out.

The biggest deal breaker with this foundation is the oxidation. It seems to start oxidizing orange on my skin almost immediately after application and gets worse throughout the day. I looked on the reviews on the WnW website for this foundation and this seems to be a pretty common issue.

Hard pass on this foundation. I would not recommend this to a friend nor will I be repurchasing. Instead, opt to get their cushion foundation, which is absolutely fantastic!

on 3/14/2018 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Smells like paint and applies like paint. If you think that's good, think of a wall with pockmarks then paint it. From far away you can't see the pockmarks (i.e. my face) but up close it's horrible. Forget about building up the foundation because it goes into cake city after the first layer. Goodbye.

on 1/24/2018 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Lasts all day, not patchy and does not cling to the dry parts of my skin. I normally would never use a drug store foundation as I have very sensitive skin but it has not caused any reaction. I needed to switch from Nars sheer glow after they decided to test on animals and I wish I had switched years ago. Nars wore off quickly and clung to dry patches in comparison.
Smells like house paint in the bottle but the smell dissipates really quickly and does smell at all when on your face.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Finding a foundation that matches my skintone is a hard battle, and finding a cheap one that matches is even more amazing. I didn't actually like this when I grabbed it, I remember cursing the YT beauty gurus for conning me again. But after UD discontinued my primer and I had to switch, I decided to give this another try. I recommend a silicone based or heavier primer to get the best application. I did notice seperating near my nose when I didn't prime enough.

Pros: Non-oxidizing, palest shade is both the right shade for me and no yellow undertones, insanely affordable, coverage can be built up somewhat, doesn't settle into lines, long lasting, not tacky, has a nice glowy finish without being shiny.

Cons: Small shade range, the spatula applicator can be annoying/messy, needs the right primer to get a flawless application, might not be the best for oily skin and definitely slides around on my nose.

on 12/28/2017 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'll start this off saying I have normal-dry combo skin and like natural looking foundations. This foundation, while it has the coverage, just looks like makeup. It sits on top of the skin instead if melding with it, which emphasizes the look of my pores. I can't speak for the shade, as i grabbed one too dark.
I didn't mind the paddle applicator, it made the application a bit quicker. If you are concerned with bacteria growth, then the paddle will definitely gross you out. It's also a little bit messy.
Aside from the looks, it blended out nicely and could look good on skin with little texture, but it has since been refunded. :)

on 12/7/2017 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

It’s excellent for the price. Not too matte, not too dewy, and wears decently. Doesn’t feel thick or cakey on the skin, and coverage can be built up easily. The color selection is also good. I’ve been reaching for it a lot over my TF Born This Way.

My only complaint, and why I won’t give it 5 stars, is that it emphasizes skin texture like crazy. It doesn’t sink into pores but it does nothing to smooth them.

on 11/18/2017 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is not for dry skin - I will tell you right off the bat. If you have dry skin, you will need to put on a good moisturizer underneath for it to glide on more easily. The coverage is buildable light-medium and the finish is matte. I dont have to set it with a finishing powder as it is already matte on its own but you could if you want to. It stays on very long and the shade selection is great. Price point is also very low. I would enjoy it more if only it wasnt too cakey on me.

on 9/20/2017 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Update: this is a great foundation for summer humid months. I have oily skin but noticed now trying to use this foundation starting in fall/winter, my skin looks very dry and parched compared to the summer while using this and it was great. So I'll save this for my spring/summer skin, and stick to a more moisturizing satin foundation (Rimmel) during dry cold months.
ALSO ETA - FYI - trying this out again 7.2018 - I find that this starts out great, light and matte, but if you have oily skin and texture (orange peel pores) high silicone foundations do not sit well on my face, as my oils come through. It's not as bad as some others, but I find that a thicker, higher talc foundation helps combat the pores situation, vs. really thin foundations. If I blot every hour to keep my pores from appearing - this looks great on my skin.
--------------------
I deleted my first review of this foundation which was Jan 2017 - when it was brand new. There were only about three shades available to choose from in-store, and the one I picked was ghastly too light and I hated it. It was super dry, emphasized all my dry skin - even though I'm highly combo (so both oily and dry). Now that it's been out for almost a year - I decided to try this foundation again, since I found a shade that is almost identical to my skin tone (Soft Beige). I am mostly looking for a foundation that is light/medium, doesn't feel heavy on the skin. I have tried Revlon Colorstay (too heavy for my needs), Covergirl Outlast (same thing, too heavy), Physicians Formula, Burts Bees BB (too moisturizing), Tarte, Rimmel foundations (good, but still a bit too heavy but would still use over others), and then my HG NYX Total Control (the best foundation for my skin, I've used a full bottle).

I give this four lippies because for the cheap price ($4.98 is what I paid), the amount you get, the solid nice bottle (except wish it had pump) -- it's a really good CHEAP simple/basic foundation. Also, after side to side comparison on my face applied with a buffing brush - this foundation looks identical on my skin as my $13.99 HG NYX Total Control foundation. So identical that I couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face. My NYX shade is "Natural" and is a little more yellow than WnW's "Soft Beige" which pulls yellow but a little more pink (so neutral), but once applied to my face, you can't tell at all. It must just neutralize out. But the finish on my skin is EXACT (with moisturizer). I was blown away. That's a $9 price difference for me-- and WnW is a full ounce, NYX is barely .5 an ounce for $9 more.

If I prep my skin with my daily moisturizer well before I apply this (which I do anyways) it works very well for me with combo skin. I start out dry and turn oily by 4 hours. With moisturizing properly (which takes me seconds) - this stuff can look just a little powdery on my forehead (notorious spot for me) but I spray with a matte setting spray - and after an hour or two it settles into my skin and looks very natural. I highly recommend giving this a try if you've haven't tried it, or are looking for a cheap, basic foundation to cover discoloration/melasma, light scarring - I think it's great. It also is talc free, just like NYX. I think the NYX and this foundation are pretty identical in ingredients, but the NYX is obviously much runnier in consistency but this one blended out easily. I don't wear heavy foundation, and only dot it on a few places on my face and then blend out with a RT buffing brush for light coverage - so if you are looking for that - try this out. I had no issues with oxidization, "Soft Beige" was a perfect match for me with a lighter powder on top to set. I am also very sensitive to smells, but the smell of this didn't bother me since it goes away immediately - and I'm not sensitive to paint/medicinal smells, but fragrance and this isn't heavily fragranced/floral. So the smell for me was not a problem. This also washes off very easily - I wash with a light cleanser but always use a Simple makeup wipe to help remove most of my foundation. This came off easily like NYX.

I'm really glad I decided to give this a try again 9 months later - and if I have any issues, I'll for sure update my review. This $5 foundation is a go-to for me and is replacing my empty HG $14 NYX Total Control.